Laporte trap problem!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportinclays

185 laporte trap won't stop cycling.  

It's one of our club traps. It worked fine last time used but set it up on Sunday & it keeps cycling after the pull button is pressed once. 

Iv tested the lead, button and limit switch, all working fine. There not a simple wiring setup like bowman or promatic. Do the electrics give bother on them. ??

Thanks

When you say that you have tested the limit switch, does that include it's position ? They are known to move.

I agree with Westley in that it sounds like the limit switch needs adjusting.

That is the microswitch that stops the arm after the clay has been released.

Do not adjust it with the arm cocked or with the trap switched on and disconnect the release button.

When adjusted do not squat down to watch the limit switch while testing the trap, it's a case of trial and error.

The other possibility is that the release button is jammed on.

Vic.

No it's not the button or limit switch. It's working & even if I work the switch myself (no spring) it still won't stop the arm.

There is no release solenoid on this trap so that's out. Possible a faulty relay. Thought It might be a common problem & save me having to replace parts until fault is found. 

4.  THE THROWING ARM DOES NOT STOP DECOCKING AND THROWING TARGETS: -The cocking circuit micro-switch is defective or out of adjustment, and causes the cocking motor to run continually.   -In 12 volt box, the relay is defective and sticks.  WARNING:  THE MACHINE CONTINUES TO THROW CLAYS EVEN WHEN SWITCHED OFF. It is imperative to disconnect the power supply. 
http://uk.laporte.biz/media/10442

Page 8/34

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I work for The Clay Pigeon Company as a technician for Laporte traps.

To pin-point your actual fault we need to know the exact control circuit fitted to the machine. I'm assuming it's in 12V DC?

It could be a power relay failed closed - this exhibits constant firing and you have to remove the power to make it stop.

If you could call me at The Clay Pigeon Company on 01949 843777 or email me: [email protected] we can get your problem sorted.

Regards

Traptech Andy is the dogs danglies with LaPorte, nothing is ever too much trouble for him and he works wonders for the price of ample Beers.

Great bloke, great service, great traps.

Hi Andy.  Yes it's 12v dc trap. Has a white plastic control box at rear which is attached to another box with 4 plastic screws. The pull lead plugs in under the box. The arm/disarm switch is on the left side (spring side) of the white box. 

Theres a control circuit bord inside with red & green led's on top. 

Ill try post a pic if it will help you identify it. 

When the trap is switched to arm, nothing happens until the pull button is pressed (this is normal afaik) but instead of the arm stoping when it throws the limit switch, it keeps throwing clays until I switch it off with the on/off switch.  

Hope that makes sense. 

A picture paints a thousand words as they say!

That's the old 1150104 board that we don't use on new machines anymore, so I'd guess the machine is somewhere around 10+ years old?

Symptoms of a microswitch fault are usually it either fires twice and shuts down (the board can't "see" the signal from the switch - either a contact failing "open" or out of alignment and the arm doesn't touch it) or if it fails "closed" the machine enters "uncock" mode where it only moves when given a fire command (similar to operating the machine via the uncock switch) - the board thinks the machine is armed - the board will also chatter the relays in a "chick chick chick" type of noise

Neither though are apparent from your testing of the microswitch. When the machine is constantly firing does disconnecting any release cable or radio remote attached stop the machine from it's operation? If there's a short in the external release circuits disconnecting anything externally attached it will normally stop the trap from constant fire and it will complete a cycle, arm itself and await a command.

Are you aware with no release cable or radio attached you can arm it from the uncock/off/on switch? You have to move the switch to uncock, then quickly move it through off to on. Normally the trap will fully arm and sit awaiting a command.

To be honest though, you may have a board failure, albeit minor. Something on it is obviously giving the motor full power, be that the power relay failed closed or something else on the board has failed and is telling the power relay to stay closed.

If we assume it has failed you have various options: Send the faulty board to CPC so I can do a full test on it and hopefully repair it, or purchase a reconditioned or new board.

Another option is to upgrade the controls to the latest board, though this would involve adding a new microswitch bracket and moving the microswitch to the rear of the throwing plate (may not be easy depending on how much spare cable is left on the original)

Hope this information helps?

Andy

We bought the trap about 4 years ago 2nd hand so yes it may be over 10 yo. I've tested the lead for a short & it's fine. 

No I wasn't aware it could be armed without the pull lead plugged in but I did try unplugging it mid cycle but still didn't stop the arm from firing. 

Ok it's starting to look like a faulty board. Is it still under warranty??!! .. 

Can you give me an idea of price to repair if possible or replace the board?

thanks again. 

We bought the trap about 4 years ago 2nd hand so yes it may be over 10 yo. I've tested the lead for a short & it's fine. 

No I wasn't aware it could be armed without the pull lead plugged in but I did try unplugging it mid cycle but still didn't stop the arm from firing. 

Ok it's starting to look like a faulty board. Is it still under warranty??!! .. 

Can you give me an idea of price to repair if possible or replace the board?

thanks again. 
I doubt it's still under warranty, I believe Laporte Traps come with a 3 year warranty (depending on the trap)

Hi,

All Laporte Competition machines now are 3 years warranty from new. So I have to unfortunately say it's a little out of it's warranty at this point in time, seeing as we've not fitted them in a sporter for approximately 10 years-ish.

There should be a 6 digit serial number stamped onto the front of the chassis near the main arming shaft which will reveal it's true age (First number is the year, Second and third is the Month and last three the build number) - check the motor as well, there's usually a label giving a year somewhere if it's still visible, though can be inaccurate if it's had a replacement.

New replacement is £70 + VAT. Currently I know we've no refurb boards in. Repair cost of your board? Depending on how easy the fault is to find and rectify...as cheap as £20, or as expensive as a new board (Repairs and refurbs usually work out at around half the price of a new board on average)

As an aside, do you have a manual/part diagrams for this machine? I can email these out if required.

Regards

Andy

Latest posts

Back