ips does beating

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Ian all the hard work you have both done has paid off great to see you get the retrieve and eze performing well.  :thumbsup:

Well done Ian, we were badly in need of a picker up yesterday, I am still  'spittin feathers'  from retrieving my Charges birds  !

Gareth, Phil, keith

thank you, I was so proud of her ?

Only just seen the pics on big screen in office, the state of my trousers is an embarrassment. Have you noticed that cocker handlers are always ten times more dirty than other breeds. Its the last time I go beating without waterproofs on :smile:

thank you salop ?

its been a hard road with some ups and downs and times that i doubted if I could get anywere near were we are now but its been great fun.

oh and if anyone is interested I have never so much as scruffed her its all been reward based training ?

Ian, just for your information Salop Sniper has always been treated very gently during his training , first of all by his Father , but more recently by Kelly Anne  who is in to reward training.

She bought him a new gun the other week. :smile:

Races are not 'fixed'  there are just errors of judgement !  :smile:

I do very nice gunslips, cartridge bags and many other shooting leather goods , very high quality, sensible prices , made in Walsall .

Re reward based training

on sat I had a pocket full of cooked chicken (to keep her energy up) and a few dog biscuits. Whilst waiting about between drives I gave eze a snack of chicken. One of the guns who also works a spaniel looked at me in disgust and said "do you give her treats" I just replied "yes I do" the thing is most of the time whilst beating his dog is a way off and being continually yelled at whilst my one is generally within fifteen yards. My one ain't perfect and has become a little sticky but I would rather have to coax her to get on than have her begger off and go self employed. I shall continue with the treats as its worked so far.

ips,

I wouldn't worry about the Gun looking at you in disgust for giving Eze treats.

As a paying Gun he possibly cannot afford treats for his dog.

Perhaps you could buy him a recall whistle?

good point, I shall get him a whistle and a bag of bone shaped biccies ?

Re reward based training

on sat I had a pocket full of cooked chicken (to keep her energy up) and a few dog biscuits. Whilst waiting about between drives I gave eze a snack of chicken. One of the guns who also works a spaniel looked at me in disgust and said "do you give her treats" I just replied "yes I do" the thing is most of the time whilst beating his dog is a way off and being continually yelled at whilst my one is generally within fifteen yards. My one ain't perfect and has become a little sticky but I would rather have to coax her to get on than have her begger off and go self employed. I shall continue with the treats as its worked so far.
I wouldn't worry about it, i was sneered at for using a sidebyside today by someone who had never seen one before.  Some people get upset when they see other people doing things that they can't, a shame really, if roles were reversed i would be happy for them.  Really won't be attending any corporate shoots next year...

Re reward based training

Absolutely nothing wrong with reward based training,I personally only use this method when they are pups and then move to a praise based reward.But as with all things in life you do what works best for you.Dont know if you have seen any trialing? Some of the handlers give their dog a damned good beating before the trial,keeps them keen they say.i know what I'd like to do to them.

pmg

Apparently they are cheat's guns and make game shooting too easy... which was news to me!
ha, news to me too ?. I still have a longing for a "propper" game gun ?

Possible to pick up a good used sxs for 200 or so at the moment, crazy really, but you need to allow money to have to fit to you.

Back