ips does beating

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

Ok here we go full report of ips and a 17 month old cocker on spaniel on first ever game day.

All things considered she was bloody fantastic, it went so much better than I ever imagined and apart from heavy driving rain I thoroughly enjoyed the experience as did Mrs ips who joined in the beating line, she has never been one to turn down a new adventure. I did not pay much attention to the other approx 8 dogs but Mrs ips and my mate report that eze was definitely one of the best there so I am propper chuffed considering I trained her to replicate not to actually work.

Met my mate close to the shoot then made our way to the first drive, luckily he wasn't shooting today but was beeting with his sprocker so he was able to show me the ropes. I have been cacking myself all week about her expected run wild and deaf for a while but this did not happen she hupped while we waited for the off then I sent her out in the section of wood that I was told to go, off she went me ready on whistle but she worked like a pro out to 15yds turned on the whistle stopped and recalled 100% a short drive birds were scarce she had no flushes but bloody ell was I chuffed with her she was even better than when training as though she knew this was serious stuff.
We had a short half mile drive to park near the other four woods then off we trot up a hill in driving rain, I popped a lead on her as my mate instructed as he didn't want her to get in the wood until we were at the start point. In we go and again she starts off very receptive BUT she flushes a rabbit and legs it, no recall but came back after 20 seconds ish, I can forgive this considering other dogs were now all over the place some running side to side along the beating line and at least 3 taken through on a lead. The rest of the drive went well she responded to turn whistle etc and flushed a couple of phessies, she didn't chase as she has already learned she cant catch anything on the wing. We walked towards the next wood for the next drive and she chased a rabbit along a hedge line but returned after 20 seconds ish, no harm done but need to work on stop some more.
Cant remember the third drive to be honest but nothing bad happened or I would have.
By now were in real open land about to enter the fourth wood and the wind was biting and the rain was heavy, she was shivering as we waited for the off but once were hunting she was fine, this was a pretty thick wood and I was instructed to work a section through the middle, eze did nothing wrong and never went out of site she hunted were I told her obeying hand commands and whistle turns like a pro. I am by now getting into the swing of things and enjoying every wet cold second as was eze.
Long walk over fields with sheep (but she doesn't bother about them) to get to fifth and final drive through heavy gorse type wooded area, I took my instruction from the boss chap and worked her down a fence line bobbing in and out of gorse bushes (sorry if terminology is wrong in any of this by the way) she flushed a phessie then decided there would be more so legged it down the fence line for fifty yds recalled after three whistles and a verbal get here, no harm done.
Nice blokes, nice area on Lancashire Cumbria border, I had a fabulous day and I thought she did very well, I got invited back anytime I like and offered a brace. The best thing for me personally was seeing all the training coming out and I have to admit I am chuffed as anything that I was able to get her through it only losing control three times and for only a matter of seconds all good Imo
Mrs ips and I now drying off at home eze asleep on the sofa at the side of me, all is well with the world.

Pleased it went well mate ;)  you'll have to get out more often ! 

cheers pal, most fun day I have had for a long time, cant wait to do it again.

A good day Ips and you didn't show Eze up at all I bet she's really pleased with you.

thanks for your kind words sian

cheers James and thank you for your advice and encouragement via pm.

Well done ips,         now it just so happens that I have a very nice Henry Monk of Chester, boxlock ejector, 28" fixed choke barrels, nice wood, Silvers pad, cased, etc. etc. that I could be persuaded to part with    :???:  !

cheers Keith. To be honest I have never had the slightest interest in shooting game but this gundog handling mallarkey is great. A certain pride to be had watching your dog work knowing that at least some of it was down to my training input. I am hooked.

Well done ips. I only do a bit of rough shooting, and it's all about the dog work couldn't care less if I never  fired a shot as long as the dog works well. 

cheers Keith. To be honest I have never had the slightest interest in shooting game but this gundog handling mallarkey is great. A certain pride to be had watching your dog work knowing that at least some of it was down to my training input. I am hooked.
Wait until you have had 45 years of it. I STILL keep looking for the dog after 2 years of being dogless. SWMBO stated it was her,  or a dog.............. She stops on the whistle, walks to heel well enough and she has one hell of a nose, it's the water work to perfect now. It's the cold nose I still miss !   :lol:

cheers Gavin, yes mate I now fully understand that sentiment. For the record we never had pets growing up I didn't even like dogs. Lynn had a cat when we met 18 yrs ago that was my introduction to pets. I got eze in Jan 15 at 6 months old my first ever dog. Now I get it.

Wow. well done, sound like you were quite a team. You must be chuffed to bits mate, and rightly so. :good:

cheers, yes mate I am very very chuffed and so proud of her.

Nice one Ips. We had a feeling it would go well.

When I say we, I'm taking about No.1topdog too who says "Keep hold of that dog Ips. This really shows you the value of getting the right advice, from the right people, and applying it correctly. But then you knew that anyway, because that's how you approach your shooting".  :wink:

Keep it up and keep up with the reports. There's people out here who want to hear about your, and your dog's progress. :smile:

cheers Ian your very kind. Say hello to TD for me as I haven't spoken for a while.

Well done ips great report on your first outing with eze she sounds like a talented little dog who works well under you, its a great feeling seeing you dog work after all your hard work with the training and when it pays off like it has for you it can really give you a buzz of satisfaction and pleasure. well done  :thumbsup:

When I was in a syndicate in Wiltshire I had a one year old lab. Had it working picking up  but it kept legging it miles away. A fellow syndicate gun called Roy (1st officer air crew snoby git) said "that dog will never make a gun dog as long as its got a hole up it's arse".

The season ended and I started training it again, it kept running off, one day I had a bag of doggy sausage rolls in a very noisy crackly bag in my pocket I reached in to give the dog one, it was straight at my side. It then ran off, I rustled the bag hey presto straight back, sitting, working perfect. Cracked the problem.

New season started, dog working perfectly as soon as it got restless I rustled the bag, it behaved perfect, great gun dog.

It was around Christmas time snow and ice freezing. We were shooting ducks over a frozen river, Roy shot a duck and it dropped the other side of the river he said "Rosso put your dog on that for me" - I replied "Roy that dog will never work for you as long as its got a hole up its arse".

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one Ips. We had a feeling it would go well.

When I say we, I'm taking about No.1topdog too who says "Keep hold of that dog Ips. This really shows you the value of getting the right advice, from the right people, and applying it correctly. But then you knew that anyway, because that's how you approach your shooting".  :wink:

Keep it up and keep up with the reports. There's people out here who want to hear about your, and your dog's progress. :smile:
Good to hear that someone is in touch with No1TopDog.  I very much miss his excellent input on here in the past.  I hope he is well and please send him my best wishes not just for Christmas but in all things!

Back