ips does beating

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SECOND SEASON SMALL SHOOT DAY 3

1st DRIVE
I was shooting today in place of my friend who could not make it. I had eze tied to my stick on the peg, she was calm and relaxed. No shots fired by me.
2nd DRIVE
Beating, eze was very good she walked at heel, ish and sat up and waited at the edge of the wood. Hunted her in some nasty cover but kept recalling, stopped her a few times and redirected her into cover. No issues in fact one of the guns also beating with a dog commented that she put a lot of birds up and that he was impressed :)
3rd DRIVE
Shooting, this time I sat eze off lead next to my stick (brand new you were right it does act as an anchor) she never moved a muscle she was calm and quite relaxed. I had two birds to shoot AT, one I missed one I pricked and we think we got it in the next drive as it flew into that wood, oh and one good bird which was unmissable BUT I had left safety on, doh, bloody auto safety. :(
4th DRIVE
Beating, I was in a wide open area of the wood with only fallen trees and the odd tufty bit of grass, I haven't beat this side before so ideal opportunity to have her quartering open land. She again was very good she turned well stopped and recalled although there were a couple of slow recalls which required a stern "get here" which had the desired effect.
5th DRIVE
shooting, eze off lead next to stick at my left at 11 oclock I had two birds to shoot AT both missed bad day at the office shooting wise but its fare to say I was out of it today as the final bag was doubled on this last drive,
Final bag
39 pheasant
1 woodcock
2 pigeon

Apparently they are cheat's guns and make game shooting too easy... which was news to me!
Quite right too, anyone knows it has to load 'from the front' to be a genuine 'sporting gun'    !       :???:

ips,

Dare I suggest that you stand with your thumb on the safety button, pushing it forward as you mount the gun, rather than get into the bad habit of pushing it off after loading the gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
westley

I never take it off after loading, the plan is as you say, when mounting BUT I am a dumb ass and sometimes forget. ?

westley

I never take it off after loading, the plan is as you say, when mounting BUT I am a dumb ass and sometimes forget. ?

you are supposed to put it on before mounting and take it off when the load is shot  :lol:

Sorry wrong site :bye:

eze enjoying the leaf pile in her equifleece dog coat. Great bit of kit as you can see it stays put. ?

SEASON 2 SHOOT 2 BIG SHOOT
I am still not fully confident with her steadiness on the big shoot with high density of birds, she "probably" would be better than I think but I can't bring myself to risk it so lots of time spent on the lead. She has been quite good lately as I have put a lot of tine into loose lead training BUT it did not have much if any effect on a game day so again I was pulled around which is not fun, in fact its bloody hard beating your way through cover with a dog on a lead.
FIRST DRIVE
Two of us with the keeper blanked in then met some other beaters and worked through a wood with fairly medium cover. I worked her off the lead and she was quite good, I popped lead on when things got hot near the flushing point. All went well.
SECOND DRIVE
Blanked in a hedgrow up a lane then beat a wood in hunted her for a short time then on lead through very thick cover, short hunt at the end. All went well.
THIRD DRIVE
This was the long difficult drive were we had the bog off episode at the end last time. Hunted her early on and she was very good again then popped lead on when it got very hot with a lot of birds tapped in to the flushing point. Kept the lead on back to minibus to avoid any bog offs. All went well.
FOURTH DRIVE
Three of us beating a long thin wood meeting up with other beaters at a cover crop. She was very good on this one, hunted close quartered well and stopped to flushes. She had two hare off her nose and stopped to whistle, pleased with that. Lead on again at the end when it all got hot. All went well.
FIFTH DRIVE
Blanked in a wood which had medium cover in it, she was off lead for the duration as keepers wife assured me no harm could be done, she was very good and steady to flush.
Then we beat a wide but not deep wood with very very thick bramble in the middle. On lead for duration as I hadn't been in this drive before and it was very very thick cover. I got physically stuck in the bramble as did the dog who was pulling like mad I assumed to get out the bramble, I had no choice but to let go of the lead, I then found out why she was pulling so much, she pegged a bird just in front of her and was now really stuck and with a bird in her mouth. I eventually got free, she eventually got out with the bird, she was now really clamping down on it but after some coaxing released it but released it too soon and it ran off into the cover. I could not see it or get to it at that point and we couldn't find it after the drive. I am not too concerned as I witnessed two other dogs peg birds the difference being that unfortunately ours was not found so I feel bad about the bird having been injured .

All things considered she was ok and apart from the pegging there were no issues however its fare to say that I had her on the lead a lot once again. Presumably this is the right thing to do but too me it feels like a bit of a cop out.

Right, 'overages'  are the birds over the agreed number to be shot, that have 'found' their way into the game cart.

Commission is a back hander awarded for what is basically,  your job. Like when a Salesman sells something, the Company are so surprised that they reward him financially,  in the hopes that he may be able to  repeat his prowess !    :ahappy:

I know what overage is but still don't understand the commission bit , sorry am I being thick ?

ah, sorry mate I didn't get it, I am a thicko were game shoots are concerned ?

SECOND SEASON SMALL SHOOT DAY 4

Well that was the best we have been to date (apart from the shooting) she was very compliant with all commands and the heel training Lynn and I have been doing lately paid off as with some nagging she heeled reasonably well between drives.

FIRST DRIVE

beating this line eze hunted very eagerly and very close she had a couple of flushes from cover and was steady to flush.

SECOND DRIVE

shot this drive but didn't as no birds over me.

THIRD DRIVE

beating this line again eze was very good she hunted close and turned well stopped and recalled well. As the cover became light and we were in open woodland other dogs were all over the place but eze quartered very well indeed.

FOURTH DRIVE

beating this line all went well, at the end we helped another beater on a strong runner in heavy cover. The two dogs both winded the bird and other dog appeared with the bird, eze decided she had been done so robbed the bird off it. She gave it too hand no bother and I apologised to the chap who wasn't too bothered.

FIFTH DRIVE

shot this line had one bird between me and next peg first shot clipped it second shot didn't happen as I got confused with double trigger, flamin double triggers anyway the other gun got a shot off. This is the good bit. We had that bird down and another in adjacent field. After climbing over a wall and cutting my thumb on barbed wire I heeled her and sent her on a "get out" she went straight to it picked it and carried the bird which was big cock and nearly as big as her, she came straight to me and delivered to hand releasing it only after a "dead" command. Sat her in front looking at me and sent her thirty yards with a "back" command she took a bit of a diagonal line so I had to stop her (which she did) and handler her onto the bird with a hand command, she was off the line so I stopped her again and gave a "back" hand signal, she found it, picked it and delivered to hand no messing. Very pleased with her today she was steady and reliable and had two fabulous (Imo) retrieves.

DSCN0024(1).JPG

thanks matt

yes very busy next month .

shooting esp boxing day with shortlegs

beating on wed 28th dec

boundary shoot thing 2nd jan

beaters day 1st feb

beating every Monday and every other sat at small shoot.

phew

SEASON 2 SHOOT 3 BIG SHOOT

1st DRIVE
blanked a hedge line and a spinney then headed off across a large field to the wood. A longish narrow wood that four of us incl keeper tapped in then met another beating line at the flush point. Had her on the lead apart from a short hunt at the end . She was steady to flush and responded well to direction, stop and recall.

2nd DRIVE
blanked up a private lane with keepers wife. Hedges and small overgown areas each side then up a hedgeline and over a field then into a wood. Had her on lead and tried to get some kind of heelwork but its hard to do any training of this in the scenario (obviously) then traverse a fence into thick cover of bracken, and some thorney stuff, tapped in then short hunt at the end and again she worked very well and complied with all commands.

3rd DRIVE
this is the long and arduous drive on a steep hillside, lots of birds. I hunted her for a short time halfway as the cover needed a dog in or we may as well have not been there . She hunted were I directed her and recalled well but she started getting "hot" so i took her off the heat by way of popping lead on. I gave her another short hunt at the end and nothing bad happened although she did pull out into cover further than I would have liked but this is the spot she buggered off on first day so at least that didn't happen.

4th DRIVE
partridge, in very very heavy thorney stuff. I asked keepers wife to let me know when its safe to let her off when she cant do any harm, she replied "work her Ian, she cant do any harm in here, anyway I have lost mine already" this is as I say very dense thick nasty cover but eze was straight in. She flushed and came out of the cover to check in with me. She needed quite a bit of verbal and whistle as she was getting very "hot" but I managed to keep on top of the situation and she did comply with all commands. Another beater commented half way through how much he liked her and how good she was, I replied "the only thing wrong with her is that she needs a better handler than me" he just laughed.

5th DRIVE
we blanked in a wood / pen, I kept her on lead until it opened out to light easy cover then thought stuff it and let her off to work the cover, she flushed half a dozen birds and either stopped or checked in. Keepers wife commented that "she did very well there". Then a big wood tapped in by two beating lines sort of diagonally to a corner flush point, on lead for duration due to lots of walking birds so I took the opportunity to try and instill some steadiness to "birds walking about in a wood" with my new command which I am working on which is "steady" my theory is to turn her off from work mode and remain relaxed (as possible) at loose heal.

All in all a good day with a few encouraging short hunts and generally good behaviour. The heel off lead was quite good and at times all be it a few her lead work was "marginally improved"
I need to continue with heel work both on and off lead and also try to get her recall sharper, its good but I would like it to be a little sharper / faster

Sounds like you done pretty good again mate. Get the heel work nailed and keep her off lead at heel when birds are walking in front. Command I use is LEAVE HIM.  

Sounds like you done pretty good again mate. Get the heel work nailed and keep her off lead at heel when birds are walking in front. Command I use is LEAVE HIM.  
That's funny his wife keeps saying that !

Back