ips does beating

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are using your dog purely for beating you will soon learn what is required from your shoot.By that I mean some shoots (generally large) want dogs in the cover to flush as they have large numbers of birds and are trying to meet large bag days.Smaller shoots however would like your dog to flush one or two at a time hence the reason the drop,now try to teach the dog the difference and your are better man than me

thanks

well I only intend to beat and of course dogging in. Beating I have done is small shoot with low numbers of birds down so its a get in there job. Dogging in is a commercial shoot expecting 250 bird days, keeper has assured me beating so not sure if that will be different to my small syndicate job. I can see the need for drop to shot for walked up but for my scenario I consider breaking away from flush with a turn whistle and or "gone now commmand" or a full recall to be more beneficial than a stop to flush but I am a novice handler so I could be wrong and open to advice or observations ?

I would be inclined to use the stop Ian on the commercial shoot when beating the line you will need full control of eze or you could end up ruining a drive as they want a controlled flush of the birds not all out in one go where the guns would not have the sport they have paid for. On your small shoot its not a problem as you are flushing small numbers .

Your absolutely right with holding your dog/ turning.The problem for the dog is it doesn't know a small shoot from a large one and I bet you it will be like a bull in a china shop on its first big day.I can't speak for all but most shoots I've worked on appreciate your time and dog and realise we can't all be Crufts champions

this is all good info, Gareth yes your bang on syndicate shoot is small numbers so dog can get stuck in. She is steady to flush in cover stops or sits but in open land dogging in she doesn't chase as such but pushes on until they get going properly. I am a bit concerned about the commercial shoot as I appreciate the beat will be slower than the syndicate, her stop is usually dependable BUT

Your absolutely right with holding your dog/ turning.The problem for the dog is it doesn't know a small shoot from a large one and I bet you it will be like a bull in a china shop on its first big day.I can't speak for all but most shoots I've worked on appreciate your time and dog and realise we can't all be Crufts champions
I'm the same as you on the shoots I've worked on and agree the dog doesn't know the difference and I've experienced the bull in the china shop and its not a nice experience with a keeper screaming at you and it was a tough lesson learned ! worked my spaniel closer after that with more control to be able to stop the bull in a china shop happening again and the dog soon learned after more schooling to the stop whistle.  

I will work on my stop which is good but she occasionally goes deaf. I would hate to let the keeper down as we now have a good relationship.

If your working cover Ian and you know eze is steady when working in that just keep her a little tighter than your small shoot so she doesn't have the opportunity to push on to far and chase but you'll have to be on your guard on the bigger shoot as there'll be so much scent and action going on she could get over excited and as you put it go deaf .

Doing good mate,videos are good. Not quite to trialling standard but when you go beating there wont be many dogs do better. Most will be gone over the horizon and your Eze will be a real star and people will ask you how you do it. Keep it up. 

cheers BN ;)

but tonight's session was not so good :(

stop and recall were very poor once she was in the open and bumped groups of partridge. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Dogging in....
Whilst pondering on why there was so few birds out I happened upon a bloke with a GSP off lead running through a small wood in the middle of a field on the estate way off any path. I walked over to him and explained that he was not on a path and therefore trespassing. His dog was now 100yards away and ignoring recall and he proudly tells me the dog doesn't chase "very often" and its 3 weeks since it last caught a bird I politely told him its a good job its me having words and not the keeper. UNBELIEVABLE

If it happens again, ask him for his address and explain that you will be running your dog around his 'little piece of England', should get a response !

ips.

It is worth tracking down a copy of a book called 'Fair Game' by a Charlie Parkes and John Thornley .(around £15 on fleabay) It covers most of the Law regarding huntin, shootin and fishin, including the answer to your earlier question AND the fact that your new found friend is trespassing on land in pursuit of game, if he is hunting with his dog.

This is were we are at, sat to flush no whistle

Latest posts

Back