I wasn't going to gloat.....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What chippy says. Setting an adj comb up is not rocket science.

I've got a pattern plate set up at my place so might do it tomorrow. It's far to beautiful to go out in this weather.

Setting the gun up so that you are looking down the rib is very simple. However, if the shooter is standing / holding awkwardly, you can be moving the comb to a weird position to line up with a weird body / head position. So, it works to a degree, but is not optimal.

IMHO, first ensure that your hold and head position is "right". It is personal.. But any beginner should at least go with a conventional hold. THEN move the comb to line up.

The above is a general note, as I don't know Woody of course.

What chippy says. Setting an adj comb up is not rocket science.
I have to agree, by all means have plenty of coaching, practice and advice but setting a gun up is not something someone else should do for you. True as Will says you might have an awkward stance or some obvious flaw but that would manifest itself regardless of gun type and again needs to be addressed and eradicated by yourself.

I always shoot a new gun as it comes for at least a full round, then make minor adjustments to dial out odd recoil or try and improve on the sight picture or simply the ease of mounting etc. 

The set up and sight picture you NEED is that which is the most fluid and makes the gun easy to shoot well with, I fail to see how a third party can enter your body to offer better advice than your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will qualify the above by saying that I have seen some fairly bizarre set ups that seemed improvable if for no other reason than the fact their owners are invariably average shots but even then the real (more pressing) problems lie elsewhere.

Absolutely agree with hammy there are some very none text book methods used to great effect by some very good shooters.

I will add that comb height / sight picture call it what you will has many factors to consider such as target perception gun speed ones own method etc and imo comb height cannot be successfully set up on a static gun fine adjustment must be made only by noting quality of kills. Taking top off target means comb should be lowered to lower poi If taking bottom off target raise comb to raise poi. You don't need to spend money on a stock fitter all you need is a mate to take note of kills and preferably a dtl layout with Trap locked off to throw straight target from peg 3 your friendly tame ground manager will be happy to do this. Minor adjustment to comb can then be made on subsequent shooting days as soon as you have a bad round as adjustable anything will be the first thing to blame but prob the last thing that was at fault. Synical you say, no not I just a realist.

Get it set, then leave it. I've had no problems with this over the years
Yes but the reality is for most people if it's adj you will fiddle with it. It's human nature for normal people to blame a miss on adjustment being out by a thou of an inch :)

Surely the whole point of having an adjustable stock is so that you can change it ....... winter coats, summer vests etc.  :fie:

At least when you buy a new CG, you get a decent spares kit - sometimes a new gun!!! :santaclaus:   

Surely the whole point of having an adjustable stock is so that you can change it ....... winter coats, summer vests etc.  :fie:

At least when you buy a new CG, you get a decent spares kit - sometimes a new gun!!! :santaclaus:
If I would need adjusting to my stock because of more clothes, I rather stay home and wait for a warmer day ;-)

The gun I had before had custom made stock and I shot reasonably good with it, but my HPX stock is better because of the details and knowhow that J. Jeffries applied suiting me.

I have an adjustable rib on my gun and adjustable comb, adjustable poi on the barrels adjustable trigger pull the best thing I ever did was chuck the tools to adjust everything in the bin and learn to shoot it as it was..............and I'm still sh*te!

I have an adjustable rib on my gun and adjustable comb, adjustable poi on the barrels adjustable trigger pull the best thing I ever did was chuck the tools to adjust everything in the bin and learn to shoot it as it was..............and I'm still sh*te!
Perhaps you need just a small adjustment??    :prankster:

Perhaps you need just a small adjustment??    :prankster:
Maybe I need to wind me neck in.....

I made adjustments to the stock at home, mounting the gun onto some tape on the mirror.  The sight picture of the rib looked good.

I then set up a pattern plate on the farm and took some shots at it. i was consistently a little left, and too high.  I pushed the cast over a touch more and dropped the comb back slightly.  I was happy with how straight i was shooting, but i was still a tad high.  I will drop the POI with the adjustable rib slightly.

I'd say the shot was about 75/25 above the POI.  We had a trap set up so I shot some Driven, L-R, R-L, and going away. I was really happy with how I shot the crossers.  Started badly on going away until my buddy pointed out they had a horrible curl on them and to shoot the right hand side of them.  After that they all got smoked :)

Driven was tough.  It's such a different sight picture to my 682. I got on them eventually.

I'm sure it will take time to get used to the different shaped gun.

One potential issue is how you shoot the plate. If you are checking the rib, taking time to make sure your face pressure on the comb is just-right, placing the bead on the cross, then you will learn what your gun does as a rifle. However, it may be a different affair when you shoot a moving clay. In the heat of action, you may be placing your face differently on the comb in terms of position and by how hard you press your face in - especially if you shoot gun down. So, try and shoot the plate imagining it were a clay and act as if it were. This is why many prefer to shoot a straight going away clay to learn where they are shooting. Personally I only use a plate to see cartridge pattern (not position).

Will is spot on pattern plate to check pattern the clue is in the title. Shooting at a plate tells you begger all about gun fit and only an indication of poi as there are no dynamics of gun swing or target perceptoon etc taken into account.

Only my opinion of course.

Back