hypothetical gun question

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A nice 687 Silver pigeon EELL 30" M/C would fit the bill & it just so happens I have 1  :wink:
no it wouldn't, I have a 687 eell diamond pigeon BUT although I have shot quite well with it "on occasions" but consistency is an issue.

second set of barrels for the DT ....um. Were would one get them and who would get em to fit ??
Prob bestvplace to start in GMK.  I read somewhere of a dealer who was organising  trips to italy to have stocks made to measure who may be able to organise it. 

Beretta, pal had a EELL made with 2 sets of barrels, a quick trip to Italy  with the wife, (browny points) or bet Brian could sort another set of multi barrels for you
never thought about a set might have a word with brian

Prob bestvplace to start in GMK.  I read somewhere of a dealer who was organising  trips to italy to have stocks made to measure who may be able to organise it. 
stocks bang on as you know Paul. I would shoot it before anything else if it wasn't for the choke and the weight, but I may be worrying about nothing. Will take it to fish next week and have a bash

some interesting replies.

foghorn leghorn is out, I have shot a few of them.

second set of barrels for the DT ....um. Were would one get them and who would get em to fit ??

I am wondering what if any cartridge will open the pattern given that its 3/4 full and I don't shoot high pheasant ? Other option remains multi choke it (not something I am particularly happy with) or get it opened out.
I don't think that a sporting bird hit at 30 yards through full is going to be much worse minced up than through ½, I wouldn't worry about it

Rather than naming a brand, list the qualities you want and see what fits the bill. My list would be:

Factory multi chokes, steel shot proof

32" barrels with 10mm wide rib, steel shot proof

Beavertail forend

Vetelated mid rib, standard height top rib

Game scene or nice scroll engraving, no side plates.

Solid action and lock up good for 100,k rounds

Mechanical trigger with wide chequered trigger blade.

Manual safety catch

Nice timber, well rounded pistol grip with palm swell, comb height midway between trap and sported or adjustable, length of pull around 15" for me.

Weight somewhere between 8 to 8 1/2 pound, balance on the hinge pin.

Other than the adjustable comb my grade 5 725 pretty much  covers this, and it will shoot clays, game, trap, skeet, steel shot at wildfowl anything you like. But then a dt10l ext and plenty of others guns also fit the bill.

I do also agree that longthornes look superb and would be a good choice if money was no object.

There's really no such thing as a true all rounder, any gun is going to be a compromise in some respect but if you accept that you need a minimum of 8 lbs to use it on clays and not much more if intending to carry it around then the Krieghoff Parcours would seemingly come close. 
Have you shot one? I looked longingly at them for years. Then tried one. A silver pigeon with extra recoil..

Have you shot one? I looked longingly at them for years. Then tried one. A silver pigeon with extra recoil..
I've held and shot a few and yes I agree they wouldn't be my first choice by any stretch but then I'm a clay shooter whereas the topic asks for something that would turn its hands to game as well as being carried ! 

There is a long held old wives tale formulae regarding gun weight V cartridge weight ratio which puts guns in the 6.5 lbs category as suitable for game shooting  :rolleyes: , you and I both know the old boy who penned it didn't know what he was talking about.  :huh:

Rather than naming a brand, list the qualities you want and see what fits the bill. My list would be:

Factory multi chokes, steel shot proof

32" barrels with 10mm wide rib, steel shot proof

Beavertail forend

Vetelated mid rib, standard height top rib

Game scene or nice scroll engraving, no side plates.

Solid action and lock up good for 100,k rounds

Mechanical trigger with wide chequered trigger blade.

Manual safety catch

Nice timber, well rounded pistol grip with palm swell, comb height midway between trap and sported or adjustable, length of pull around 15" for me.

Weight somewhere between 8 to 8 1/2 pound, balance on the hinge pin.

Other than the adjustable comb my grade 5 725 pretty much  covers this, and it will shoot clays, game, trap, skeet, steel shot at wildfowl anything you like. But then a dt10l ext and plenty of others guns also fit the bill.

I do also agree that longthornes look superb and would be a good choice if money was no object.

I've held and shot a few and yes I agree they wouldn't be my first choice by any stretch but then I'm a clay shooter whereas the topic asks for something that would turn its hands to game as well as being carried ! 

There is a long held old wives tale formulae regarding gun weight V cartridge weight ratio which puts guns in the 6.5 lbs category as suitable for game shooting  :rolleyes: , you and I both know the old boy who penned it didn't know what he was talking about.  :huh:
In that case you had better include 99.9% of English gun makers too  !   `The average weight for a standard 2 1/2" chambered S x S game gun was between 6 1/4 and 6 1/2 lbs.

In that case you had better include 99.9% of English gun makers too  !   `The average weight for a standard 2 1/2" chambered S x S game gun was between 6 1/4 and 6 1/2 lbs.
I do, not facetiously of course but what choice does one have when faced with such obviously flawed thinking !? 

I do, not facetiously of course but what choice does one have when faced with such obviously flawed thinking !? 
Oh sorry, I did not realise your thinking WAS flawed. I would much rather shoot game with my 28" barrelled 2 1/2" chambered 6 lbs 3ozs. S x S and a maximum of 30 grams load, than lump my 8 1/4 lbs clay gun around all day though.

I really can't believe that carrying an extra 2 pounds is such a problem ive put on 50 and still seem to get around ok ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I really can't believe that carrying an extra 2 pounds is such a problem ive put on 50 and still seem to get around ok ;)
Well, except for that inconvenience with driven birds.   :wink:

On the gun thing I think I'd opt for a +/-7lb SxS of some kind with a decent straight comb stock.  With 28" or so barrels.  Kinda like my old Beretta.  I think it would work fine for anything as long as "serious" anything was not a consideration.  Which is not for me anymore so there you are.

edit: Now that I think about it I remember the little Beretta 682 Sporting in the safe.  Last year of the wide body, lovely wood with straight comb, 28" barrels, factory screw-ins, factory ports (I do not lie), and not really heavy at all.  Pretty slick little gun actually and would likely work well in the field.  May have to dig that out and take it for a drive.  Been a while.  Seems like I shot some skeet w/ it a couple years ago.

If I would be looking for a "do-it-all" gun, I would go with Krieghoff K-80 Parcours with ISIS (to mitigate recoil from heavier ammo).

Re-reading the OP I notice no budget being mentioned.  That being the case (absolutely unbiased of course) I'd make up the criteria list and go to Perazzi.  They are quite used to meeting any specs, and that would be ANY,  their clients might have and could likely put the gun together in no time at all.  And that would currently likely apply to a SxS or an O/U.

just a thot

Horses for courses. I've owned both, find less recoil with the Parcours.
For many the Krieghoff Parcour is an aspirational shotgun and as a result it has more than it’s fair share of detractors. We are all entitled to our opinions but the question asked was regarding an all round shotgun, not to rubbish a particular gun because you don’t happen to rate it. I agree that your choice of shotgun is a personal one and the Parcour, the MX12, the F3, the DT11 or whatever might be your ideal all round shotgun. We are all different. We are also very fortunate to have such a range of shotguns to choose from. 

I’ve been looking after a Blaser F16 game this weekend whilst the owner is away and really like it, pigeons and crows like it less.  If i was buying one gun to do everything it would probably be this, must prefer it to my 686 Evo and 690 iii that I had for a short while.  Nothing with ever replace my collection of sxs though..

Back