HPX Perazzi's - do any of you have any hands on knowledge?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spr

Evening all, I am interested in a High Pheasant's Sporting Ref. mainly for FITASC.

Do any of you fine shooters own one or have any experience of them?

shot and tested both the Clay and Game versions...though obviously only 21 grams through the game gun.... ;)    Nice handling and if youre brave enough to shoot the 34 then you will be amazed at how lead practically becomes a thing of the past.... Grip radius is quite open, if you have small hands the adjustable trigger is a must have....

Thanks Don

I shot a 32" but thought the 33" was fantastic - is it quick enough for close up targets, it seemed to be lively enough ?

Hi Will, well possibly not, but that's what I am trying to decide. I really like the rib he uses, the parallel comb and shape of the stock, the balance of the 33", the trigger pulls, the fitting service: how am I doing persuading myself that this is the gun for me?

Does anyone here have one?

Hi Will, well possibly not, but that's what I am trying to decide. I really like the rib he uses, the parallel comb and shape of the stock, the balance of the 33", the trigger pulls, the fitting service: how am I doing persuading myself that this is the gun for me?
I don't quite understand the rib concept yet but the fact you can have fitting done here makes it a good Perazzi purchase to me. :)

Thank you, I don't think I would go for the RSR , just his standard rib.

Last edited by a moderator:

Does anyone here have one?
Ah, you have actually researched it properly, instead of just going 'ooo' at the advert. Good man. :)

Swot I thought. Simon, do you really need the HPX version? A 32 standard MX12 could be what is needed?
Will, what's so different about those HPX things, they seem to cost the earth but look just like any other P gun? Surely Perazzi will make you anything you want within reason and will supply a blank stock to have made and fitted in the UK if that's what's required. Are those HPX jobs really any better than a custom P gun?

I have just got one, 33" RSR and have written about it in the 'RSR ribs' thread.

The attraction for me is the higher head position, courtesy of the reversed rib; without the weight penalty of a full length high rib. It does seem to make target acquisition a bit easier. It does not appear to shoot overly high.

JJ (and Perazzi of course) will build you whatever you like. My gun weighs only 8lb 4oz, even though it has a 15.5" stock, so the barrels are only 1550g.

The balance is perfect for me. It feels like a 7.5 lb gun.

JJ has his own ideas on stock design and likes a near parallel comb (mine is 32/37). I am very recoil sensitive and tried one of his 20 gauge guns a while back and it kicked me badly. This one is very soft.

He is also very good on grips. I find his grips (the right one of his for me) the most comfortable I can find on any gun.

They are a bit more expensive that a std off the shelf Perazzi. But given the upgraded wood (SC2 at least) -  mine is more like SC3 grade, proper oil finish, 2 fitting sessions and the real custom service I think it is reasonable value. Mine also has an adjustable trigger and Teagues.

I had a Perazzi made years ago via Litts to a set of measurements and what came back was a dog. It was too heavy and handled like a piece of pipe. That was partly down to my inexperience -  but it was a grave disappointment. 

I have only had mine for a week or so -  but first impressions are very good. Even with a serious eye problem (testing is tricky!) I think the gun will be excellent for me.

If the concept intrigues you, then contact JJ and go and try one. He has 2 demo guns and a box full of stocks......

If you want more information -  send me a PM.

I have tried a few of John Jefferies HPX range of shotguns and i shoot with someone who has one and i can honestly say that 

they are the nicest shotguns to shoot that i have ever used - i just wish i could afford one!

I saw him at my local ground and i said i would love to try one. He asked which one and i said i would start with the 34" sporter with a flat rib. I have wanted to try a 34" gun since they came out and John was one of the first to produce one. He was also one of the first to produce a 32" barrel and look how popular they are now! He is the first to produce the RSR - reverse slope rib for those who are not familiar with the term. More information can be found on his website highpheasants.com and if past experience is anything to go by these may well become the norm in the future. 

He attached a different try stock to the 34" barrels and mx8 workings and within 15 minutes had setup the try stock to suit my, rather different from the norm, measurements. I was then invited to go and shoot it. It was tightly choked with fixed 3/4 in both i think. The gun felt really well balanced, very smooth and point-able and fitted me really well. I shot about 40 clays on several sporting stands and missed just one and that was due to complacency as it felt so easy.

I tried the RSR but due to shooting a very flat shooting gun i couldn't get used to it but that is not to say that i would now.

When i finished i asked him to take a look at my gun - a Browning GP sporter 32". Now i had had a lot of fitting work done to this already by Wisemans but the gun didn't feel right but i didn't know why. Straight away he said it was too short and would also be shooting low. I asked him what he suggested i do to improve this as i wasn't in the position to afford one of his HPX Perazzi shotguns. He said that he could get it exactly right for me but it wouldn't be a quick job, so i agreed. 

The result is great and the work his gunsmith has done is excellent. He has found a good match to the wood for the extension, fitted an adjustable but plate with a kickeeze pad, and put and adjustable comb on to achieve a parallel comb. I have now effectively got a custom monte carlo stock with a parallel comb that fits me perfectly for a fraction of the cost. My scores have increased as a result and it has also improved my game shooting.

John Jefferies doesn't just make HPX shotguns, he is also an excellent gun fitter who has been doing gun fitting for over 40 years! He can and will make your current gun fit you perfectly - guaranteed. What John offers with his HPX brand is a Perazzi shotgun that fits you perfectly. He does his gun fitting on real targets as he can see the shot pattern in the air and as a result can configure the gun to shoot exactly where you want it.

If you have the money there is nothing better and you will be extremely satisfied with the end product and your subsequent results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Twenty five years ago I walked into Diamond Guns in Heathfield high street with £300 pounds cash to purchase my first shotgun. John Jeffries fitted and sold me a Silma Supreme O/U 12 bore, the same gun that I shoot with today!

I then met JJ again three years ago at a game and wildlife conservation evening in Haywards Heath where he was displaying his range of HPX shotguns. Last year I was lucky enough to be invited to his shooting ground with some friends to try out his Perazzi 33'' RSR EV 1/2 & 1/2

The gun was a dream to shoot...........some might say anything would be after the old Silma! My good friend Charlie Milne said 'John , your gun is f**king deadly' to which I said 'try putting that in your testimonial's'!!! Anyway I placed my order and hope to have delivery by February.

If any of you are planning a visit to next months 'The Great British Shooting Show' make sure you visit the HPX stand and have a look at the stunning collection of guns that John will have on display. JJ will be only too pleased to show them to you and answer any questions that you might like to ask and should you want to try one for yourself, why not book a visit to his stunning shooting ground on the south downs either by yourself or with friends.

John Jeffries..........No hard sell, just good old fashioned gun fitting and sale's! 

If that's the same Charles Milne I know he knows his onions, haven't seen him for years but he could shoot S/S and O/U guns equally well. B)

That'll be him.............Top Guy, Top Shot and a Library Of Shooting Knowledge. Not so sure he's got green fingers though. :haha:

I guarantee you'll either see or hear a lot more of him this year!

Went down for my stock fitting just before Christmas.

Should be about a two month wait.

Hopefully John has gone to Turkey to kick over some ancient walnut tree, scrabble around it's roots, find the perfect piece and then run over to Brescia to have it made for me.

With the amount of water flowing through Alfriston last Saturday you may have to make do with a lump of driftwood!  

Latest posts

Back