How to score - hit but not broken..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TARGET DEFINITION “HIT” A regular target that in the opinion of the Referee only: 3.10 Has had a visible piece broken from it, is completely destroyed or, in the case of targets that are presented whole and during flight holes are seen to appear which have been caused by the Competitor’s shot.
If those referenced "holes" are meant to be pellet holes and not just chunks blown out of the interior that is the stupidest rule I've ever seen!

I have never seen before a rule that scores a pellet hole.  Sian's blown out center is clearly a missing piece.  Walking around the trap fields it is a simple matter to come across any number of targets with multiple pellet holes in them.  A number of things contribute to target breakage but the rules I've seen call for at least a visible piece.  The "dust" argument above is nothing less than absurd.  If there is $ on the line and a pellet hole is scored dead you people are crazy.  And I've bumped a buncha targets, clay and live, and none of them were dead.

Insanely desperate for a number is not a quality I would find pleasing in a shooter.  Of course you are welcome to play the game any way you like, rationally or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over here "dusted" usually implies that the clay received a glancing blow which knocked a little dust off but failed to break the clay,  to describe a clay that vanishes into thin air we tend to say things like smoke or vapour. Apparently the term dusted is taken to mean "smoked" stateside. 
Sorry for the confusion, at least in my part of the USA dusting it and smoking it carry the same meanings you've stated.

Dusted it: O

Smoked it: /

Best if everyone stuck to the simple rule. Visible piece off the clay. Otherwise how do you gauge how much dust or how much deviation constitutes a hit or miss. Also clays can and do deviate through wind conditions so those less scrupulous shooters would be claiming every missed bird as  a hit when the wind blows. 

Best if everyone stuck to the simple rule. Visible piece off the clay. Otherwise how do you gauge how much dust or how much deviation constitutes a hit or miss. Also clays can and do deviate through wind conditions so those less scrupulous shooters would be claiming every missed bird as  a hit when the wind blows. 
Be careful!  Dangerous results may arise if rational thought interferes with some average card goals!

It is obvious that if Newtonian Physics is open to interpretation and denial by shooters then simple man-made rules have little chance of survival.

Back