Tips on going away targets

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Hi folks, I'm looking for some advice on how to hit going away targets. These are the only target presentation that I consistently struggle with and as far as I hear they should be easy!

My last shoot I hit 40/50 and 4 of my 10 losses were on the same going away target.

What I find is that because the target is still rising, if I can see it then I'm shooting under it. But if I cover it with my barrels then I can't see where it is!

I'm sure I'm missing something basic and then it will just click. I'm not a great shot but I think I do OK, but my scores on these targets are consistently dreadful.

TIA

Hi folks, I'm looking for some advice on how to hit going away targets. These are the only target presentation that I consistently struggle with and as far as I hear they should be easy!

My last shoot I hit 40/50 and 4 of my 10 losses were on the same going away target.

What I find is that because the target is still rising, if I can see it then I'm shooting under it. But if I cover it with my barrels then I can't see where it is!

I'm sure I'm missing something basic and then it will just click. I'm not a great shot but I think I do OK, but my scores on these targets are consistently dreadful.

TIA
As ever, can only tell if I saw you shooting. First job is to make sure your eye is aligned with the rib. Sounds obvious but need to know for sure. A straight going away target really needs this whereas crossers far less so. Then you have to rule out eye dominance issues. If you’re right handed and your left eye takes over, you will miss up the left but won’t see why. So if in doubt close the left eye and try that  

Once you’re sure it’s none of the above then it is in theory a simple shot. They are usually missed over the top. Very easy to whizz the gun upwards and even if you think you’re just on the target you can get above by the time the trigger is pulled. So start the gun a little below the kill point and try moving slowly up to the target and DO NOT lose it behind the barrels. You need to just see the target on top of the rib. All the time make sure your face is firmly on the stock and you’re not head-lifting as you fire. Those are the basics.

Last edited by a moderator:
As ever, can only tell if I saw you shooting. First job is to make sure your eye is aligned with the rib. Sounds obvious but need to know for sure. A straight going away target really needs this whereas crossers far less so. Then you have to rule out eye dominance issues. If you’re right handed and your left eye takes over, you will miss up the left but won’t see why. So if in doubt close the left eye and try that  

Once you’re sure it’s none of the above then it is in theory a simple shot. They are usually missed over the top. Very easy to whizz the gun upwards and even if you think you’re just on the target you can get above by the time the trigger is pulled. So start the gun a little below the kill point and try moving slowly up to the target and DO NOT lose it behind the barrels. You need to just see the target on top of the rib. All the time make sure your face is firmly on the stock and you’re not head-lifting as you fire. That’s the basics.
Spot on advice Will

Agree entirely with Will particularly the need to have a look at what you are doing.

Going away can be teals or quartering or a combination of the two. Techniques might be different for each so bear that in mind.

It is tempting to look back at the trap or first visual point, and put the gun there, when in practice the hold point on quartering (and less) clays can often be quite close to the kill point.

I would suggest three things that might help,

• Forget (at least) the first 15 yards of clay travel and then setup the shot. That will stop you seeing a fast moving clay which might prompt your brain & then hands to rush.
  • Try adjusting the hold point closer to the kill point if you don't feel you have consistency (and in particular that you don't feel confident with the gun speed).
  • Remember the gun will kill the clay - shooting it 5, 10 or 15 yards later is OK. This is really a mental reminder that there is no need to rush. It took me a while to realise this basic point.

And Will's point about lifting the head is very important. When you miss you will look up next time and then a new problem is created.

Assuming you don't have eye dominance issues, straight shots, as in going away or vertical teals, will typically show up a problem with gun fit/gun mount. The rib needs to be perfectly aligned with the eye in the horizontal plane otherwise you'll shoot up the side of the clay. The vertical alignment is more a matter of choice as to whether you like your line of sight above the rib and pointing the gun as you would with your finger or flat (level) along the rib and shooting it like a rifle. 

Otherwise I would say that keeping both eyes open is an distinct advantage on these shots as you never lose sight of the target no matter where the barrels are.

I agree with Will, it's very easy to miss over the top of a going away target, this is because we lift the gun onto the target and it's easy to overshoot, also the targets appears to be rising initially but usually will have flattened out by the time we pull the trigger. A small error is all it takes to miss, try conciously shooting at the lower edge of the clay or maybe an inch under it and see how you get on, when you smash it remember the sight picture for next time.

Thanks for all the advice. I admit I was thrown there by the possible issue with gun fit. It seems to be OK to me as no other target presentation has as many consistent issues, and whilst still obviously a novice an 80% hit rate isn't bad.

The problem is that the person who told me the gun fit great was the shop's sales person. I have no reason to think bad of them but I suppose there's the possibility of an ulterior motive.

I don't think I'm lifting my head, but I'll watch out for that next time I'm out. I think its been a shooting line issue. I haven't been approaching them like a crosser say, picking up and pulling through. More like stabbing at where I think the target should be. I definitely need to book more instruction.

Funnily enough, I keep gun down shooting as a bit of a secret weapon for myself. On occasion I've fared better by giving myself less time to think on targets and just letting my hands do the work. When I had to borrow an ill fitting SP1 before getting my gun, if I gave myself enough time to think about the shot I missed! Sometimes instincts are better.

Just not with going away targets!

I've reffed more sporting shoots, mostly registered, than I've had hot dinners and over the years I've probably watched half a million targets being shot. Without making any claim to be a coach or a good shot myself I can say that stabbing at straight away targets is a very risky method. As with any moving target, smooth moves pay off.

I find with going away targets for myself that limited gun movement works best for me, first i would try and ascertain if quartering slightly left or right or going straight away but to be fair i would shoot both the same in reality. Gun hold for me would be about 2 feet below the kill point and 1 foot to the side (the side its quartering towards ideally). My view point would be pretty much soft focused in the distance of the kill point. When the clay comes into view I would shoot straight at it unless climbing significantly where i would shoot into the space above it. I have the gun slightly out of my shoulder.

What Charlie said - but for me it's gun mounted, start pointing below the kill point and above the trap, just raise the bead onto the bird and shoot it straight up the bottom,  it takes longer to read that than to do it. there is a minimum amount of movement or drama. No stabbing or thinking where it should be, just a fairly deliberate aim at the clay if it's going directly away. 

Very sound advice here and one thing I did about 50 years ago when I had a similar problem was to take the advice from a very experienced trap shooter, shoot a few rounds of DTL even if the trap is locked on central fire which is just repeating the same type of shot and I found helped me to prepare for the shot perhaps better than I did before.  Just a thought.

Phil

Latest posts

Back