How good is a Miroku ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am relatively new to this shooting lark and have decided to upgrade my gun.

Over last couple of months have tried quite a few and have settled for a MK38 32" Grade 5.

I understand the comments about being agricultural etc, but I am not the smallest person in the world and the gun seems to suit me quite well.

Just need to have a little negotiation with the current owner and then have stock extension / recoil reducer fitted..

As I always say.....you have to put it in the right place.....whether it is a Perazzi, that Big George shoots now and won many of his World titles with, or a beretta or C&G that Faulds had a lot of success with...... Or anyone coming through from scratch with a Mirky and top cartridges.

I found that my Mirky liked very 36 grm Fiocchi Electrocibles (which you cannot get now) and that combo worked fantastically well for many years through FSP and Helice. (If you put it in the right place :wink: )

But as I have said many times before......people often move to Perazzi because of the fast trigger pulls.....and unlike the hype mentioned in other threads....they are not expensive if you look properly.

Fast trigger pulls are controlled by the shooter.

Fast lock times are controlled by the design of the lock mechanism. 

The biggest criticism of a Miroku is 'poor' trigger pulls.

This is usually as a direct result of poor maintenance or more correctly no maintenance, or often because the complainant doesn't know what they are talking about.

I've had several and still have two. I've owned perazzis and berettas and shot countless others,but I still come back to miroku. I have never had a failure on one,ever!! Yes they are a bit old tech or agricultural,however Ian peel got his Olympic medal with a miroku,so the old tech did the business for him! I never need to carry a spares kit because they simply don't break springs,well in over 25 years I've not had one break. They are cheap to service and any gunsmith will work on them. My best ever OT score was shot with an mk38,which I stupidly sold a couple of weeks later,what an idiot!

Maybe I don't know enough about shooting but when I pull the trigger my trusty old Miroku goes bang?

Can someone explain the intricacies of trigger pulls?

Salop I always had my Mirky set very light......but to be honest ...the very first thing I noticed with the Perazzi the first time I shot it....was how much difference there was with the trigger.

My opinion only.....not wishing to ram it up anyone....just saying.. :wink:

Nicola,

Yes I know exactly what you are saying. It all depends upon the basic design. When you have a clean slate as Blaser did they designed a trigger system that is very efficient. Krieghoff did similar, God help them if ever spring clips have a World shortage ha ha.

But when John Moses drew up the Browning he never realised how popular it would be, and as the Ozzies say , 'if it ain't broke why fix it?'

If anyone has trigger issues with a Miroku / Browning email me. 

Emmsy,

Are you saying it is a pointless topic because we have moved on to better guns?

Is a Krieghoff really worth five times the price of a Grade 5 Miroku or nearly ten times the price of a Grade 1?

Is a Perazzi , Beretta, Blaser more reliable than a Miroku ?

Perazzi & Krieghoff were available twenty years ago but had not had the advertising budget spent on them.

Browning have gone the opposite way, do not spend a fortune on sponsorship and the product sells enough by itself to make BWM content with their market share. 

Im in the looking phase,  

currently the shortlisted contenders are ..

Mk38

Silver pigeon

Browning  xxx

In practice i need to shoot all 3 to make an informed choice....

in  reality it will probably be the Mk38.... that way if im crap i can blame the gun ;) ... if not it will be the best thing since sliced bread

Mart

Im in the looking phase,  

currently the shortlisted contenders are ..

Mk38

Silver pigeon

Browning  xxx

In practice i need to shoot all 3 to make an informed choice....

in  reality it will probably be the Mk38.... that way if im crap i can blame the gun ;) ... if not it will be the best thing since sliced bread

Mart
Let me help you out a bit. Much as the Beretta looks nice it is not a nice gun to shoot in my opinion. It is very recoil prone, I think the barrels are not as well bored as some others. I'm not saying they are badly made just that the forcing cones are short and I think this leads to a slap in the face with every shot. I have noticed this with my 687 and my brother's 682. I would make sure you try before you commit to buying a Beretta!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had at least 10 beretta's since my first one in 93 and I have never had a problem with recoil on any of them. Perseption of recoil seems to be a very subjective and personal thing.

I have had at least 10 beretta's since my first one in 93 and I have never had a problem with recoil on any of them. Perseption of recoil seems to be a very subjective and personal thing.
May be my bad technique Ian :) I honestly have been battered badly by my and my brother's Beretta's. I will say that since changing to my Browning its like getting off a motorcycle fitted with solid wood wheels and no shocks onto a Honda Goldwing with the suspension set at ultra smooth. I have ridden neither of these bikes but am using my imagination. Then again it could be gun fit but the Browning is just so smoooooooooooooth all same length of pull. I was actually getting home with head aches with the Beretta... true story as Nic would say :)

Ips,

Not wishing to go off thread but I think you will find that there are lots of instances of complaints about Beretta's and recoil . 

Maybe the fit of the browning suits you better who knows

Ips,

Not wishing to go off thread but I think you will find that there are lots of instances of complaints about Beretta's and recoil . 
No problem I like a thread drift :)

I can but relate to my own experience never had an issue and the eell has virtually no perceived recoil, for me anyway.

Let me help you out a bit. Much as the Beretta looks nice it is not a nice gun to shoot in my opinion. It is very recoil prone, I think the barrels are not as well bored as some others. I'm not saying they are badly mad just that the forcing cones are short and I think this leads to a slap in the face with every shot. I have noticed this with my 687 and my brother's 682. I would make sure you try before you commit to buying a Beretta!
My 5ft 2in wife shoots a silver pigeon, new in 2012. She uses 28 gram Express HV cartidges and never mentions recoil. Her gun does fit, that could be the difference. Me I like to feel a bit of recoil, somehow makes it feel right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I borrowed a Gold E to shoot 50 sporting at the Scottish Game fair...Caledonian fibre 28g's, kicked like mad, burst my lower gum with the recoil...my DT11 has almost no noticeable recoil with many shells

Back to the topic, " How good is a Miroku."

Well, back in the days before electricity, one of my now deceased mates bought a new Miroku, it had 28 inch barrels and was sold as a skeet gun I believe. He shot countless thousands of shells through it, and it became the "club gun" at our local clay shoot for many years. Hand on heart, I never heard that it needed repairs of ANY kind. Maybe with it been one of the earliest imports it was better made than todays guns.

Phil*

Back