Gun Storage (Not at home)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

Firstly many thanks for all the replies, it's great to find such an active forum! 

To answer some questions:

1) I'm married with a daughter, so new wife would be VERY expensive! :D

2) Yes I will report back on Basingstoke ground.

3) Yes my plan is to go here a few times, really get a feel for things. I'm eyeing up some very reasonable priced Miroku's at £450 odd. 

4) As a demo that I'm serious I'm selling all my old snowboard kit, as not planning on doing that any time soon. If I do, I'll take up Ski's instead. 

Sale of my kit will go towards my gun fund, then it's case of coughing up for Bisley membership for the year. After that, I think I could get her to let me keep and gun but no ammo in a secure cabinet in the garage. 
Unfortunately you might find it  difficult to get a cabinet in the garage passed by the FAO.  Also it's not the best enviroment for one. Damp and changes in temp will cause all sort of problens.  Mainly rust. 

Ah, it needs to be the house itself? That's a defo a non starter. For one the house is 2012 build, every wall is hollow thanks to insulation. (so no solid walls anywhere, would have to go through plaster board and insulation)

Also sod all space in the house, I was expecting a garage to be ok. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be wrong but I think you can if the garage is attached to the house. Some silica gel sachets in cabinet will help with damp issues

Just buy her a 'have a go' at clay shooting,  gift voucher,  for her Birthday    !   Sorted.

Just to add, my garage is attached to the house. Quick Google suggests that does help. 

Does that garage door need to be special? More beefy locks? It's a standard garage door currently. 

Hi all,

Firstly many thanks for all the replies, it's great to find such an active forum! 

To answer some questions:

1) I'm married with a daughter, so new wife would be VERY expensive! :D

2) Yes I will report back on Basingstoke ground.

3) Yes my plan is to go here a few times, really get a feel for things. I'm eyeing up some very reasonable priced Miroku's at £450 odd. 

4) As a demo that I'm serious I'm selling all my old snowboard kit, as not planning on doing that any time soon. If I do, I'll take up Ski's instead. 

Sale of my kit will go towards my gun fund, then it's case of coughing up for Bisley membership for the year. After that, I think I could get her to let me keep and gun but no ammo in a secure cabinet in the garage. 
Cartridges are available at most grounds so that wouldn't be the end of the world unless you take a liking to a particular brand. 

I would be tempted to point out to your wife that firearms aren't often known for loading themselves and shooting the inhabitants of a house...so whether you have cartridges in the house or not doesn't really make any difference.

Garages are pretty much the least preferred location for a cabinet. If the garage is not connected to the house its a non-starter unless in exceptional circumstances.   

I would also be pointing out the legal requirements for storage such as sole access etc.  

Ah, it needs to be the house itself? That's a defo a non starter. For one the house is 2012 build, every wall is hollow thanks to insulation. (so no solid walls anywhere, would have to go through plaster board and insulation)

Also sod all space in the house, I was expecting a garage to be ok. 
There are plenty of ways to fix a cabinet to hollow walls sufficiently to meet the requirements.

I would recommend floor fixing - if concrete then drill straight in ( mind DPC level) threaded bar, chemical anchor, done.

If boarded, lift boards, pre drilled bar under at least two joists, drill floor boards at appropriate centres, attach threaded bar to drilled bar with bolts, replace boards, drop cabinet on and bolt.  

If you google there are tons of ways of doing it.

A cabinet doesn't have to be in place prior to the FEO visit, but it does help. You could purchase the cabinet and discuss locations with him (or her) during the visit.

I would recommend downloading the Home office guidelines and having a read.

Does that garage door need to be special? More beefy locks? It's a standard garage door currently. 
Will be up to your FEO - maybe, maybe not.

Just to add, my garage is attached to the house. Quick Google suggests that does help. 

ah, I thought so but wasn't 100%. No I don't think the door has to be special but I would think they would look very kindly on it being alarmed, oh and cctv helps a lot, as does a dog....i kid you not.

How about installing in your loft. if you are only using shotguns you will only probably collect a few so won't be needing a large cabinet which makes it easy to get up there and fix it to the breezeblock wall using chemical anchors.
You will need to make sure you have permanant pull down ladders with the hatch plenty big enough to comfortably enter and exit the loft whilst carrying a gun, adequate lighting and continuous screwed down flooring between the hatch and cabinet. You will probably be able to clean and maintain your gun up there too or else clean at the ground when you've finished.
The mrs need never see the gun out of its slip.

but only if house is detached ?

ps

you don't need to answer if you don't want to but I am curious as to the reason your wife is so against having a sporting gun in the house. ??

Where did you get that info. from ips? There is no problem having your safe in the loft in a semi. etc. What would be the difference in the loft or in the bedroom of a semi.?

I just assumed to be honest. I once lived in a terraced house and you could walk from one house to another as there were three foot ish holes in every loft dividing wall. Your right to question my post though as a semi wont be like this. I should have said not if its terraced house.

Everything ips has said about the garage installation I agree with plus you would probably need to build a screen/ cupboard around the cabinet to hide it from being seen from the doors and windows.

Quote: ' I just assumed to be honest. I once lived in a terraced house and you could walk from one house to another as there were three foot ish holes in every loft dividing wall. Your right to question my post though as a semi wont be like this. I should have said not if its terraced house.'

Heck ips, I would have been blocking those holes up sharpish. I would not have been comfortable otherwise.

Could get a break down cabinet as an added selling point to the wife? (One where the gun has to be broken down to be stored, don't worry, not as bad as it sound!s)

Could work if she is worried about kiddie (somehow) getting access. 

That along with no one else knowing where the keys are should be enough to convince her. Could even get fancy and get a combination lock. 

Everything ips has said about the garage installation I agree with plus you would probably need to build a screen/ cupboard around the cabinet to hide it from being seen from the doors and windows.

Quote: ' I just assumed to be honest. I once lived in a terraced house and you could walk from one house to another as there were three foot ish holes in every loft dividing wall. Your right to question my post though as a semi wont be like this. I should have said not if its terraced house.'

Heck ips, I would have been blocking those holes up sharpish. I would not have been comfortable otherwise.
indeed, I was somewhat concerned . It was my first house in 1990 a row of about 15 houses. I had a leak and entered the loft to investigate, you could see all the way down the whole row with a torch. Weird.

Also don't forget you might want to consider fitting a trigger lock. The trigger lock only needs to be removed at the ground. Leaving the trigger lock fit all the time means if you turn your back on the gun whilst it is in the house the trigger cannot be pulled.

Back