Gebben Miles UK Coaching Tour

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can assure you that Gebben would not even twitch at the little comments made by two people.....

.......and 'that' peeps .....is why a good head game helps you win.

I do believe in quality coaching , however  I think you must start early , as you get older its hard to change mind-set  and  general shooting approach  bad technique etc  or is that me being negative ?   if I really believed it would gain me a class  I would subscribe  , my local is orston  some superb shooters there  I've had tips and pointers off many of them and I've tried to put it in practice  but im still b class  sporting .  good luck to all  hope the coaching is beneficial  .  

I do believe in quality coaching , however  I think you must start early , as you get older its hard to change mind-set  and  general shooting approach  bad technique etc  or is that me being negative ?   if I really believed it would gain me a class  I would subscribe  , my local is orston  some superb shooters there  I've had tips and pointers off many of them and I've tried to put it in practice  but im still b class  sporting .  good luck to all  hope the coaching is beneficial  .  
I think you're being too negative. The idea that you can't teach an old dog new tricks has been proven wrong many times. What does happen is that people get out of the habit of learning, and out of the habit of failing. When you're young you're learning and trying and failing all the time. If you are in general good health the barriers to you learning are unlikely to be the physical construct of your brain.

The other thing that I see older people less willing to do is to put their trust in someone else. I get great results quickly when I commit to one coach and one path of learning. My personal pattern is to find someone who know the sport and also knows how to coach well. Then they have to work with my learning style - yours is probably different to mine. I need someone who can verbalise concepts and also confirm that what I'm reflecting back at them is accurate so I need someone reasonably articulate and someone who can understand me when I'm talking, or at the least ask me to clarify if they don't understand. More about learning styles here. The key point though is that if you want help and assistance in changing you have to put your trust somewhere. After all, the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results :) I bet if you went to someone like Coach Solomons and said "What will it take to make me A class?" they'd tell you, and you could decide if you wanted to do that. If you do follow what they say and you don't make any progress I'd be surprised. However, you'd have to trust them enough to follow their instructions if they told that EVERYTHING about your shooting needs changing. No point taking coaching if you can't take criticism :)

So I think you're right, it's much better to start early with quality instruction but that's because you don't have fear of change or being wrong or failing. IMHO fear is what holds us back when we're older, not our personal ability to learn.

I think you're right Dr Lecter in that some people just cannot be taught no matter what age they are.

You can give them all the help possible, but they still think they know better and will not learn. They won't even give it the time of day. That's their choice though.

Shame! I bet Gebben knows a few tricks that you don't which might help you along. You are never too old to change.  :biggrin:

I'm not going either, but I wish I could. Even one thing to improve my shooting would be worthwhile, but then I want to improve.   :prankster:  

Yes i think you are being a tad negative. IMHO. But that is your prerogative...it is a free world.

I am 56 or 55 (or whatever) and i have learnt more about Olympic Trap in the last 8 years.... and more about concentration levels needed for any sport in the last 5 years...and also how many old habits over 30 years of shooting 'can' be changed for the better......so.....in reality....you can teach an old dog new tricks.....if the old dog has an open mind and wants to learn.

My mind is open....and always wants to learn.

...very true story...! 

(Take ABT yesterday...something i took some pals to shoot.... I had an 86....not bad for an old bird who shoots sh*te........(well i just had to make some better scores for JJ's sake as he watches my scores so keenly) :laugh: and OK it was top of ladies class.....but...if he (JJ) thinks there was no competition in the ladies....well the recent winner of the British was there ....2 points behind me. Very nice lady. I could have shot better if i had not been laughing at 'him indoors' who was shooting sh*te :wink: and the point of this little story is.....mental game is now much improved....just hope it works on my disciplines......if i can remember what my disciplines are :laugh:  )

I like your attitudes    you could well be right  always room for improvement   ok lesson learned   new attitude and approach in place , now where's my medication ? 

now where's my medication ? 

It's at Oakedge  on August 21st  price £125

Never too old to learn. I grew up rough shooting through .410 through to a big F-off 8bore but mostly 20&12. took up small-bore match and air rifle in my late 20s early 30s and took it to national squad with a couple of matches for Scotland and would have gone higher if my ex hadn't given me the ultimatum stop shooting or divorce, The took up Scuba diving and worked my way up through the ranks and became an instructor. Now at 56 I'm rediscovered Clay shooting (Skeet in particular) and am absorbing this new sport like a sponge with the full support/tolerance? of the new Mrs Bryn which is a completely novel experience.

No age limit to learning you just need an open mind and well tuned Bulsh*t detector. If one of the Gebben Miles sessions was remotely within travelling distance I'd have booked in.

I reckon a day you don't learn at least one new thing is a day wasted

Bryn12,

Oakedge is closer to you than where you currently go for lessons.

I can't believe what I've read on here to be honest...

Gebben is one of the nicest guys in the sport (and there are plenty of arseholes)...

He is a great friend of ours and you can have a laugh, joke and swear in front of him and he really doesn't care, he is a normal guy.

For any of you that have booked a lesson with him, you will undoubtably take good things away from it, for those of you who don't book a lesson, keep your stupid insults to yourself! As Jenny said, let's hope Gebben doesn't read it, but I expect it's too late.

End of rant

I can't believe what I've read on here to be honest...

Gebben is one of the nicest guys in the sport (and there are plenty of arseholes)...

He is a great friend of ours and you can have a laugh, joke and swear in front of him and he really doesn't care, he is a normal guy.

For any of you that have booked a lesson with him, you will undoubtably take good things away from it, for those of you who don't book a lesson, keep your stupid insults to yourself! As Jenny said, let's hope Gebben doesn't read it, but I expect it's too late.

End of rant
Well said.And Gebben will just ignore the couple of strange comments.

Last edited:
It's no different to ourselves, Ben or George going to the US to compete or coach... us Brits get such a warm welcome from everyone over in the US and I can't believe some of you are being so cold.

Everybody should stick together in this sport, not stab each other in the back (but that just seems to be British mentality I suppose).

But if you want to go to one of the top London Shooting Schools and pay £150 plus and get taught by a part timer who may have never shot a competitive clay in their life then trott on!!

But I for one will be supporting him at our shooting school and making him welcome in our home as he is staying with us for a good part of the tour.

Unbelievable

Last edited by a moderator:
Really struggle to understand some peoples mentality on here at times  what thoughts are going through your  head when making personel comments about people you don't know from Adam and then to suggest you won't learn anything means one thing to me and that is your as stupid as your recent comments suggest. I feel embarrassed for you. :fie:

RF is quite right...Gebben is a genuinely very nice guy unlike some I could mention.....and thats why I agreed to help him out with this tour ..... and for those who havent shot in the US you should try it, just to experience the amazing hospitality, generosity and sense of cameraderie that exists over there amongst all shooters regardless of nationality. I go over a couple of times a year but always get a really warm welcome at the ground and usually get more than a few invitations to dinner etc, just because they are decent people who enjoy being hospitable. We could learn a lot from them as far as manners are concerned. Maybe people could either try looking for the good in others....or alternatively why not just keep your mouth shut and your antisocial thoughts to yourself....

Also.... I booked him into the Shootclay cup this morning with a full squad of people who are doing some of the coaching days with him.... perhaps some of the more "open minded and friendly" members might like to take that opportunity to apologise to him in person for their comments??.......

Back