fixed choked sporter ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m sure it’s been said many times before: Yes of course it’s an absolute truth that there is a best choke choice for each target..

However to make sure this best choke is always in the gun, the shooter then has to have constant perfect judgement of distance and clay angle; plus the spare mental / emotional capacity to devote to a whole side issue from actual shooting.

The silliest thing is when people get all dramatic when a five yard clay is presented. Taking chokes out completely or fitting cylinder. The irony with chokes is they don’t have a chance to make a significant difference under 15+ yards. But I get that some people find the whole process reassuring; feeling they are preparing as diligently as possible. (Totally screws my head up personally, so I fit two identical chokes and leave the rest at home).

Last edited by a moderator:
yes I would    half / half     keep it simple  decent shell concentrate on clay  !     multi chokes offer me choice  ,    therein  lies my problem !
Put 3/8, 3/8 in both barrels and leave the rest at home. Problem solved.

I suppose its a confidence  thing ,   but orston , grimsthorpe  are my usual grounds    lots of clays  35 yards +    some edge on      so open chokes  don't give me confidence  or good breaks  , I have a few mates shooting  mk60 s     3/4  & full     getting blistering kills       mmmmm  jury still out  !  

I suppose its a confidence  thing ,   but orston , grimsthorpe  are my usual grounds    lots of clays  35 yards +    some edge on      so open chokes  don't give me confidence  or good breaks  , I have a few mates shooting  mk60 s     3/4  & full     getting blistering kills       mmmmm  jury still out  !  
No that's fair enough. In that case I would stick in 1/2 and 1/2 (or whatever). But then forget them for the day is the point.

Buying a fixed choke gun is like buying a car with a 4 speed gearbox .... sure you can get 5's,6's, 7's and even 9's now but the original 4 speed E-type still did 150 mph with only 4 cogs.

You just need to know how to drive. :)  

Went up to one of the Thursday Reg shoots at Orston a couple of months ago.  Biggest targets of the day were a couple of right to left loopers out beyond a bank that needed a pretty big gap to hit them.  My 3/8th 3/8th fixed choke gun broke 6 out of 8 of them convincingly.  The other two not breaking was totally down to what was behind the stock (i.e me) rather than the choke at the other end.

Went up to one of the Thursday Reg shoots at Orston a couple of months ago.  Biggest targets of the day were a couple of right to left loopers out beyond a bank that needed a pretty big gap to hit them.  My 3/8th 3/8th fixed choke gun broke 6 out of 8 of them convincingly.  The other two not breaking was totally down to what was behind the stock (i.e me) rather than the choke at the other end.
good shooting  how did you finish up overall  ?  happy with 3/8 

good shooting  how did you finish up overall  ?  happy with 3/8 
Finished on 72 that day, just below my average which hovers around 73.  Fairly happy as I'd arrived 5 minutes before my squad started after driving 180 miles and it was my first time at the ground.  As I say, I'm no digweed and my scores are never going to be in that league.

Out of 13 stands, 10 of them I was either 1 or 2 away, didn't straight a stand.  Only two targets on the day that I really struggled with.  No problem at all with the chokes in my gun, but I seem to be able to choke when it comes to straights.  If only I could stop myself thinking about how I'm doing on a stand and just keep doing what I do on the first pair, I'd be up in A class in no time.

Back