Steel Proof?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadgets

Probably a silly question, but how do I check if my browning b25 is steel proofed.

I have a 1974 made B25 made in Belgium that has fixed full and 3/4 chokes.

The only mention of proofing on a manual I found online says it was proofed in Leige and talks about a bars rating… 🤷🏼‍♂️

Even if it was steel proofed (not sure at that age) you wouldn’t be able to shoot steel through those tight chokes. I believe half choke is the maximum recommended.

Even if it was steel proofed (not sure at that age) you wouldn’t be able to shoot steel through those tight chokes. I believe half choke is the maximum recommended.
This is not an area I know much about but I read recently that half choke is max for the high performance steel and standard steel is okay to full choke. One of the big pigeon shooters on a facebook group is using full and full with steel, very effectively I might add. I am sure as this cartridge develops further it will all become clear........

Your barrels are fine for standard steel once the chokes have been opened out. As others have said, don’t shoot steel shot through 3/4 and full choke, you will undoubtedly damage them over time.
There will be some that say it’s fine, others who know someone who knows someone that’s been doing it for years. Take the chance at your peril.
There’s a very good reason why the proof house and almost every shotgun manufacturer says steel shot though nothing tighter than half choke!

Last edited:
At the age of your B25, it will not have steel proof marks, unless it has had a reproof. It is the British Proof Houses that have recommended that nothing tighter than 1/2 choke should be used for steel shot. Either send the gun for reproof, or use a none toxic shot alternative to steel (ie :- Bismuth), or just get the chokes opened up and shoot standard steel shot.

Here’s my two bobs worth …. Until recently all Miroku trap guns were fixed choke 3/4 and Full , they had a sticker on the barrels that said Lead Shot Only .

The sensible thing to do would be to get it converted to multichoke . Probably cost around £650-£800 depending how many tubes you need , It would allow you use standard steel if lead is an issue and allow you to choke up if lead remains viable for target shooting in the future .

What some random bloke on the internet has done bears no relation to how the barrels on your 50 year old classic will perform .. £800 or risk ‘ ringing ‘ a set of barrels that would cost 5 grand or more to replace ….

Just for info HP steel can be shot through any choke in my FABARM SxS - taken from the owners manual IMPORTANT : STEEL SHOT AMMUNITION “high performance” can be used in your CLASSIS shotgun with CYLINDER, SHORT 2/10, MEDIUM 5/10, LONG 7/10, XTREME 9/10 choke tubes.
Personally i would be wary of HP steel through such a nice B25 mind

Back