Fitasc at West London Shooting School

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, just home from WLSS.

I hope nobody minds, but I thought i'd report back. Apologies, but this post contains no politics, CPSA bashing or insults to anybody. Just a bit of shooting. Remember that? :preved:

First off, I have to say that I dont think I have ever enjoyed a days shooting more. And it is a whole day, punctuated by breaks, lunch and a chat afterwards. Very different to 100 ESP. Unfortunately, I dont think it will ever work for me regularly at weekends, with family, but today was great.

Very cold, with bitter wind; but hey, do we even notice anymore? My body just thinks I moved to the North Pole. It was dry at least.

I met my squad, which was SPR from here, plus a very talented local youngish shooter Michael, another guy I have met, Peter, plus Susan and Mike from Hull Cartridge. Nice crowd.

Excellent targets. Four layouts of course; CCI, Hull, WLSS Gun Room and Musto.

On CCI I was going nicely, the gun-down thing being a surprisingly minor concern. As with all layouts today, there were 6 or 7 singles in each hoop followed by one or two pairs. On my first pair, I was so into singles mode that I shot the first bird then opened the gun; leaving the report bird to sail on untroubled! D`oh!!! what a numpty, much piss-taking and self mocking. Ho Hum. Happy though as I ended on 21 (out of 24 shots taken..)

Hull was our second layout and I think it was universally agreed to be the hardest. I straighted the first hoop, where everything looked OK. Hoop 2 was 25 yards further back which changed things somewhat! Hoop three was not much better, so with a few frustrated bad shots, I ended on 17. Very few hit more than 21 on here.. And guess what. I opened the gun on a pair again! :crazy: OK its not funny anymore.

After lunch we went to WLSS Gun Room layout. I had heard it was one of the easier ones. Some combination of a break for lunch and thinking it was not too challenging prompted my mini-melt down. I missed nearly everything on the first hoop. Disaster; even when I did shoot at the report bird. `OK, sort the head out or go home you lemon` and I dug in for a decent finish, but it still left me with a 16 that should have been 21 or more.

I saw Steve Lovatt who told me not to take this experience on to the last layout. Good advice. I knew I was now 21 away, so my target of finishing the day on MINIMUM 75 was looking rather shaky. I do count my losses. Many dont; but I use them to spur me on.

The last layout was Musto. Again, the first hoop was nearest to the targets and I straighted it. Hoop 2 was a fair way back and did nothing for the angles either. The Battue was now 60+ yards and only turned after a while. Much to my surprise I straighted the singles without full use of gun. (Bit chippy though..). I missed the last bird in that hoop, the battue on a pair. The last hoop was interesting but a bit nearer and I cleared it; leaving me on a 24!

So, 78, including not shooting at two targets (durr..) and a melt down in one hoop. I believe the shoot was won by Steve Lovatt on 88, so I can't be that unhappy; especially with my 24 on Musto, which was not matched I dont think.

Glad I went! Got some confidence back after some very average performances lately.

:good:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice shooting Will .. decent write up that ,I must have another go at FITASC again soon ( when and if the weather ever warms up ) only shot it once and enjoyed it, I shoot everything gun down so don't have the problem with gun down rule .

Nicely done Will... I wish I could have made it to this one.... but will be at the next.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Well shot Will good score and considering you normally shoot gun up that's a top notch performance to adapt and score well after your errors :hi:  , good write up to :yes:

Cheers. I do confess to a small bruise on my arm from one or two dodgy mounts.. I notice I shot 124 cartridges. I think there were about 80 singles though..

Well shot William good to see you recover after a bad layout

Your 24 on Mustoe was really good I went there 9 away and slipped another 3 and peg 2 I don't think there was a target closer than65 yards!!!

This was truly a good laid out fitasc course well done to all at west London

See you all 1 may for more of the same I hope

Steve

Well shot William good to see you recover after a bad layout

Your 24 on Mustoe was really good I went there 9 away and slipped another 3 and peg 2 I don't think there was a target closer than65 yards!!!

This was truly a good laid out fitasc course well done to all at west London

See you all 1 may for more of the same I hope

Steve
Cheers Steve, did you win it? Can't see more than your 88 out there..

Yes I was joint high gun with nick moss , I missed the last bloody target I shot at on Mustoe the a or report a middled the first and shot over the top of second but that's the game we play I guess

Yes I was joint high gun with nick moss , I missed the last bloody target I shot at on Mustoe the a or report a middled the first and shot over the top of second but that's the game we play I guess
Well shot, but frustrating for you! The young guy, Michael Hibbert on my squad hit 24 on Gun Room. He missed the absolute dolly incomer single on peg 2 with both shots. (M.Hib on here)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, Glad you enjoyed it and just so you know the farthest target on Musto (battue) is at a measured 47 yards along the bank and was flying straight not in or out, We no longer do 60 yard targets you were just fooled :nyam:

I bet the battue was further than that at the kill point from hoop 2. No complaints, perfectly visible and kill able.

Back