First shotgun ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Reedy

Have had visit from member of police checking cabinet is OK and I seem to have passed supposed non interview interview.

Now time to start looking for a gun, any advice ??

Have been reading up and have been given various pieces of advice, mainly spend approx £750.00 and get some lessons..

Am looking at Miroku as they seem to get good write-up's..

what difference between MK38 and 3800 S ??

MK38 is just a newer version of 3800, different engravings on some guns. MK38 has mono block barrels, 3800 has chopper lump barrels. MK 38 I think also has back bored barrels. I have owned both and both are good. May be best to have lessons before you get the gun though, that way you will know what sort of stock dimemsions you will need, because at your stage in the game you could easily end up with something that will not fit you properly. A good coach will be able to measure you up and give you dimensions for a starter gun. Have fun. :)

Les53,,,,,,,,,,,You answered correctly with no passes.

Next topic is.

Which Beretta to upgrade and trade the Mirook in for once he has learnt a few things.

Have already had a couple of lessons @ Mickley Hall and have been measured up and given plenty of advice.

Just intrigued as to what others think as with anything in life we all have our favorite things.

Just need to start having a drive out and finding a few to look at then

Thanks for responses

Okay you want a first gun. Avoid anything non-standard no matter what the seller says about how brilliant it is now the 1) stock has been bent to fit him 2) forcing cones have been lengthened 3) barrels ported blah blah blah....

Question time Chris: What type of shooting is it going to be used for? Trap? Skeet? Sporting?

Westward,

Mickley Hall has a 10 stand english sporting configuration and thats where I will be doing most of my shooting, if that helps ?

Am just after varied idea's from peeps who have far more knowledge than me

Thanks,

Les53,,,,,,,,,,,You answered correctly with no passes.

Next topic is.

Which Beretta to upgrade and trade the Mirook in for once he has learnt a few things.
Any one should do! Then after realising he cannot shoot a Beretta, its back to a high grade Miroku! :.:

Westward,

Mickley Hall has a 10 stand english sporting configuration and thats where I will be doing most of my shooting, if that helps ?

Am just after varied idea's from peeps who have far more knowledge than me

Thanks,
In which case Westward's advice is to stick to the popular makes & models. An older Miroku, Beretta or Browning in good condition is always going to be a better bet than a new cheapo gun, regardless of what the dealer says, and will always hold value. You might find an MK38 in your budget and I'd deffo recommend going for multi chokes rather than fixed and 30" rather than 28" barrels. Those are the features which will make it a better investment for next year when you trade it in against a Beretta. ;)

Hi Chris, John has some good contacts with regard gun traders who will let you try before you buy with John, i guess you my have had this chat with him. I started on a Mirook SP3000 shot some good scores learnt lots about what suited my style etc. And traded it made £150 as well, a good old gun won't cost you a penny as you will be able to trade / sell at the same price you paid ;-) . I am a year in and it amazes me what i thought when I started and what I know now - now a proud owner of a old ish Perazzi and still can't shot!

Since most people on here are already suggesting that I will change whatever I but within a relatively short timescale would I be better off spending slightly more and getting something different to Miroku ?

The figure has come from reading posts with regard to starter guns and buying something a little lower cost and having more lesons or buying more cartridges.

What is a sensible amount to spend on a gun for a newbie ?

The answer is not too much (if money matters to you) as you will change it a) because you think its holding you back or B) because you love the sport and just want to look at something prettier (or both).

Your second gun has a chance of being worth fitting to you (or you will find one that fits you better). Cant tell well with first gun..

Wise words from CleverSC3, - you many even end up on the dark side and shooting Trap, which may result in a gun change so the cheapest good quality gun the better! I wonder if Mid Wales still have my SP3000 lovely gun and hadn't done much work. Approx £600

We cant say what is too much as we have no idea what you consider to be a lot but as has been mentioned i think, you Will not lose much if anything on a sub 1k gun in a year. And as clever points out and i agree you Will have no idea about gun fit at first so get someone with knowledge to ensure what you buy is not miles wrong then shoot and enjoy.

Then when you are hungry for some propper competition i Will see you on the trap circuit were the propper shooting is done :)

Only kidding chaps

Thanks for all the advice & comments.

My only thoughts are.....

I was planning on £750.00 ish for a gun, but if spending an extra £250.00 gets me something far better that in 12 months time I will get a much better part ex on, then would I be better spending the extra ?

I am gonig down to Mid Wales on Saturday Steve with Father In Law as he has also started to shoot and is looking for first gun, so we are hoping that 2 together will give us a far better bargaining chip so to speak.

Am at Mickley 3rd Nov @ 10:00am with Scott if you about.

I think its all down to what feels right, wont be much difference between a gun for 750 or 1000 maybe a year or so older but it doesnt really matter. You will get a perfectly gun gun for under a 1000 and if its your bag then spend £15 on some stock oil and some sand paper and re-finish the stock (assuming there are a few marks on it which there prob will be) stock will look like new if you do a good job. Spend another £180 and get the barrels re-blacked then you will have an as new gun for less than 1k. (assuming its tight and mechanically sound) A beretta 682 from late 80s early 90s for instance or a miroku will never lose money in fact do the above and you will potentially make a few quid come chop in time. If you let lucky you could find a 682 Gold from mid 90s for less than £1200 now they are a really really good buy and IMO one of the best guns Beratta ever made, much better build quality than the current Gold E.

Used products are all about the individual item. Try and establish that it is a reasonable fit. Apologies if I assume wrongly; but if you are new to this; you will need somebody who knows what they are doing to make you stand correctly (which will feel odd to you) and see how the gun fits.

If you find a popular model of Browning / Miroku / Beretta, preferably with 30" barrels, that about fits you, buy it. If it is a bit knocked about then pay a bit less. If its mint then pay a bit more. Personal choice. Both versions should hold value similarly. There is an argument that you may keep it, so the nicer one would be better; but I advise against a brand new one solely because there is no advantage and you will lose money in a years time if sold.

(I'm gonna cut and paste this for the next time its asked :) )

Latest posts

Back