Repairing new shotgun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lh8611

ShootClay Supporter
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and have said hello in the new members area, but apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I have a new gun that unfortunately ended up with scratches on the barrels. The damage is cosmetic, but looks a mess. The damage wasn't caused by myself and was accidental. Given that the gun is basically brand new I have decided to send it off for rebluing. Will sending a gun for refinish at such an early stage have any effect on the lifespan of the gun? The gun is a miroku MK38, and I'm led to believe that the barrels are silver brazed / hard soldered so they should be ok with hot/caustic bluing.

Does anyone have any experience of getting a gun refinished at such an early stage? Thanks.

Bluing barrels is a fairly straightforward albeit time consuming process. Preparation is everything and largely determines the quality of the finish. Once done it’ll last years providing the barrels are well looked after. Be careful putting your gun in a rack and particularly avoid gun slips as the zip will easily mark the barrel. Use a sock first.

A reblue, even on a new barrel, won’t affect resale value. If it’s going to the manufacturer then fine. If you’re sorting it out yourself there’s really only one company to use in the UK, that’s Wiseman’s at Cannock.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The place where I've put it in is a recognised Miroku/Browning dealer partner so I'm confident I'll come back as good as new. I've been quoted 4-6 weeks for completion. They're putting the work out to mid counties blacking who have good reviews. I'll post some pics and an update once I get it back.

Last edited:
Is the work covered by any warranty from the dealer, I take it that the gun is s/h so no manufacturers warranty.
The gun was brand new, however I've been advised that the work won't affect the manufacturers warranty. I thought this could have been an issue so double checked and why it's getting done through an approved dealer.

An update as promised. I got my barrels back this weekend and I am very happy with the results. They literally look brand new. They even threw in a new mid bead for free. Apologies for the crap pictures

Attachments

• IMG_20230715_134039_625~2.jpg
    IMG_20230715_134039_625~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230715_134047_714.jpg
    IMG_20230715_134047_714.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
Looks like a nice job. I have a grade three as well, but mine is 28 years old. 😂
I had my barrels re blacked earlier this year.

Looks like a nice job. I have a grade three as well, but mine is 28 years old. 😂
I had my barrels re blacked earlier this year.
Thanks mate, yea they did an outstanding job. A few better pics below.

28 years? I'm hoping mine will last that long before I need to have it refinished again.

Attachments

• IMG_20230727_155456_182.jpg
    IMG_20230727_155456_182.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230730_185340_747.jpg
    IMG_20230730_185340_747.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230730_185537_483~2.jpg
    IMG_20230730_185537_483~2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Bluing barrels is a fairly straightforward albeit time consuming process. Preparation is everything and largely determines the quality of the finish. Once done it’ll last years providing the barrels are well looked after. Be careful putting your gun in a rack and particularly avoid gun slips as the zip will easily mark the barrel. Use a sock first.

A reblue, even on a new barrel, won’t affect resale value. If it’s going to the manufacturer then fine. If you’re sorting it out yourself there’s really only one company to use in the UK, that’s Wiseman’s at Cannock.
Midland Blacking at Lichfield do an excellent job, black or blue.

Latest posts

Back