Fiocchi Litespeed 26g

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw 2 of these fail to fire on Sunday. The primers were lightly dented but not enough to strike properly. Now it was a Browning and it was the bottom barrel, but nevertheless the primers did look to be set marginally low.
Throwing a cat among them... bought two slabs this morning and had two light strikes in the 100 shoot. Add that to the one I had last week which I (possibly accurately, although I've not done it for a LONG time...) blamed on me not releasing the trigger for the second shot, and I remembered the above. Yes, mine is a Browning, but one of those today was top barrel. Also, it didn't eject and that's the first time I've ever experienced that!

Needless to say, took the remainder back and exchanged them for Hull Superfast!

Still felt exactly the same to me in terms of recoil though, even to the extent I was using one of each on a couple of stands.

Also, it didn't eject and that's the first time I've ever experienced that!
That would be the one where the hammer didn't drop so probably a trapped trigger.

As for the light strikes, Brownings & Mirokus are more fussy about primer depth than other makes, especially with the bottom barrel. This is because of the very low fulcrum for the hinge, which means the bottom pin length is critical, too long and it binds on the shell head, too short and you get light strikes.

The gunsmith I used to go to (now sadly no longer with us) would never use factory pins for Brownings, he always made up his own and fitted them precisely to the individual gun. His pins didn't erode and the shells always went bang.

That would be the one where the hammer didn't drop so probably a trapped trigger.

As for the light strikes, Brownings & Mirokus are more fussy about primer depth than other makes, especially with the bottom barrel. This is because of the very low fulcrum for the hinge, which means the bottom pin length is critical, too long and it binds on the shell head, too short and you get light strikes.

The gunsmith I used to go to (now sadly no longer with us) would never use factory pins for Brownings, he always made up his own and fitted them precisely to the individual gun. His pins didn't erode and the shells always went bang.
I always listen very intently to your posts about this having a Miroku MK38 and my son 2 MK70s.

I hope I don't have the problems, but its good to know a possible answer in advance. 

👍👍

The J and P pins will eventually pit .  Mine did after a while . It’s the angle that the pins strike at as much as anything . The Browning 525/Miroku action can have problems with the pins getting gummed up in the bore that they slide in  and give a light strike . It’s a doddle to take the pins out ( 2mm parallel punch ) and polish them with fine wet and dry and clean the bores out , oil and reassemble  . Next time mine come out I’ll reprofile the noses of the pins as well as clean them .  Ps only the bottom pin has a return spring . 

Is there a decent how to guide on youtube or summat that you would trust if you didn't already know Martyn? Something I'd like to look into for the future but not sure I'm that confident about disassemling a firearm without the repercussion of fudging it up and it exploding in my face!! 😕

Try this one 😀

In essence you are only drifting two pins out then the firing pins are free ( the. Bottom one being spring loaded pops out  out so cover the action with a cloth ) . I polished the pins by chucking them up in a drill press and running it at low speed then using very fine wet and dry and oil . Will Hewland posted some info a while back about re-profiling the noses of firing pins .  Reassembling the pins is foolproof as they have a flat machined on them that allows the retaining pin to be inserted across them .  Tools I used 2mm pin punch , snipe nosed pliers , small plastic faced hammer . When you’ve finished the top pin will flop backwards and forwards under gravity alone . 

Last edited by a moderator:
3 hours ago, MartynB said:

Try this one 😀

Jesus f'n H that is like a very very bad hang over event ... I say step away from the camera  or ... put a bit of Sitar music in the background  and we can all roll a spliff and just really get into his mantra. It wisnae you that done this vid wis it?

edit ...  Was Jacques Cousteau involved in the filming of this event on the deck of the Titanic  :lol:   

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope wasn’t me 😂 it doesn’t contain my standard working phrases , “ where the **** is my mallet “ and “  whale oil beef hooked if I know where I dropped that spring “ 

Unfortunately it’s the only video I found that shows that the splined pins are driven out-from different sides of the action . 

Recoil is a personal in nature, I have sold a lot of the litepeeds and a lot are repeat business and are out selling the TT1 by a long way so clearly some think Fiocchi have got a good cartridge and value for money.

Recoil is a personal in nature, I have sold a lot of the litepeeds and a lot are repeat business and are out selling the TT1 by a long way so clearly some think Fiocchi have got a good cartridge and value for money.
Love the TT it’s my cartridge of choice 

I've been using the LiteSpeeds regularly since they came out just before Christmas. Perhaps I'm having a different experience to a lot of people, as I have to say that I'm not finding any issues with recoil. I do have a danuser fitted in my gun, but in the past I've been pretty sensitive to recoil! I've not noticed any difference since changing from Gamebore Supergems 24g.

I think that they are spot on, especially for the money. They seem fast, but this suits me and I've had great confidence when using them in comp. Not had any issues yet whatsoever, and I'm really impressed.

Shot 50 of the Litespeed shells in Fibre this morning, yeah they are a little sharper in the shoulder than the 28Grm fibre Jockers I had with me but break targets really well and at a decent distance too.  @ £188/1000 I'll happily have more.   No misfires in the Benelli 828u Sport either.

My understanding is that Fiocchi cartridge primer are usually recessed (very) slightly and are thus more prone to misfire in guns with worn (or short) pins. As the bottom barrel pin wears first it's usually where it is noticed - add to that any issues with the gun design. Switching to another brand will sort the issue however its a warning the pin needs changing. I am aware of 3 guns where Fiocchi cartridges 'highlighted' a wearing pin which needed changing 5/10k cartridges (of another brand) later.

useless fact !

Apparently CIP states 1 joule of energy is the minimum requirement to fire a primer.

Just looked at the can of pop I'm drinking 2kj, set a few off with that then 😉

Latest posts

Back