Fibres or plastics?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do understand the link between biomechanics and the importance of water intake to maintaing a healthy body and like most of us I’m fortunate enough to live in the first world where access to fresh water is pretty much a given right. 

My observation was more about the craze to carry water around with you wherever you go, the world seems to have got this far without the need to do so and I’m struggling to understand the need other than making a fashion statement that’s having a considerable impact on the environment with the UK alone throwing away about 8 billion plastic bottles a year.  
I usually have a bottle of water with me when I'm about just to have a less chlorinated source.  I drank out of horse troughs in Italy but I don't do that so much now.

I have no idea about fashion statements but it may be a simple manifestation of people generally being more aware that they don't have to drink water that smells.  The plastic bottle side effect is unfortunate.  Perhaps further learning will give them the idea about a reusable version.  Didn't seem that big a step for me.

No chance of me carrying a bottle of water around, I already feel like I need to P every 20minutes already. I normally try not to drink for half hour at least before shooting so I don't end looking for the loo and am 34 ! Maybe I should be taking an empty bottle around with me. 

I also looked at the K-80 boring and from what I can find they are 18.6 in the bore so am guessing that Mr Winsor and Ben must be in the same position unless they have different barrels or a different gun for the use of fibre wad cartridges. I also bet they would show up most other shooters on a days shooting. 

No chance of me carrying a bottle of water around, I already feel like I need to P every 20minutes already. I normally try not to drink for half hour at least before shooting so I don't end looking for the loo and am 34 ! Maybe I should be taking an empty bottle around with me. 

I also looked at the K-80 boring and from what I can find they are 18.6 in the bore so am guessing that Mr Winsor and Ben must be in the same position unless they have different barrels or a different gun for the use of fibre wad cartridges. I also bet they would show up most other shooters on a days shooting. 
Fibre wad is usually 18.9mm so why would they need a different gun?

I shot at Bisley a few weeks ago and had to use fibres in my K80, they were fine, broke all the long stuff really well.

Yes I understand that , but when you’re at the pub is it ‘lager’ or ‘bitter’.....I’ve always preferred lager but maybe bitter would be better😁

Has anyone tried them both?
If I HAVE to drink lager, I tend to become bitter   !

Last edited by a moderator:
This kind of discourse is so distressing.  Can't we all just be friends and polite?

even tho you're all a pack of wankers

I find fibres not so good through my DT11. Never done a pattern test vs plastic but the latter just seem to shoot more consistently and hit harder.  Plenty of folks reckon its to do with a poor seal of the wad due to the longer forcing cones which is backed up by the fact that the barrels get a lot dirtier. Anyway its enough for me to always shoot plastic unless its not allowed at a ground.

IF we had no choice but to shoot fibre wadded cartridges , we would all just get on with it and our results would probably be the same or similar . Last Mondays BBC programme 'Drowning in Plastic ' really ought to have been a wake up call for us all .

I am now informed that a fibre wadded cartridge will not kill a 70 yard Pheasant .

Is this true? 

IF we had no choice but to shoot fibre wadded cartridges , we would all just get on with it and our results would probably be the same or similar . Last Mondays BBC programme 'Drowning in Plastic ' really ought to have been a wake up call for us all .

I am now informed that a fibre wadded cartridge will not kill a 70 yard Pheasant .

Is this true? 
When you cam make it a wake up call for India,Africa and Asia it will make a difference until then we are pissing in the wind!

Latest posts

Back