Fibre and Choking

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's one of those things that without some pretty impressive camera equipment, we'll never know the answer to.

I have pattern tested a few steel game cartridges in the past through 1/4 choke and I was quite disappointed in just how big the gaps in the pattern were for a 32g steel 4 compared to a 30g lead 6, easily enough for a smaller game bird to be missed when the ranges were out past 40 yards. I would imagine that a lead 7.5 or 8 would present a pattern that is a lot more populated for a lot longer.

Given that both the shot and target are continuously moving relevant to each other, I'm not sure how effective pattern testing really is.
I shot a pattern plate at 40 yards once and never again. How we manage to break clays at that distance and beyond I will never know.

The price of cartridges we should be able to smash then at a far greater distance. How did George Digweed kill those clays at 100 yard plus. ?
Yeah… I wasn’t saying cartridges are only capable of 16 yards. But if you want to compare patterns, what emerges at 16 yards is very telling. Can’t recall where I read it was the optimal distance to study the results but makes sense to me. I usually do 15..

Yeah… I wasn’t saying cartridges are only capable of 16 yards. But if you want to compare patterns, what emerges at 16 yards is very telling. Can’t recall where I read it was the optimal distance to study the results but makes sense to me. I usually do 15..
Maybe in wrong here but I thought you patterned a gun at 30 yards.

Latest posts

Back