Fibre / Felt wad cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fibre wads are made from a man-made fibrous material impregnated with a mix of bitumen and paraffin wax. Most are capped top and bottom with a thin paper cover.

The material used for our fibre wad is specially selected for its uniform density and thickness before being subjected to a waterproof anti-tear treatment

So after a reasonable effort i find only these statements on fibre wad composition from the manufacturers they actually seem to be trying to keep what their wads consist of quiet,the first one especially is obviously no better than plastic the second does not even give that much info but i would presume that the "waterproof anti-tear treatment" will be similar so not environmentally friendly.

To me it seems we are being sold a dummy on this and in reality people are buying into the fact that they are better for the environment,surprising that no major manufacturer uses the environmental friendliness as a major selling point given that tree huggers would no doubt flock to this manufacturer and increase their sales hugely...

Though the counter argument put forward is that lead is a natural substance, returned to the ground whence it came and not about to spoil the day of some turtle in a distant ocean.    Where as single use plastic items don't get the same leeway applied.

Though in truth neither Plaswads or Fibre shells are great for the environment - either way the plastic components will be under pressure for replacement with something biodegradable.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the wool wads you get in Gamebore Darkstorm game loads?

Unique wad system using 100% British lambs wool which delivers significantly reduced recoil, improved patterns and a perfect gas seal even in back-bored guns, these wads are essential in heavy loads for high birds where a natural wad is required.

Eley produce a fibre cartridge that is cardboard. I believe it may well be recycled cardboard.

The Eley wad used in Firsts is cardboard. I think they use this wad in many of their fibre wadded brands.

The Eley wad used in Firsts is cardboard. I think they use this wad in many of their fibre wadded brands.
I shot 250 of the eley first fibres in 28 gram on a SIM day the other week, through a massively over bored dt11 with 1/4 choke. I here you all gasp, over bored, fibre wad and 1/4 choke, it's going to be virtually useless!

Well, I'm not the biggest eley fan (always thought of them as farmers and old people's cartridges!) But they were excellent, they broke clays to massive distances, easy on the shoulder looked ok too. Only downside was filthy barrels, but would certainly use them again.

OK, I've been hearing this "filthy barrels" whine for a few decades and I just gotta ask - who GAF?  That stuff is just carbon.  Powder residue, wad residue, BFD!  It may even serve as a barrel lube for the next shot ! ! And is gone with one pass of the fuzzy stick.  You all do clean the barrels, right?

People really need to find something meaningful to whine about - something like front bead color or consistent orientation of the cart in the chamber, and of course which orientation is the best and gives the most even patterns.

OK, I've been hearing this "filthy barrels" whine for a few decades and I just gotta ask - who GAF?  That stuff is just carbon.  Powder residue, wad residue, BFD!  It may even serve as a barrel lube for the next shot ! ! And is gone with one pass of the fuzzy stick.  You all do clean the barrels, right?

People really need to find something meaningful to whine about - something like front bead color or consistent orientation of the cart in the chamber, and of course which orientation is the best and gives the most even patterns.
I’m taking about the burned on crust on the forcing cones mainly. Doesn’t brush off without a lot of effort. Worse with some brands of course. It’s not a problem when I shoot fibre occasionally, as plastic wads at my next shoot get rid of most of it..

I bet as above it will have none environmentally chemicals soaked into it as above to make it damproof/hold together so not really environmentally friendly then are they?

There is an answer to the fibre/plaswad debate. 

Lets go go back to muzzle loading! I know it won’t help with the lead issue, but it will sort the plastic bit out.....

The last time I bought Eley cartridges was the last until I get convinced to try them again as that last 1k were Eley first fibres and every shot was like a party popper going off, I still hit stuff but all the card disks were embarrassing floating down. Everyone who saw them thought it was funny, I was real glad to get rid of them and haven't had any of their products since.

I have a slab of some LE Super Comps in fibre to try so will see how I get on with them when I get chance but if not I will stick with my GB EVO`s or Velocitys ! 

Back