Favourite place to shoot

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fauldsy

Just out of interest it would be good to know where all your favourite places to shoot are, it may be for a number of reasons, target quality, facilities, atmosphere, food or anything else.

Thoughts on a post card...

Sw2000 for all the above reasons. Great people, place, targets and food! Oh, and good vfm too.

I've shot at quite a few grounds. The one that I probably like most is The Oaks. It's 3 miles from home, they always try really hard to put on a good variety of targets even though they've got limited space. No real club house facilities ( you can make a cup of tea or coffee). It's £20.00 for 100 targets, but most of all I always get a warm welcome and feel as if they're pleased to see me.

Strange as it may sound I can't ever remember the weather being bad there, I've arrived in the rain and left in a blizzard but the sun's always shone whilst I've been shooting.

Shot at Dartford Clay Shooting Club today. Only been there once before, but a heck of a lot of work has gone on there over the past few months, with new approach roads etc.

Excellent clubhouse and good prices. Will definitely be shooting there more over the coming months.

Mid Wales Shooting Ground, great targets, fantastic staff, lovely food, always friendly and welcoming.. :nyam:

And my local ground at a 160 mile round trip..

For variety of targets and lots of different stands, I like Lakenheath. Shame about the fact that there are now no on-site facilities.I was also impressed by Doveridge for their warm welcome, variety of targets, high driven birds and the neat and tidy way that they keep the grounds manicured, the wildlife is also quite amusing. Did the RBSS Handicap the other day and have to say that whilst shooting like a dog, the facilities are first class, particularly the grouse flush, the warm clubhouse and the excellent toasted bacon and egg rolls. I also have a bit of a soft spot for Woodland Park near Brecon. Only a little ground with basic facilities but the owner is a first class gentleman who has been battling with local Nimbies and over zealous Council officials for many years now. The wooded layout, challenging targets and surrounding countryside is stunning. The home made rock cakes are also pretty good and come free with unlimited coffee.

Almost forgot to mention Southdown. Great facilities and the targets nearly always leave me in tears.

Oh yes and a mention for Cambridge Gun Club, loads of variety, very friendly atmosphere and excellent bacon butties.

Just my 2 cents

MM

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh they are many and varied :) Owls Lodge is certainly up there (and no, thats not a creep) great clubhouse, nice tidy ground, plenty to play on (nice skeet layout which is useful at the moment) and helpful staff. Get yourselves open more often on Saturdays please, this boy really needs the practice :lol: Ian Coleys is another favorite, again with plenty to play on, gunshop on site with a great staff attitude.

As for registered grounds. Westfield shows some great targets and is a terrific looking ground, same for Wylye, when the sun is out there probably aren't any grounds nicer to shoot than these (and they both do superb cake). I do like Sporting Targets as they really seem to have their act together as far as the live leaderboard and some tasty tower birds, just a shame they are miles away from me. Four Counties is another great ground, a great welcome, and the scorers & staff are a credit to Sue & Brian.

Has to be Westfield and Newbold, because each has superb topography. Rolling hills,valleys, trees etc. And both have great target setters, showing long clays, but no edge-on rubbish with no time to see / shoot.

Facilities are a bonus at Westfield, but it's all about the clays, so Newbold on a par.

Pretty much the same as Fuz accept I will swap Westfield for The Shooting Club at Upavon only because I've only shot Westfield once on bitter cold day , but its on the list for a return when it's warmer ;)

Wylye Valley,hands down. It fits everything you could want from a sporting ground. Welcoming,accommodating,awesome targets,awesome topography,good clubhouse,good food,clean toilets.

Shooting birds from towers just isn't the same as shooting a bird off of,or on top of that high ridge at Wylye.....there's nowhere like it.

Hodnet, Grimsthorpe, longridge, Westfield , all for target presentation The amenities are second to the targets for me.

Only been shooting for 7 months so not been to a lot of grounds. Doveridge is the one we have used the most as its open most of the time. Now members its 22p a clay. Nice food vast variety of targets. Really nice and friendly staff.

Hodnet and Ian Coleys seem to be more up market grounds. Really nice places to shoot with everything you could wish for.

High Lodge has been the best laid out ground with 99% of stands being under cover. Shame its 200 miles away.

DTL is Mid Wales SC, the best targets by far. Skeet is probably Lakenheath.

Always loved basford shooting ground (near kingsley moor),its very basic but the targets are good because the terain is so good for sporting,its only down the road and its very cheep,and my second choice is cloudside the setting and clubhouse are very nice and there is a good sportrap on .the prices are a bit high but that has to be expected when the facilates are so good.Abroad would have to be konapite near prague,if you can go to the fitasc sporting there this year you wont regret it,i think richard won a car there once.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Tricky to narrow it down, best place I have ever shot is Trap Concaverde. Favourite ground target wise in uk (OT) is probably Beverley. The few times I have shot there the targets were near supersonic, but visibility great.

Atmosphere and b-a-n-t-e-r wise my two more local grounds Griffin Lloyd and SW2000 take some beating. Both have great views and relaxing surroundings too which is a bonus.

Hodnet and Grimsthorpe both for the variety and quality of targets, they are in a lovely setting amongst trees but I think Hodnet has the edge with it's hills and valleys. Hodnet's Scandinavian type wooden club house is very civilised and the food good value too. I do love the targets at Grimsthorpe though always a challenge. Both grounds seem to make an effort to hide the traps which I also like.

Latest posts

Back