Extended chokes for game

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easier to shoot or just different?

What's appropriate attire and what dictates what should be worn on a shoot? Why should someone be turned away due to the way they happen to be dressed assuming it's not offensive?

My idea of smart and 'in keeping with a shirt and tie' are probably very different to what others would consider and certainly wouldn't be suitable for shooting in. Besides tweed clashes with my hair  ;)

Again I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely puzzled as to why it matters what someone wears to a shoot assuming its sensible and suitable for the weather and not brightly coloured etc.  
Easier to shoot.

As for attire, plenty of examples online, tweed not necessary, can probably find socks to match any hair!

Sorry but I'm just not buying into the SXS UO debate. I've shot pheasant & partridge over many years on some fabulous shoots and always shot OU, as have the majority of guns. I think we will never meet on this subject. Jeeze, I thought extended chokes 'might' be contentious, but barrel form!! Sheesh!!
Which is why it's great to have choice!

IMO dress doesn't define (nor command) respect although I understand it does to some... The persons attitude and ability is what defines that to me, not what they wear or what gun they choose to shoot with.

As for the tradition bit - it's great that some people still want to uphold that - but should people be shunned from a shoot just because they don't turn up wearing the same as everyone else? Again assuming what they are wearing is sensible attire...
Your obviously a bit of a rebel i am to so i understand you think respect should be earned and not given,but over the years i have learned there are caveats to this.

You wouldn't turn up to a black tie dinner without one if you were male so along those lines.

First of all, I am a Game shooter turned Clay shooter, I began to shoot clays in 1974, when I was paid to do so. (indirectly)  For the first 2 years I shot an AyA No. 2 S x S, as it was my ONLY gun. Using that gun, I finished ninth in a National English skeet shoot, my first competition. It was a 50 bird shoot (most were back then) and I was given 75 Winchester AA's 1 1/8 ozs. to use.  If only I had heard about how much easier things were with an O/U then, I may have bettered my 46 ex 50 score  !   I still insist on using my current S x S 12 bore for game shooting (which I bought in 1979) and 1 ozs. of 5's or 6's  depending on the shoot. I prefer the S x S for many reasons as a game gun, easier and quicker to load, instant choke choice, (via triggers) carries better on the arm, Oh, and of course 'the biggie', it is far harder to shoot  ( :angel: )  I try to avoid shooting 'driven' ducks whenever possible, but, if I am left with no alternative (rather than offend), I will use 28 grams of steel in my Beretta 20 bore O/U  (just to make things easier). I am now the wrong side of 70, have suffered 2 minor strokes, a shoulder operation (that failed) and 2 left eye operations. I still shoot clays on  a regular basis, using an O/U, but being so easy, it is now only for enjoyment.  I try to average 3 game days per season, using my S x S. I restrict it to 3 days as it is so difficult using my preferred gun instead of my 'Sporter'. Mind you, difficult as it is, I still manage slightly better than 2 for 1. Oh, and yes I wear a shirt and tie and tweeds, but more for comfort than anything else. I personally could NOT give a toss as to what my other guns are using, including a semi auto, as long as they are SAFE and shoot in a sporting manner. I put more emphasis on ensuring everything possible is done to avoid leaving any wounded birds and that we ALL have a memorable and enjoyable day. 
I concur and I don't give a tinkers cuss to whatever guns are being used by others. Manners, safety, good company and respect for others is all that counts for me. And yes I always wear the tweeds, shirt & tie, mainly because I like to. 

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO dress doesn't define (nor command) respect although I understand it does to some... The persons attitude and ability is what defines that to me, not what they wear or what gun they choose to shoot with.

As for the tradition bit - it's great that some people still want to uphold that - but should people be shunned from a shoot just because they don't turn up wearing the same as everyone else? Again assuming what they are wearing is sensible attire...
Agree completely, but people should be free to run their shoot as they wish and in our case all syndicate members wish to have traditionally presented birds and use traditional style guns dressed in a traditional style.

its all about choice, which abounds in shooting!

the way I see dress code is this...

its tradition and SHOULD / MUST be upheld. Its part of the fun getting dressed up in your tweed, socks, garters and breeks. But also they are designed for the job and do it well.

I am also a maverick, if you were to see pictures of me up to age 34 you would be aghast so nobody understands the desire to non conform than I do BUT with respect everyone conforms even if they don't know it. As a biker (well more of a hippy really) for instance as I was you conform to a "group" or a "scene" by "not conforming" to conformity therefore you conformed to something. Everything has a dress code even "no dress code" is a dress code.

my head hurts now. Did that make sense. ?

I guess it's the same as people don't turn up to play a round of golf at a club in ripped jeans and a t shirt?!

like others have said, it's "the done thing", tradition, and respectful too. 
I would... although I don't golf. I'd go in jeans, a vest top and trainers as its what I would find comfortable for that activity.

I'm a 'professional' in my work life - I meet lots of other professionals from around the world on a weekly basis for various business meetings. While I dress smartly for work in those situations, it's far from what would be considered 'conventional' business attire. Has it ever affected my ability to do my job or have a good outcome to those meetings? Not at all.

I respect people for the person they are, not what they wear or what gun they choose to shoot.

Your obviously a bit of a rebel i am to so i understand you think respect should be earned and not given,but over the years i have learned there are caveats to this.

You wouldn't turn up to a black tie dinner without one if you were male so along those lines.
I'm not really a rebel, but I like to express my personal style - and while I do respect dress codes to a certain extent, I also like to challenge them a little. My idea of black tie would be corsets and done up to the 9's. Something I love to do at any available opportunity anyway.

Easier to shoot.

As for attire, plenty of examples online, tweed not necessary, can probably find socks to match any hair!
My hair is currently bright pink and purple!  :lol:

I've never shot SXS so I can't really comment much on the relative ease. But I see a lot of 'game' guns are O/U when I have been out shopping recently.

the way I see dress code is this...

its tradition and SHOULD / MUST be upheld. Its part of the fun getting dressed up in your tweed, socks, garters and breeks. But also they are designed for the job and do it well.

I am also a maverick, if you were to see pictures of me up to age 34 you would be aghast so nobody understands the desire to non conform than I do BUT with respect everyone conforms even if they don't know it. As a biker (well more of a hippy really) for instance as I was you conform to a "group" or a "scene" by "not conforming" to conformity therefore you conformed to something. Everything has a dress code even "no dress code" is a dress code.

my head hurts now. Did that make sense. ?
Why 'must' it be upheld. Sure if that's what you enjoy doing, by all means do so, but it sounds like hell to me. I don't conform to anything, most of my nice clothes are one off, custom made pieces. Unique. But it doesn't mean I can't be smart and 'proper' when I need to be. My idea of ideal clothes to shoot in would depend on the weather, but clean, dark coloured jeans, plain t-shirt or hoody/waterproof jacket if cooler and some stout boots.

Sorry for derailing a little - I'm just being curious and mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone.

I would... although I don't golf. I'd go in jeans, a vest top and trainers as its what I would find comfortable for that activity.

I'm a 'professional' in my work life - I meet lots of other professionals from around the world on a weekly basis for various business meetings. While I dress smartly for work in those situations, it's far from what would be considered 'conventional' business attire. Has it ever affected my ability to do my job or have a good outcome to those meetings? Not at all.

I respect people for the person they are, not what they wear or what gun they choose to shoot.

I'm not really a rebel, but I like to express my personal style - and while I do respect dress codes to a certain extent, I also like to challenge them a little. My idea of black tie would be corsets and done up to the 9's. Something I love to do at any available opportunity anyway.

My hair is currently bright pink and purple!  :lol:

I've never shot SXS so I can't really comment much on the relative ease. But I see a lot of 'game' guns are O/U when I have been out shopping recently.

Why 'must' it be upheld. Sure if that's what you enjoy doing, by all means do so, but it sounds like hell to me. I don't conform to anything, most of my nice clothes are one off, custom made pieces. Unique. But it doesn't mean I can't be smart and 'proper' when I need to be. My idea of ideal clothes to shoot in would depend on the weather, but clean, dark coloured jeans, plain t-shirt or hoody/waterproof jacket if cooler and some stout boots.

Sorry for derailing a little - I'm just being curious and mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone.
Nothing better than genuine questions, that's what this forum is great for.  If you fancy trying a sxs you are welcome to borrow one of mine, it would be interesting to see your thoughts and you can wear what you like!

Bright pink and purple socks and garters won't be tough to find if you ever need any!

the dress code tradition must be upheld for the very same reason that the tradition of none conformity (by those that want to) should be upheld. In my yoof if a suit walked into one of our biker pubs two things would happen. First folk would at least try to be sure he wasn't DS and when satisfied (well satisfied enough) he would exit via the window. Why, because he did not conform to our none conformity . My point is there is nothing new about none conformity but we all like to belong to a group.

ask yourself this. How many folk would go shopping in a town centre dressed in full tweed, breeks, garters, etc ??? WHO IS THE GROUP THAT ARE THE MOST OFF THE WALL NONE CONFORMIST AS FAR AS DRESS IS CONCERNED?????

the dress code tradition must be upheld for the very same reason that the tradition of none conformity (by those that want to) should be upheld. In my yoof if a suit walked into one of our biker pubs two things would happen. First folk would at least try to be sure he wasn't DS and when satisfied (well satisfied enough) he would exit via the window. Why, because he did not conform to our none conformity . My point is there is nothing new about none conformity but we all like to belong to a group.

ask yourself this. How many folk would go shopping in a town centre dressed in full tweed, breeks, garters, etc ??? WHO IS THE GROUP THAT ARE THE MOST OFF THE WALL NONE CONFORMIST AS FAR AS DRESS IS CONCERNED?????
I hate stopping for petrol dressed in shooting attire, you get some very odd looks!

So, my 'tradition' of non conformity would certainly be unwelcome on a game shoot by the sounds of it?

I don't follow any particular group or fashion at all. However I'll vigorously defend anyone's right to dress however they wish without prejudice.

I do quite a bit for the Sophie Lancaster Foundation. And I'd defend anyone's right to go shopping in tweed etc, in fact I think it would be wonderful if that's what people are comfortable in.

Nothing better than genuine questions, that's what this forum is great for.  If you fancy trying a sxs you are welcome to borrow one of mine, it would be interesting to see your thoughts and you can wear what you like!

Bright pink and purple socks and garters won't be tough to find if you ever need any!
Thank you very much. I've no idea whether I'll ever be able to take that offer up, but it's very welcome nonetheless. :)

I never mean offence, and totally respect anyone's right to follow their traditions if that's their choice. I'll apologise again if I came across as being awkward, it's not my intention.

I managed to get a pink and purple skeet vest... ?

I hate stopping for petrol dressed in shooting attire, you get some very odd looks!
exactly my point. I get more funny looks than I ever did in a cheescloth and afghan ?

So, my 'tradition' of non conformity would certainly be unwelcome on a game shoot by the sounds of it?

I don't follow any particular group or fashion at all. However I'll vigorously defend anyone's right to dress however they wish without prejudice.

I do quite a bit for the Sophie Lancaster Foundation. And I'd defend anyone's right to go shopping in tweed etc, in fact I think it would be wonderful if that's what people are comfortable in.

Thank you very much. I've no idea whether I'll ever be able to take that offer up, but it's very welcome nonetheless. :)

I never mean offence, and totally respect anyone's right to follow their traditions if that's their choice. I'll apologise again if I came across as being awkward, it's not my intention.

I managed to get a pink and purple skeet vest... ?
not at all taken as offence I can assure you.

but its fare and honest to say that anyone who shot a formal driven day would not be welcome back if they did not dress accordingly, anymore than you would be if you turned up to a black tie do in jeans unless the dress code for said black tie do was openly to dress "non black tie" as a non conformist statement and therefore everyone there conforms to the none conformist dress code.

there is in reality no such thing as non conformity. I remember a great song from the 80s that sums it up "its hip to be square" ?

And I was a punk with spiked hair, bondage trousers, studded leather jacket with UK SUBS on the back! Not to mention the 18 hole Doc Martins. Far cry from my current look on the peg!!

And I was a punk with spiked hair, bondage trousers, studded leather jacket with UK SUBS on the back! Not to mention the 18 hole Doc Martins. Far cry from my current look on the peg!!
I now really like you. Some of my best mates were punks we kind of stood together against mods and new romantics ? although they did like to fight but generally with there best friend...which was odd ?

I think PP's shoot is at the extreme end of tradition but good luck to them I say. In a world where anything seems to go and to hell with the consequences its nice to do something how its allways been done and forget the modern world we're stuck in.

I wear a full tweed suit provided by my boss and I'm proud to do so. I worked damn hard to get where I have and would have absolutely no quarms wandering around Asda in it (and have done!)

I shoot an o/u game gun which is fixed choke. I think the extended choke thing comes from the etiquette that a gentleman shouldn't be seen to be "trying" too hard and be modest of his abilities. Any visual aids that allude that someone is "trying" may look out of place. I'm not saying this is right or wrong. Just my theory.

PM.

I think PP's shoot is at the extreme end of tradition but good luck to them I say. In a world where anything seems to go and to hell with the consequences its nice to do something how its allways been done and forget the modern world we're stuck in.

I wear a full tweed suit provided by my boss and I'm proud to do so. I worked damn hard to get where I have and would have absolutely no quarms wandering around Asda in it (and have done!)

I shoot an o/u game gun which is fixed choke. I think the extended choke thing comes from the etiquette that a gentleman shouldn't be seen to be "trying" too hard and be modest of his abilities. Any visual aids that allude that someone is "trying" may look out of place. I'm not saying this is right or wrong. Just my theory.

PM.
Agreed Perazman. However, I may tell you that I was salmon fishing on the Dee and walked through Tesco in full waders & wading boots. I can't actually believe I was asked if I had been fishing!

As for the extended chokes, I have ordered some flush ones!! 

Cheers

Ian

but its fare and honest to say that anyone who shot a formal driven day would not be welcome back if they did not dress accordingly, anymore than you would be if you turned up to a black tie do in jeans unless the dress code for said black tie do was openly to dress "non black tie" as a non conformist statement and therefore everyone there conforms to the none conformist dress code.
Explains why I don't get invited out much  :lol:  I'm not making my point very well, but anyway, it matters not :)

Your arguments against conformity are lost on me. I neither conform nor don't conform in many ways.  :lol:

Perhaps the charm of gameshooting and its etiquette is the fact that it isnt logical and never will be. You can either revel in its traditions and enjoy it or set yourself up as a rebel raging against the machine.

There's perfectly logical arguments against most traditional do's and don'ts but that doesnt mean they're right.

PM.

Your arguments against conformity are lost on me. I neither conform nor don't conform in many ways.  :lol:
you lost me now so touche ?

been a great thread though, enjoyed in a lot. ?

Clay guns are ou, game guns aren't..
Tell that to everyone who owns an O/U game gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

The traditional game gun is a SxS, just to clear up any confusion  :)

A  couple of stories .

I had an invitation to shoot a few days at Chatsworth House in the 70's , turned up on the day with my O/U , got a few strange looks and later in the day , very discretely the late Duke of Devonshire said " We don't really like those here". Wife bought me my first sidelock S/S the following week.

Whilst on my way to shoot at Castle Ashby I stopped at Watford Gap services for a toilet break. I had breeks and waistcoat in matched tweed ( suit)

Whilst propping up the porcelain I was being stared at by a young boy accompanied by his Dad , the boy was frantically tugging on Dad's trousers and pointing at me .

Dad turned to young boy and said " Shhhhush , he's probably from a religious society " and hushered the boy away.

Latest posts

Back