question of choke

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bostonmick

i have the optima hp chokes in my dt11 black.my question to those far more knowledgeable is i have a gold band one and a green band but both show 4 stars which i presume to be 1/4 however with a rather crude choke opening tool the green is definitely more open than the gold.so why would two obviously different chokes be coded the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always understood gold (yellow) to be 1/4 and green 1/2. 

I have had experience of Beretta wrongly marking chokes in the past! I don’t trust them at all so measure them.

Identification

* / Stars

Alpha Code

Serrations

Color Bands

Xtra Full

XFULL TURKEY

No Color

Full

F

White

Light Full

LF

Gray

Improved Modified

IM

Black

Modified

M

Green

Light Modified

LM

Orange

Improved Cylinder

IC

Yellow

Skeet USA

SK USA

Purple

Skeet

SK

Red

Cylinder

CYL

Blue

SP - ALL STEEL SHOT COMPATABLE CHOKE TUBES

NOTE: Markings may vary based on type of choke tube

I have an oddball half choke, it's silver/grey. It came in Beretta half choke packaging and measures the same as my green Mod (Half) choke. I bought it from Ian Coley when I bought the gun.

I don't know why it is that colour, perhaps it missed the green anodising process.

Yellow/gold is 1/4 Imp Cyl 

There are some different types of Optima HP- Choke tubes. Flush, extended with color ring, extended black, extended black ported, extended silver....

https://estore.beretta.com/en-eu/store/gun-accessories/shotguns/choketubes/

The coloured Cylinder (blue) and improved Cylinder (yellow) have both 4 stars, but 4 (IC) and 5 (C) notches as the flush version.

I measured my set:

Optima HP.jpg

And here is the list printed in the manual:

Optima HP_2.jpg

Perhaps the green one wider than the gold one might be a third party choke?

Last edited by a moderator:
my chokes are all genuine beretta..its no big deal i have put what i believe to be 1/4 and 1/2"in and am happy with that.it was just i had a few minutes to waste and played with measuring the chokes.

Latest posts

Back