Extended chokes for game

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks ips and schmokkin.  I agree about standards and the need to be respectful to the shoot, the hosts, guests, keepers & beaters.  I always dress accordingly and wouldn't expect to do otherwise.  My concern was that something as trivial as an extended choke would be frowned upon.  I have shot game for many years and wouldn't have thought twice about chokes, but I am quite a newbie to clays.  I have bought a decent sporting gun and was thinking of giving it an 'airing' on a pheasant shoot, but if the chokes are hugely out-of-place, I would happily screw in a pair of flush-fitting.  I'm not in the business of upsetting folk and would rather spend £90 than do something that doesn't fit in.
I would remain cautious and use flushed ?

Or those damn clays last weel!  :angel:
yep, and those pesky clays ?

Our shoot doesn't allow clay guns at all, quite rightly in my opinion, there are no stupidly high birds hence no need for heavy artillery clay guns.  Equally anyone hoping to shoot had better be wearing a shirt and tie otherwise they will be disappointed whether driven or walked up days.  We have sold all syndicate places and 4 let days for 2018/19 on this basis already.

If birds are so high that you need to use the right tool for the job (clay gun) then chokes shouldn't matter surely?

I would remain cautious and use flushed ?
I am presuming that you are shooting walked up stuff then  ?  If you are shooting driven game, who the hell is going to see your chokes  ?  Carry your gun to your peg in a slip, remove from slip, use, replace in said slip  !  I could not tell you what sort of gun either of my neighbours are using at any driven shoot that I have been at, BUT I could sure as hell tell you HOW they removed it from it's slip AND on 1 occasion how clean his barrels were (I found myself looking down them a couple of times) as to what sort of chokes...well  ?  Save your money and shoot yer socks off  !  If you shoot well, you may find they ALL have extended chokes on your next visit.

If you feel that flushing them could do the trick, then do so, but to buy flush chokes could just be money down the drain  !

Our shoot doesn't allow clay guns at all, quite rightly in my opinion, there are no stupidly high birds hence no need for heavy artillery clay guns.  Equally anyone hoping to shoot had better be wearing a shirt and tie otherwise they will be disappointed whether driven or walked up days.  We have sold all syndicate places and 4 let days for 2018/19 on this basis already.

If birds are so high that you need to use the right tool for the job (clay gun) then chokes shouldn't matter surely?
I occasionally use my S x S for shooting clays, it is an 80 year old English game gun. I rarely find that clay shooters object though !  

I am presuming that you are shooting walked up stuff then  ?  If you are shooting driven game, who the hell is going to see your chokes  ?  Carry your gun to your peg in a slip, remove from slip, use, replace in said slip  !  I could not tell you what sort of gun either of my neighbours are using at any driven shoot that I have been at, BUT I could sure as hell tell you HOW they removed it from it's slip AND on 1 occasion how clean his barrels were (I found myself looking down them a couple of times) as to what sort of chokes...well  ?  Save your money and shoot yer socks off  !  If you shoot well, you may find they ALL have extended chokes on your next visit.

If you feel that flushing them could do the trick, then do so, but to buy flush chokes could just be money down the drain  !

I occasionally use my S x S for shooting clays, it is an 80 year old English game gun. I rarely find that clay shooters object though !  
Because are you are making life harder, not easier...  Our shoot will show traditionally presented birds so clay guns will make it too easy and are unnecessary as 30g 6/5 is enough, hence no need to absorb heavy recoil.

Because are you are making life harder, not easier...  Our shoot will show traditionally presented birds so clay guns will make it too easy and are unnecessary as 30g 6/5 is enough, hence no need to absorb heavy recoil.
In that case could you please enlighten me as to where I can obtain one of these 'magic' clay guns that make shooting live quarry so easy. I feel I owe it to the birds that I shoot at to obtain as many clean kills as possible and using a gun that makes that task so 'easy' is a must. I did once hear of some magic cartridges that I could try too, they only went off when they were 'on target'  !  If you wish to make shooting game more difficult with your traditional guns, may I suggest you make it harder still and use cartridges without any shot in them.  They seem to be readily available at most clay shooting grounds  !

Most unsporting old chap, THAT is NOT giving the birds a sporting chance    :lol:
I've just seen a Baikal with a 13-inch stock and bent barrels for £50, I'll use that on my next day at the end of October.  I mean I'm paying £650 for a mixed Partridge/Pheasant day and don't fancy hitting anything.

That picture was taken on a nice mornings goose shooting, bought down my first Canada at a huge distance, very unsporting of me.

I know of someone who shoots with some of the Royal Family and uses a battered old Baikal. It MUST be a clay gun though, because he rarely misses  ! 

I can accept the shirt & tie rule but no clay guns?  I have a sporter which is the one gun for both game & clays. I can't for the life of me understand why on earth that wouldn't be acceptable on a game shoot with flush fitting chokes. I shoot with some very experienced guns who have shot for 25 years and use a sporter. The suggestion that a sporter isn't acceptable is totally beyond all comprehension. I wouldn't give a flying ***** if a gun was using a sporter on a day. Some can't afford both!!

Last edited by a moderator:
In that case could you please enlighten me as to where I can obtain one of these 'magic' clay guns that make shooting live quarry so easy. I feel I owe it to the birds that I shoot at to obtain as many clean kills as possible and using a gun that makes that task so 'easy' is a must. I did once hear of some magic cartridges that I could try too, they only went off when they were 'on target'  !  If you wish to make shooting game more difficult with your traditional guns, may I suggest you make it harder still and use cartridges without any shot in them.  They seem to be readily available at most clay shooting grounds  !
Ou guns are easier to shoot than sxs, hopefully that's not breaking news to you..  If you feel you don't have the tools/skills or combination for a clean kill then please don't take the shot.

I can accept the shirt & tie rule but no clay guns?  I have a sporter which is the one gun for both game & clays. I can't for the life of me understand why on earth that wouldn't be acceptable on a game shoot with flush fitting chokes. I shoot with some very experienced guns who have shot for 25 years and use a sporter. The suggestion that a sporter isn't acceptable is totally beyond all comprehension. I wouldn't give if a gun was using a sporter on a day. Some can't afford both!!
Other shoots are available... Some people like tradition, some people don't... I dislike classic cars but some people love them.  The world would be a boring place if it were all the same!

Ou guns are easier to shoot than sxs, hopefully that's not breaking news to you..  If you feel you don't have the tools/skills or combination for a clean kill then please don't take the shot.

Other shoots are available... Some people like tradition, some people don't... I dislike classic cars but some people love them.  The world would be a boring place if it were all the same!
I'll choose one of the others. 

I'll choose one of the others

I'll choose one of the others. 
That's the great thing about choice, traditional style shoots aren't for everyone.  In the same way as I would avoid extreme high or big bag days it's important that everyone can find something that suits them.

However, back on track, and as I mentioned above, I don't think many people would seriously care which chokes you use, you can get black extended chokes for your gun if you prefer which work well (I used to have 690 iii for extreme birds) but the ends of the choke aren't smooth and catch your slip.

Although, if you set your gun up with extended ported pattern masters top and bottom you may get some quizzical looks.

That's the great thing about choice, traditional style shoots aren't for everyone.  In the same way as I would avoid extreme high or big bag days it's important that everyone can find something that suits them.

However, back on track, and as I mentioned above, I don't think many people would seriously care which chokes you use, you can get black extended chokes for your gun if you prefer which work well (I used to have 690 iii for extreme birds) but the ends of the choke aren't smooth and catch your slip.

Although, if you set your gun up with extended ported pattern masters top and bottom you may get some quizzical looks.
Can you honestly say that you are aware of what type of chokes your neighbouring guns are using  ?  Maybe your pegs are a little too close on your very traditional shoot  !

Latest posts

Back