Extended chokes for game

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do shoot on traditional shoots with my dedicated game gun but never been concerned about if the guy on the next peg has a sporter in his hands. If he's safe, respectable and good company I honestly don't give a stuff what he's using. I asked the question about chokes on my sporter on game days as I really didn't feel it was an issue until one individual pointed it out to me. I fancied trying the sporter as I shoot it really well. 

I do shoot on traditional shoots with my dedicated game gun but never been concerned about if the guy on the next peg has a sporter in his hands. If he's safe, respectable and good company I honestly don't give a stuff what he's using. I asked the question about chokes on my sporter on game days as I really didn't feel it was an issue until one individual pointed it out to me. I fancied trying the sporter as I shoot it really well. 
AND based on that, you know which gun you should be using. Rather than looking at what others are doing, I concentrate on my own performance, UNLESS there is a safety issue. I then politely suggest if they continue to shoot in a dangerous manner, they should bring some Vaseline with them ! 

Our shoot doesn't allow clay guns at all, quite rightly in my opinion, there are no stupidly high birds hence no need for heavy artillery clay guns.  Equally anyone hoping to shoot had better be wearing a shirt and tie otherwise they will be disappointed whether driven or walked up days.  We have sold all syndicate places and 4 let days for 2018/19 on this basis already.

If birds are so high that you need to use the right tool for the job (clay gun) then chokes shouldn't matter surely?
What's the difference? Define clay gun vs game gun for me? What makes it easier to hit your target with one vs the other?

I've never worn a shirt and tie in my life. Or do you only allow guys on your shoots too?

PS I'm not being facetious, just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll go with the last sentence here!! ??........ but with flush chokes ?

IMG_0290.PNG

What's the difference? Define clay gun vs game gun for me? What makes it easier to hit your target with one vs the other?

I've never worn a shirt and tie in my life. Or do you only allow guys on your shoots too?

PS I'm not being facetious, just curious.
Nope, we have two ladies on our shoot, both wear appropriate attire in keeping with Shirt and a Tie for Gents.

Clay guns are ou, game guns aren't..

ou are easier to shoot than sxs which means on traditional shoots they are often not especially sporting but have their place on extreme days (which aren't to my taste)

Nope, we have two ladies on our shoot, both wear appropriate attire in keeping with Shirt and a Tie for Gents.

Clay guns are ou, game guns aren't..

ou are easier to shoot than sxs which means on traditional shoots they are often not especially sporting but have their place on extreme days (which aren't to my taste)
Easier to shoot or just different?

What's appropriate attire and what dictates what should be worn on a shoot? Why should someone be turned away due to the way they happen to be dressed assuming it's not offensive?

My idea of smart and 'in keeping with a shirt and tie' are probably very different to what others would consider and certainly wouldn't be suitable for shooting in. Besides tweed clashes with my hair  ;)

Again I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely puzzled as to why it matters what someone wears to a shoot assuming its sensible and suitable for the weather and not brightly coloured etc.  

Easier to shoot or just different?

What's appropriate attire and what dictates what should be worn on a shoot? Why should someone be turned away due to the way they happen to be dressed assuming it's not offensive?

My idea of smart and 'in keeping with a shirt and tie' are probably very different to what others would consider and certainly wouldn't be suitable for shooting in. Besides tweed clashes with my hair  ;)

Again I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely puzzled as to why it matters what someone wears to a shoot assuming its sensible and suitable for the weather and not brightly coloured etc.  
Tradition in short but it is way more complicated than just that and i have only ever been on one small shoot,respect for the Game is a big part of it.

Tradition in short but it is way more complicated than just that and i have only ever been on one small shoot,respect for the Game is a big part of it.
Tradition?

Does a grouse/pheasant care if you are wearing a shirt and tie rather than a hoody? Perhaps they are more intelligent than I thought!  :lol:

(I'm being a bit silly... ;) )

Tradition?

Does a grouse/pheasant care if you are wearing a shirt and tie rather than a hoody? Perhaps they are more intelligent than I thought!  :lol:

(I'm being a bit silly... ;) )
As i said way more complicated and it isn't just simply dress,i would imagine the dress bit came from dressing up to respect the lord of the land who would have invited you originally'

Whether or not the game knows would be immaterial to showing it respect and respecting the other shooters.

As i said way more complicated and it isn't just simply dress,i would imagine the dress bit came from dressing up to respect the lord of the land who would have invited you originally'

Whether or not the game knows would be immaterial to showing it respect and respecting the other shooters.
IMO dress doesn't define (nor command) respect although I understand it does to some... The persons attitude and ability is what defines that to me, not what they wear or what gun they choose to shoot with.

As for the tradition bit - it's great that some people still want to uphold that - but should people be shunned from a shoot just because they don't turn up wearing the same as everyone else? Again assuming what they are wearing is sensible attire...

First of all, I am a Game shooter turned Clay shooter, I began to shoot clays in 1974, when I was paid to do so. (indirectly)  For the first 2 years I shot an AyA No. 2 S x S, as it was my ONLY gun. Using that gun, I finished ninth in a National English skeet shoot, my first competition. It was a 50 bird shoot (most were back then) and I was given 75 Winchester AA's 1 1/8 ozs. to use.  If only I had heard about how much easier things were with an O/U then, I may have bettered my 46 ex 50 score  !   I still insist on using my current S x S 12 bore for game shooting (which I bought in 1979) and 1 ozs. of 5's or 6's  depending on the shoot. I prefer the S x S for many reasons as a game gun, easier and quicker to load, instant choke choice, (via triggers) carries better on the arm, Oh, and of course 'the biggie', it is far harder to shoot  ( :angel: )  I try to avoid shooting 'driven' ducks whenever possible, but, if I am left with no alternative (rather than offend), I will use 28 grams of steel in my Beretta 20 bore O/U  (just to make things easier). I am now the wrong side of 70, have suffered 2 minor strokes, a shoulder operation (that failed) and 2 left eye operations. I still shoot clays on  a regular basis, using an O/U, but being so easy, it is now only for enjoyment.  I try to average 3 game days per season, using my S x S. I restrict it to 3 days as it is so difficult using my preferred gun instead of my 'Sporter'. Mind you, difficult as it is, I still manage slightly better than 2 for 1. Oh, and yes I wear a shirt and tie and tweeds, but more for comfort than anything else. I personally could NOT give a toss as to what my other guns are using, including a semi auto, as long as they are SAFE and shoot in a sporting manner. I put more emphasis on ensuring everything possible is done to avoid leaving any wounded birds and that we ALL have a memorable and enjoyable day. 

Sorry but I'm just not buying into the SXS UO debate. I've shot pheasant & partridge over many years on some fabulous shoots and always shot OU, as have the majority of guns. I think we will never meet on this subject. Jeeze, I thought extended chokes 'might' be contentious, but barrel form!! Sheesh!!

I guess it's the same as people don't turn up to play a round of golf at a club in ripped jeans and a t shirt?!

like others have said, it's "the done thing", tradition, and respectful too. 

Back