Extended chokes for game

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHAWY

Just a quick question. Who would, or does use extended chokes when shooting pheasant, partridge & duck. I recently bought a Beretta 692 with the colour coded extended HP Optima chokes. A 'friend' of mine said "don't dare come on the next (pheasant) shoot with those poking out of the end". I've never even considered that anyone would take umbrage at something so trivial. 

Thoughts please. 

I once shot game using a K80 Supersport. I find it ironic about gun snobbery at a game shoot, as you wander off to peg with gun in slip and stand far enough from everybody that they likely won't see your gun?

Just a quick question. Who would, or does use extended chokes when shooting pheasant, partridge & duck. I recently bought a Beretta 692 with the colour coded extended HP Optima chokes. A 'friend' of mine said "don't dare come on the next (pheasant) shoot with those poking out of the end". I've never even considered that anyone would take umbrage at something so trivial. 

Thoughts please. 
Ask him whether he'll be arriving at the shoot on horse and cart, :rolleyes:  bet he thinks nothing of getting there in the latest Audi watchmacallit.  :huh:  And I could almost guarantee he'd have been texting on his iphone right up to the second he steps out of the car. 

That said it's sometimes easier to go with the flow, maybe borrow or buy some flush ones so it won't ruin their precious day. 

It doesn't really matter does it? But its a bit like turning up at a driven day without wearing a tie.

I agree folks and I am still chuckling at Hamster's horse & cart comment. I don't mind dressing accordingly but I honestly never gave a second thought to my 'unsightly' chokes!!  Maybe I'll invest in flush ones to keep everyone happy!!

If I take my clay gun, I use extended chokes on game shoots and the only person who has ever mentioned it is my mate, in jest. So a quick retort about his replica side by side (Spanish) shuts him up...

I think its wrong for a formal day but I am a traditionalist. Having said that who would know ?

No one cares as you stand on your own on the peg and the gun is slipped when you are in company. 

I shot extended on mt CGs with out a comment from other guns. 

Are people really that uptight?  :lol:

Break the mould and shoot with what you want and know you can hit stuff with and dress in what's comfy...  ;)

Thanks for your views chaps. Much appreciated. 

Cheers 

Are people really that uptight?  :lol:

Break the mould and shoot with what you want and know you can hit stuff with and dress in what's comfy...  ;)
Unfortunately Gothicsera some are very uptight. But strangely enough, even as a game shooter I would never have considered it mattered what chokes folk were using. It clearly does hence the comment that was made to me. I've only just got the clay bug so I invested in a suitable Beretta 692 and never looked at what was peeping out of the end of the tubes!!

Unfortunately Gothicsera some are very uptight. But strangely enough, even as a game shooter I would never have considered it mattered what chokes folk were using. It clearly does hence the comment that was made to me. I've only just got the clay bug so I invested in a suitable Beretta 692 and never looked at what was peeping out of the end of the tubes!!
My point was it doesn't (or shouldn't) matter at all.

Tradition? Pah!  :lol:

I'm with you on this Gothicsera that something as trivial as chokes should NOT matter, but I feel they may to some. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you on this Gothicsera. 
Absolutely :)

I'm about the least traditional shooter you'll find...  :lol:  although game isn't really my thing I wouldn't say no if I was asked to a pheasant shoot or similar as I do like a bit of pheasant for the pot. In that case the chokes in my gun would be the least of the worries.  :lol:

one has to uphold tradition otherwise we will have folk shooting game with autos, football shirts and denim.

Thanks ips and schmokkin.  I agree about standards and the need to be respectful to the shoot, the hosts, guests, keepers & beaters.  I always dress accordingly and wouldn't expect to do otherwise.  My concern was that something as trivial as an extended choke would be frowned upon.  I have shot game for many years and wouldn't have thought twice about chokes, but I am quite a newbie to clays.  I have bought a decent sporting gun and was thinking of giving it an 'airing' on a pheasant shoot, but if the chokes are hugely out-of-place, I would happily screw in a pair of flush-fitting.  I'm not in the business of upsetting folk and would rather spend £90 than do something that doesn't fit in.

Latest posts

Back