Energy drinks how many how often?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't drink enough during shoots or otherwise - water.  I am going to try and do better generally.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that GD has got his chemistry set out and come up with the recipe but has endorsed it (financial gain) and has suggested that it is helpful for shooters, which I would argue it isn't... Each to their own and all that, mind.
True but then I'm sure he knows we know he doesn't shoot White Golds or a Perazzi because he believes it gives him an edge, who was it who said you can shoot anything if the price is right.  :)

There's a market for most things and I for one wouldn't moan about being associated with something just because it paid well.

When I was racing motocross  I just drank water and eat a banana between races, do the same for shooting. Tried the energy drinks for a bit but I preferred water. 

True but then I'm sure he knows we know he doesn't shoot White Golds or a Perazzi because he believes it gives him an edge, who was it who said you can shoot anything if the price is right.  :)

There's a market for most things and I for one wouldn't moan about being associated with something just because it paid well.
really? personally, I would do a bit of research and see what I am endorsing first..... However, it is unlikely I will be put in that position.

We get many days in the summer when the temps are 35+C but we also get days when it is like shooting in the UK at 25C. I adopt the same drinks for every day shooting even in the winter and only drink good old tap water... I can get through 4L on a summer day, winter normally 1.5L . You do not have to be in hot conditions to need to drink to rehydrate yourself.

oh, do you have clinical research to rubbish these claims that 'energy drinks' are safe then and do not cause any medical issues?..... Feel free to publish.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that GD has got his chemistry set out and come up with the recipe but has endorsed it (financial gain) and has suggested that it is helpful for shooters, which I would argue it isn't... Each to their own and all that, mind.
no I have no research

Avoid at all costs unless its something like Shooter Fuel which is tailored to the job at hand.... However you do have to go quite a way to buy it... .  Caffiene and lots of sugar etc are the last things you need...

If shooting in hot weather in the UK (so very rarely....)  I tend to use Lucozade Sport lite... as its more about rehydration than anything else...
How is Shooter fuel tailored to the job at hand?   :)

For me,as a trap shooter.....coffee and fags......after a curry and a skin full of beer the night before......may not hit many  don't care either!  :lol:

les

imagine how good we would be if we gave up the smokes, became tee total and ate healthy

stuff that

imagine how good we would be if we gave up the smokes, became tee total and ate healthy
Well me old mate, I did think about that once...............only once............never thought about it since!  :lol:

les

stuff that
Be such a shock to your systems that it would probably kill you.  Best just be yourselves.

I really don't have any use for the so-called energy drinks but I hit the sports drink stuff all the time.  The only problem with them is that they are all, all that I've seen anyway 'cept for some way pricey kind, hypertonic and as a consequence reduce the absorption of the water that the body needs.  Easy to tell if they fall into that set if the label shows 20+gm of sugar in a +/- one liter bottle.  Simple to deal with by cutting the contents by 1/2 and doubling the volume with just water.  

Since it gets well into the sweat range where I live/shoot/etc the sports drinks are a regular part of my life.  But like was mentioned several times, they are not food.

RedBull and vodka does sound pretty good tho hahaha 

Energy drinks will make one a very fidgety, flinchy disaster behind a trigger.  It's all about balance.

Avoid at all costs unless its something like Shooter Fuel which is tailored to the job at hand.... However you do have to go quite a way to buy it... .  Caffiene and lots of sugar etc are the last things you need...

If shooting in hot weather in the UK (so very rarely....)  I tend to use Lucozade Sport lite... as its more about rehydration than anything else...
Have you read the nutritional breakdown of shooter fuel? It's only form of fuel is sugar! Sucrose = table sugar.

Herein lies my problem with these drinks. There is one ingredient in shooter fuel,that could possibly be of some benefit. Unfortunately it's effects are cumulative and dose dependent,meaning you need to take it regularly and enough of it to get its benefit. Also it begins to degrade once dissolved from powder form. 

Myself and Henry Hopking have been discussing our thoughts on a nutritional supplement for shooting for a few months now. We have come up with something that has zero nutritional value,being a blend of different amino acids,at the correct dosage to be effective. It's still in its infancy,and to be tested over time,but the problem I see with it,is its not a simple case of open a bottle and drink,and also cost,as the doses need to large enough to be of any worth.

Dosages would be dependent on body weight,male or female,and the individuals commitment to be strict enough to measure their dosage out daily,or possibly twice daily,add it to a drink and consume instantly to avoid the contents degrading. 

Its a supplement based on increasing cognitive function and muscular stamina using solely,amino acids.

Nothing may ever come of it,it needs to be trialled,and costed first. So I'll say no more on the subject for now.

Energy drinks will make one a very fidgety, flinchy disaster behind a trigger.  It's all about balance.
I've had them for work and Uni, and they make you fidgety and flinchy.  They don't help with my shooting either, having the same effect.  Cans of Monster are full of caffeine and that makes me jumpy!  Sugar rushes with chocolate bars don't cut the mustard either.  I have a bottle of flavoured water and a cereal bar and a Banana.  Slow release stuff that the body can deal with helps me.

I prefer slow release of a full English and a mug of Yorkshire tea ?

IMHO, at the moment there is currently nothing pre-packaged on the market which will benefit you as a shooter.  Just because it is marketed as drink to help shooters and endorsed by high profile shooters doesn't mean it actually makes a measurable or noticeable difference.  Look at the ingredients and quantities of these ingredients. Just because it says it has B-Vitamins or some rare seaweed from Asia - how much does it have? The amounts are usually so low that you should get that from a normal diet (maybe not the rare seaweed).  The % of RDA shown on packaging is for your body to survive. So something which provides 50% RDA is hardly going to increase your performance!

I've been contacted by numerous pill and drink manufacturers to endorse their products but have yet to see one readily available which is really good.  For some I have provided suggestions to modify their formula, but they have not done this.  They are more interested in the amount you purchase than the amount of targets you hit. Tea / coffee has a place, depending on your tolerance.  Even if that is just to warm you up before you shoot.  But there is a place for a high quality mix which will make a noticeable difference.

Most shooters are dehydrated to an extent, so correct hydration with water the day before and the morning of a shoot is currently your best option in drinks.  Or make up your own mix.  For example today I have taken 300mg of Choline before having a focused desk day. I am onto my 2nd litre of Anglia Water's finest. I also could have had three large eggs for breakfast instead, but I had eggs yesterday ;)

As Wayne mentioned above, we are discussing what would really help shooters, with his knowledge in performance nutrition and mine on the brain.  It might not be pink and tasty, but it would be better than a load of sugar, caffeine and low dose B vitamins.

trouble is if you hydrate to much before or during a shoot you need regular relief which can be distracting when your on a trap layout with ten to go. Or presumably quite a way from toilets on a esp shoot. This may not be an issue for young folk but can be for older folk and or those on certain medications which are diuretic.

trouble is if you hydrate to much before or during a shoot you need regular relief which can be distracting when your on a trap layout with ten to go. Or presumably quite a way from toilets on a esp shoot. This may not be an issue for young folk but can be for older folk and or those on certain medications which are diuretic.
What you need is one of these and a pipe down yourtrouser leg.......

http://www.dirdirect.com/Wide-Band-Catheter.html

We used them everyday whilst diving, still usually ended up peeing in drysuit, as the hose kinked or blew off.....

Latest posts

Back