B725 Protrap 32" vs CG Invictus V 30"

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer7

Hello,

Just looking for any opinions to help me make up my mind......

I'm thinking of trading in my 32" 725 Protrap for a CG Invictus Ascent in 30", i've been offered a decent deal but i was just wishing the CG was 32"! (Both used for mainly sporting but with a little DTL when the club has it.)

Has anyone gone back to 30" from 32"? How did you find it?
Any input with the 30" barrels on the CG Invictus Ascent from anyone? Or the Invictus full stop. Many thanks!

Hello,

I'm thinking of trading in my 32" 725 Protrap for a CG Invictus Ascent in 30", i've been offered a decent deal but i was just wishing the CG was 32"! (Both used for mainly sporting but with a little DTL when the club has it.)

Any input with the 30" barrels on the CG Invictus Ascent from anyone? Or the Invictus full stop. Many thanks!
The CG is a far better gun than a 725, the handling on the CG is fantastically balanced well built and ultimately reliable. Having shot a summit impact for the last 7 years I would not change to anything else

Hello,

So Basically you have the itch for a new gun.
And there's nothing wrong in that , I do it a lot.
Funtionally the CG will give you nothing additional to the 725 other than a higher rib.

Unless your absolutely convinced you want a high rib and 30" barrels I would stick with what you have.
On Mid range volume production guns like these, there will always be more deals coming up, so no need to rush. It would be sods law that a 32" CG will come up as soon as you buy it.

Playing with balance weights you could probably get the 725 to handle the same as the 30" CG and it won't cost anything.

Last edited:
When I bought my invictus I tried barbarys demo which was a 30'', I bought a 32" ltd and have to say I didn't notice much difference in handling, mine is a standard flat rib by the way

Funtionally the CG will give you nothing additional to the 725 other than a higher rib.

Unless your absolutely convinced you want a high rib and 30" barrels I would stick with what you have.
On Mid range volume production guns like these, there will always be more deals coming up, so no need to rush. It would be sods law that a 32" CG will come up as soon as you buy it.

Playing with balance weights you could probably get the 725 to handle the same as the 30" CG and it won't cost anything.
Yes I think that sums it up, an itch for a new gun!
I've never shot a high rib, but I'm 6'3", slim and a reasonably long neck and was perhaps keen to try something with a bit of a monte carlo and a mid height rib, partly for comfort as i do get a bit of neck pain on occasion. Would the Ascent be a drastically different sight picture?
What I would worry about is changing to 30" barrels from the 32" ProTrap. Would I notice that?
The ProTrap is a hefty example at 9lbs 1oz without any balance weights. Sometimes I wonder if something a touch lighter might be nice. I do shoot the ProTrap reasonably well though. The CG in 30" I think is about 5oz less.

When I bought my invictus I tried barbarys demo which was a 30'', I bought a 32" ltd and have to say I didn't notice much difference in handling, mine is a standard flat rib by the way
Thanks for that, good to know. 👍

Deal wise, If I go for it, it's £1500 to change which seems like a reasonable deal I'd have thought considering it is an Ascent V. Anyone agree or am I nuts!

Can I suggest that maybe have a day out to a shooting ground that actually has the gun you are looking at. Make sure you can give it a thorough workout on the targets you intend to shoot. Then ask yourself is it worth the money required to change. Questions ONLY you can answer.

Can I suggest that maybe have a day out to a shooting ground that actually has the gun you are looking at. Make sure you can give it a thorough workout on the targets you intend to shoot. Then ask yourself is it worth the money required to change. Questions ONLY you can answer.
That shooting ground is an eight and a half hour drive from me so not going to happen I'm afraid.

Yes I think that sums it up, an itch for a new gun!
I've never shot a high rib, but I'm 6'3", slim and a reasonably long neck and was perhaps keen to try something with a bit of a monte carlo and a mid height rib, partly for comfort as i do get a bit of neck pain on occasion. Would the Ascent be a drastically different sight picture?
What I would worry about is changing to 30" barrels from the 32" ProTrap. Would I notice that?
The ProTrap is a hefty example at 9lbs 1oz without any balance weights. Sometimes I wonder if something a touch lighter might be nice. I do shoot the ProTrap reasonably well though. The CG in 30" I think is about 5oz less.

Thanks for that, good to know. 👍

Deal wise, If I go for it, it's £1500 to change which seems like a reasonable deal I'd have thought considering it is an Ascent V. Anyone agree or am I nuts!
I’m 6”4” and i have a. CG Summit Ascent, monte carlo with the high rib. It’s an absolute joy to shoot. Its a good lump but there is hardly any felt recoil. I’ve regularly shot a whole slab and my shoulder is fresh as a daisy at the end. The feeling in the hand, the comfort of the sight down the rib with my long neck is excellent. Since I have had this gun I couldnt ever consider not having the trap style high rib again. I recently tried an MK38 Trap to have as a scruffier gun as pigeon / rough shooing gun but when holding the 2 guns one after the other there was no comparison in “feel” of the CG was infinitely superior. The Invictus is obviously a bit posher, the Invictus III is a serious thing of beauty so I am tempted to take a step up the aesthetically pleasing ladder but the money I would have to put with my Summit to chop in for an Invictus really couldn’t equate in terms of value of extra gun i was getting. It’s wether you have the mens to take a form over function approach to I guess. So I would say don’t discount a Summit Ascent as an option, could leave you with many pennies in the pocket. As for 30” vs 32” i don’t think it really matters too much so long as the overall gun balances nicely in your hands, every shotgun needs otbe assessed on a case by case basis really.

I have been interested in the new Browning XT Pro but really need to see and hold one to see if its worth considering.

I'd say that (1) you really, really have to try before you buy. While a 725 PS would still be available if you end up wanting to change back, you will then have parted with a bunch of cash. (2) Other than scratching an itch, what issue do you think the CG would "cure" in terms of your shooting? If there is an issue that warrants a change then go for it, but test whether it works out first. If it's just cosmetics, then go for it, but in all likelihood your shooting will suffer for a while in adapting to the new gun, as they are different beasts. I'd suggest you do plan the trip, make an outing of it and spend a few days shooting and weighing the purchase: If you decide against it you'll have had a nice (mini-)vacation, and if you decide to go for it you'll do so with more confidence and fond memories attached.

Make sure you like the handling. There is a lot of wood in the Ascent stock and they do tend to be stock heavy in the 30" version - you will see a lot of users with the barrel weights fitted. I imagine your Browning is probably the opposite and barrel heavy.

im 6.2 and shoot a 30 inch MK38 with an adjustable comb, i was pushed to buy a 32 at the point of sale but preferred the sight picture on the 30. Its a 9Ib gun, so i wanted to shed a little weight where i could. I like the compact nature of the 30 and will on occasion try a friends 32 on the odd bird. I cant tell a discernible different and i don't feel under gunned. I broke a 110 yard battue at Garlands the other week, so im happy with my decision.

I tried an Invictus 3 at coleys the other week in the ascent and flat model, I wasn't overly impressed. Ejectors were crap and didn't fling the cartridges, stock felt unnecessarily wide especially the comb segment. Didn't scream buy me nor did the Blaser F3 i tried. Save some cash and hold onto the Browning.

Thanks for the replies and insights everyone, it's all been very useful and given food for thought.

Make sure you like the handling. There is a lot of wood in the Ascent stock and they do tend to be stock heavy in the 30" version - you will see a lot of users with the barrel weights fitted. I imagine your Browning is probably the opposite and barrel heavy.
There is a lot of wood in the ProTrap too, it weighs 9lbs 1oz and yes slightly barrel heavy.
Save some cash and hold onto the Browning.
I might just do that!
Thanks all.

Interesting on wanting a lighter gun, I also have a 725 PS and do everything I can to add weight. Factory weight was 9lbs 0.5oz, I added a tungsten rod to the butt stock and got the weight up to 9lbs 9.8oz.

Interesting on wanting a lighter gun, I also have a 725 PS and do everything I can to add weight. Factory weight was 9lbs 0.5oz, I added a tungsten rod to the butt stock and got the weight up to 9lbs 9.8oz.
Combining a day's shooting with working out your shoulders... and a proteine shake after shooting a slab :cool:

I initially fancied a 725 PS but after shooting with one I considered it far too heavy for my liking. I now shoot a DT11 black that is a solid pound lighter. I think that I initially liked heavier guns but slowly shifted in preference to lighter and more nimble as my 'control' got better.

I would say the CG Accent would give him a lower rib than the 725 Protrap

Latest posts

Back