Eleys Olympics

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stopped using Eley after their explosion at factory (1960's I think !). They were then getting them loaded in France, using Eley components. Either way they were C**P. Never used them since.
Whilst not an Eley fan myself, I would think that 50 years after first impressions is possibly long enough to give any brand a second go! :)

Good point clever.

Look Olympics are entry level like everything else sub 200 quid therefore the quality control cannot be as good as a plus 200 load. You get what you pay for and most of the time there are no problems and few club shooters would be able to tell the difference between entry and high end. In fact my friends and i consisting of some very good and experienced shooters have tried and compared many loads and some high end ones can have issues.

Few shooters would know where the components actually come from :wink: just saying

:laugh: and it ain't the UK....true story :laugh:

And as i read several cartridge threads like this.....i smile....because i know where the components come from :laugh:  

Well as you are in the F**********i team and in the know one might assume from the above that they are F**********i components especially as they are not from the UK.

In which case how can they possibly be anything but wonderful!

Can't spell F*********i without looking it up!   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Because nobody seems to sell them down here or I have never ever seen any on any shelves and so I have never tried them!

Eley make the best .22 rimfire cartridges for target shooting but they are a tad expensive and can be in short supply when the Chinese et al decide to buy up production before the Olympics.

Lets hope that doesn't change if they are now owned by someone in Spain according to Salopian!

The Eley who make .22 rimfire are a separate company to Eleyhawk who make the shotgun cartridges. Not sure of the history there - perhaps they were once the same company.

The thing is that if you buy bits from all over the world the skill is putting them all together. Maxam who own them ....have a great cartridge called Vinci in Spain.....it absolutely whallops anything you point it at.......but very difficult to get them at a reasonable price in the UK.

I do wish people would stop plugging other cartridges on threads about a specific cartridge.....but now Salop has made the remark I have to correct him.....by informing him that his was wrong when he published on here ....as to what I shoot...!!

In the form of how the Aldi commercial on TV is done.......

I do not shoot as standard Fiocchi F-Black ......I do not even shoot as standard Fiocchi F-Blu .......

......But I do like this one......Fiocchi Golden Trap.....and come to think of it ....i also like this one Fiocchi Electrocibles

:wink:
. I have shot those Vinci!! You are spot on they are as good as anything on the market.

Been having a look on the all new eley hawk website,and according to that the Olympics must have changed because they are now rated at a speed of 1328fps/405mps,down from 1400fps,making them their slowest cartridge,as their firsts are now faster??

Took a load of VIP 8's as payment of a debt. Tried a few and they break anything at any range if you're in the right place. They bump a bit though - certainly more than the Clever stuff I usually use.

Been having a look on the all new eley hawk website,and according to that the Olympics must have changed because they are now rated at a speed of 1328fps/405mps,down from 1400fps,making them their slowest cartridge,as their firsts are now faster??
got about 6000 kent volicty going at £150 a 1000 lord tipper if ya interested. 1400 ftps.

Not worried about the speed Mark, just noted that if their website is correct then they have changed something.

The olympics are just fine throught the mircuckoo now i'm getting used to it,putting in some of my best scores now with this combination.

That's roughly about a 5% change ( 70 / 1400 ) ballpark - you can work it out if you have the right numbers.

Its not a lot of change is it?

Just saying Jem, as the OP was about any problems with them,and it would appear that they have changed something.

Probably need to adjust your lead a gnats tadge. :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
I took your advice, gave them another go after 50 years..........................................NOPE they are still C**P

I just do not know what is going on at Eley at the moment.

This past week I have had a lot of issues with Olympics, Primers that appear to have been struck, Primers with caps missing, bulged wads in the cases not allowing cartridge into chamber, holes in crimp allowing shot to leak out, boxes sealed at top but not at bottom, take a box of 25 out of a slab and deposit cartridges onto floor. Mentioned it to my retailer who said he is having massive problems with Eley Firsts , has contacted Eley but they don't seem too bothered. I am currently collecting all my duff ones and will be taking them back to Eley.

I pay £168 per thousand but currently with the failures it will be equating to about about £210 per thousand that actually work.
My wife and I have been Eley sponsored shooters since 2006 and have suffered all the above problems but with Superbs. I wrote to the MD in November to tell him that we wouldn't be applying for sponsorship for 2014. Now happily shooting Fiocchi.

My wife and I have been Eley sponsored shooters since 2006 and have suffered all the above problems but with Superbs. I wrote to the MD in November to tell him that we wouldn't be applying for sponsorship for 2014. Now happily shooting Fiocchi.
Did you get a reponse?

I've used Superbs for at least 10 years and shot a fair few VIP's and thousands of Olympics too, in all that time I have had half a dozen FTF's due to hard primers and that was out of what seemed a slab if not a box. 

Latest posts

Back