Eleys Olympics

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheap ish cartridges will over time suffer from consistency issues that is why more expensive ones do not as more time is spent on quality control.

Olympic 28g 7.5's are my cart of choice.  Other than a couple thou of various when I couldn't get hold of the Olympics, they are all I've shot.  I've been through approximately 30k over the last couple years and I've never had ONE problem that could be put down to the cartridge.  I've had a few trigger pulling issues, but that's down to me.  Gun malfunctions, and missing loads of bloody targets, and I wish I could say it was the cart, but it ain't!

Happy New Year to everyone.

I've heard from my retailer that Eley are difficult to deal with these days. Maybe if there has been a change of management then that could have something to do with these recent quality control and communication issues!

As mentioned I've never had a problem with Olympics but if they can't be relied on then that is a major issue. If you are competition shooting you want full confidence in your cartridge.

The thing one must realise is (and I mean this with the greatest respect) imo only very experienced shooters are able to tell any real difference between one cartridge and another therefore just because an inexperienced shooter feels that a budget load is no different to a quality load does not mean the quality load is not worth the extra money. Having said that i draw the line at 200 per k unless i am shooting a major or a selection.

No real point as such, just saying.

I think even an inexperienced shooter can tell the difference between a cartridge which kicks like a mule, and one which is more palatable.  There are some cartridges I avoid like the plague as I get a bruised shoulder after 50 shots - while I can go on for 200 with other cartidges without feeling a thing.

I agree a lot of budget loads have more recoil and arnt as fancy but there is not a target that does not smash close of far with a sub £170 cartridge.

Last lot I got were Gamebore Velocity (Fibre) for 160/k - and I find the recoil to be quite acceptable.  I will never shoot Lyvale Express though - they kick like a mule.

There is more to how a cartridge feels and shoots than just recoil. If we were to base a good cartridge purely from perceived recoil we would all be shooting 21g.

As an aside i wonder if the quality and consistency of loads is more of an issue for trap rather than sporting, given that sporting has many more variants of target distance and angle whereas trap is more repetition of similar.

Last lot I got were Gamebore Velocity (Fibre) for 160/k - and I find the recoil to be quite acceptable.  I will never shoot Lyvale Express though - they kick like a mule.
I use the Velocity plastic version, they are super shells. I get them for 154/k. They smash everything!

This is a thread about Eley Olympics !

Next thing you know Nicola will be along with her FBlack 

Eley appear to have lost the plot ! Or maybe they have actually got the plot working very well for them. They have a fabulous historic site at Witton Birmingham which they sell off for development at possibly multi-millions of £'s, move to a a new 'development ' at Kingsbury, sell out to a Spanish company who install a Spanish manager, he shoots Caledonian Cartridges a subsiduary company (obviously Eley are not good enough for him) they then don't reply to emails about poor product quality, ( a friend sells 750,000 Eley Firsts per year and has complained, but is yet to receive a reply).So is the Spanish plan to ruin Eley and then close down and move all manufacturing to Spain?

Meanwhile I am collecting my Olympic rejects and will be letting Eley have them back.

Que???

post-316-0-57475200-1388828549.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 0
They're from Barcelona then are they?? :nyam: :haha:

When Graham Morris was at Eley they were very good and always resolved customer complaints fairly. We all know where Graham is now don't we?

Don't ask if you don't know as we don't want another thread going off topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a thread about Eley Olympics !

Next thing you know Nicola will be along with her FBlack 

Eley appear to have lost the plot ! Or maybe they have actually got the plot working very well for them. They have a fabulous historic site at Witton Birmingham which they sell off for development at possibly multi-millions of £'s, move to a a new 'development ' at Kingsbury, sell out to a Spanish company who install a Spanish manager, he shoots Caledonian Cartridges a subsiduary company (obviously Eley are not good enough for him) they then don't reply to emails about poor product quality, ( a friend sells 750,000 Eley Firsts per year and has complained, but is yet to receive a reply).So is the Spanish plan to ruin Eley and then close down and move all manufacturing to Spain?

Meanwhile I am collecting my Olympic rejects and will be letting Eley have them back.
The thing is that if you buy bits from all over the world the skill is putting them all together. Maxam who own them ....have a great cartridge called Vinci in Spain.....it absolutely whallops anything you point it at.......but very difficult to get them at a reasonable price in the UK.

I do wish people would stop plugging other cartridges on threads about a specific cartridge.....but now Salop has made the remark I have to correct him.....by informing him that his was wrong when he published on here ....as to what I shoot...!!

In the form of how the Aldi commercial on TV is done.......

I do not shoot as standard Fiocchi F-Black ......I do not even shoot as standard Fiocchi F-Blu .......

......But I do like this one......Fiocchi Golden Trap.....and come to think of it ....i also like this one Fiocchi Electrocibles

:wink:

I have just switched back to Eley Olympics 28 Gr 7.5's after my gun started to have difficulties in shooting another make of cartridge.

I gave up after having none fire after none fire..

I have fired about 5k of Eleys over the last 6 months and didn't have any issues at all.

I only tried the other manufacturer as a group of guys buy them on mass and cheaper than Eley's.

The thing is that if you buy bits from all over the world the skill is putting them all together. Maxam who own them ....have a great cartridge called Vinci in Spain.....it absolutely whallops anything you point it at.......but very difficult to get them at a reasonable price in the UK.

I do wish people would stop plugging other cartridges on threads about a specific cartridge.....but now Salop has made the remark I have to correct him.....by informing him that his was wrong when he published on here ....as to what I shoot...!!

In the form of how the Aldi commercial on TV is done.......

I do not shoot as standard Fiocchi F-Black ......I do not even shoot as standard Fiocchi F-Blu .......

......But I do like this one......Fiocchi Golden Trap.....and come to think of it ....i also like this one Fiocchi Electrocibles

:wink:
.....  :)  ha

Last edited by a moderator:
Well all the gunshops around Essex way no longer stock the "F" word cartridge brand following a couple of months of returns with various faults across the entire range. No shortage of Olympics tho !

had some issues with the mrs 's eley firsts last year . sent them back to eley .  i was using olympics at the time and had shot about 5000 of them with no probs at all.  have now changed to gamebore evo's following good reviews on here and my dealers reluctance to now stock eleys following countless probs.

jasper.

Stopped using Eley after their explosion at factory (1960's I think !). They were then getting them loaded in France, using Eley components. Either way they were C**P. Never used them since.

Back