Ejector lube..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing to remember is that all moving joints require lubrication.

Oil is good because it is thin and gets into all the tight spots , grease is good because it stays on the applied surface , but grease tends to attract grit and grime and can make a grinding paste if not careful, so if you use grease anywhere , clean the part and renew grease regularly . Ejectors operate fine with a film of oil between all rubbing surfaces.

Fully synthetic thin motor oil! Works for me, not effected by heat and is a bit sticky stays in place throughout the shoot.

Oil on Ejectors. (Only a very small amount will do the job)

Grease on knuckles and hinge pin only. Always wipe off grease and replace after each days shoot.  

I load the ejector spring cavities with grease since the plungers effectively seal them and I don't pull the ejectors that often.  I use a teflon loaded lube for everything else in the action.  The guns I have do not evidence any discernible wear over the years that I have taken care of them so I suspect that what I'm doing is OK.

YMMV of course

I've been using grease on my ejectors after cleaning. I might have to re look this now.

while we are talking lube  for choke tubes I recommend copperslip  I can guarantee that even if you leave the chokes in place for a number of years you will still be able to unscrew them, the stuff is amazing

dan

thin oil on everything then wipe clean after every shoot and re apply. Oil on wipe off....ooh yes

Make sure you store it barrels down then or the oil will run into the stock and ruin it.
if there is a danger of this you have put too much on. I have never stored barrell down and never had a problem

Think the barrels down thing used to be with older guns where owners would cover everything in oil to protect from rust. Little point in putting oil down platted barrels of a modern gun.  Oil on ejectors for me.

True but the steel is a lot more rust resistant and modern ammunition is less aggressive corrosion wise. Any gun would have to very over oiled if it has to be turned barrel down to allow excess oil to drip out of the barrels. We've a couple of old s/s (118 and 70 yrs old) and the lightest coat of oil is just effective as a thick layer. 

grease on moving parts is a bit of a double edged sword,it lubricates better than oil at times but can dry out and go hard ,it may not move into small tight areas where lube is wanted and there is always the problem that any dust or grit that gets onto grease will stick to it and could form a grinding compound that will wear away the surfaces , having said that I always grease any areas that are not open to the air permanently and oil those that are ,as for barrels if they aint chromed or made of stainless then they will rust if not protected by a thin coat of oil or grease .,too  much oil in a barrel   may cause problems when the gun is fired with a build up of pressure due to the oil igniting with the charge.. if a gun is to be put away for a long period then well oiled is better than dry. don't forget the outside ,any blued areas need a light coat to stop surface rust forming from damp hand prints.. I always put some oil into the barrels then wool mop them to remove access and leave a fine smear which can be seen if you look down the barrel efor and after the oil treatment. of ourse all theoil is no good if the barrells arnt clean before it is applied . don't forget chokes out and clean then lubed.

that's my take on gun lube  not let me down for the last 53 years

I like a lot of lube but prefer oil based and preferably none toxic......oh hang on, wrong forum

Latest posts

Back