Choke Grease

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is worth noting that the threads used on chokes (mine at least) are not a standard 60 degree thread form. It might stay tight if it were. The screw threads on my 692 and my old Silver pig are square or squarish, like an Acme thread used on a lathe leadscrew. I'm sure that there are very good reasons for this, added strength possibly?

I'd venture that is to make them (1) less likely to be damaged and (2) less likely to seize up. The less of an angle, the less material moves if they take a bump of some kind.

I’m considering using PTFE gas tape and Boss White pipe jointing compound .

You are j/k right?

Personally loose chokes haven't ever been an issue on any of my (three) Beretta's and I cannot imagine using PTFE tape on chokes. Both the old mobilchokes and the new OCHP seem way too tight for any tape between the threads. I'd worry that would not stay in the right places and cause undue stress where it would end up. Also, will the chokes screw all the way down with tape on them? Maybe I am missing the joke, but to me tape and jointing compound is akin to using an M10 bolt to put up your kids schoolfoto. I bet both will hold securely though :D

Yes I am joking :p:p . Just comparing the Miroku / Browning Invector plus chokes to industrial pipe fittings . Next to my Teague converted guns with their long thin wall chokes they look like something made in first year metal work at school . Just bought an MK11 game gun , and out of choice I would have liked it to have been fixed choke to avoid the flare at the end of the barrels where the female thread is . Steel shot proofing has seen the end of guns leaving the factory at 1/4 and 3/4 fixed .

I clean my gun after every shoot and remove the chokes, clean the threads with some kitchen roll and put a couple of drops of gun oil on the threads before replacing them. It's worked fine for me for the last 20+ years.

What is "kitchen roll"? Paper towels?

I use either ceramic paste grease or Schmierfix grease, whichever I pick up first. Never had a problem with these even leaving chokes in for thousands of rounds. Only get cleaned if gun got soaked or I can feel any grittiness when checking them. I do wipe a thin coating on the inside of the barrels below the threads to protect the bare metal too.

Back