Oil v grease

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieTrapper

I am sure this has been discussed before but as a newcomer any advice is welcome, everyone on YouTube has a different opinion. What is the ‘best’ barrel cleaner, I was told to use Phillips, I have also read that any oil, including Castrol, Ballistol and Vaseline with 3in1 mixed in are adequate, any suggestions on grease? Finally do members use a full gun spray on the exterior like Legia or ProFerrum on wood and metal? Where do you apply grease and where oil, eg on ejectors and hinge pins? I realise it is a subjective subject but would welcome any experience.

There is no rubbing area experiencing high pressure on a shotgun, so it’s just about lubrication and cleanliness. So you really don’t need anything exotic. The important thing is to clean the gun and change the oil or grease every few hundred shots, or more if you can be bothered. Grease that has trapped dirt is harmful eventually. I’ve never oiled the exterior of metal parts, I just wipe them clean. (But I should clarify that I’m not exposing the gun to any hostile conditions). Every area that rubs gets a smear of oil. I prefer the feel of very little grease applied to hinge pins and whatever locks the gun up. (The conical rods on a Beretta or the long tab on a Browning etc). Smear some oil on the face of the action (where the firing pins are) to help protect it from staining. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oil and grease aren't interchangeable lubricants so oil is used in some situations and grease in others. I use grease on the knuckle between the action body and the forend as well as the hinge stubs, locking bolt contact area and the choke threads. An occasional drop of oil in the ejector grooves and, depending on the gun, a drop or 2 in the cocking rod slot is also a good idea. I have some very light machine oil, which I use after the annual internal action clean & checkover, applied with a cocktail stick to the various pivot points.

The old saying that Less is More really applies to shotgun lubrication. For greasing I buy a small tube of Schmierfix from Allan Rhone which lasts about 5 years and I still have a small blue bottle of Beretta gun oil that came with a new gun bought in 2011. Both have the advantage of a pointed nozzle which makes placement easy.

I have found out and been advised grease is essential for choke tubes oil drys out to fast

Another  Schmierfix user

Edit: And breakfree clp oil decanted into a needle dispenser so I don't get it everywhere 🙂

IMG_2224.JPG

@Lloyd Pattison has a couple of good cleaning videos on his YouTube channel. One is really in depth and involves a chap from the gun room at Bywell.

It's a really good watch.

I am sure this has been discussed before but as a newcomer any advice is welcome, everyone on YouTube has a different opinion.
You’re right, it has been done before. If you have a look through past topics you’ll find plenty of information.

Just as YouTube contributors have different opinions so do those that comment here. Your best bet is to try different oils and greases and see which you prefer. For what it’s worth, you’ll not go far wrong with Schmierfix. Alan Rhone sells it for a tenner a tube. There’s even videos on his website showing you where to apply it.

I have found out and been advised grease is essential for choke tubes oil drys out to fast
NOT if you use a gun oil like Lucas, which was designed for high temperatures.  After some 25 years of its use on the ejectors and chokes without a problem, I shall continue it's use. I only remove and clean the chokes after every 5 or 6 outings. Their 'Red tacky' grease is pretty good too at around £6 for a bloomin big tub  !

You’re right, it has been done before. If you have a look through past topics you’ll find plenty of information.

Just as YouTube contributors have different opinions so do those that comment here. Your best bet is to try different oils and greases and see which you prefer. For what it’s worth, you’ll not go far wrong with Schmierfix. Alan Rhone sells it for a tenner a tube. There’s even videos on his website showing you where to apply it.
And a quick web search and you'll get it for £6.55 delivered

Pro Ferrum is great for its intended use . Spraying on guns that have got wet . It’s too expensive to use liberally like Legia or Napier about four times the price by volume  . On a wet gun ( like mine yesterday stood on 5 drives in the rain ) it’s going to make sure that moisture isn’t trapped behind or under ribs etc . We treated the guns before they were slipped for the drive home . Today as a side benefit the bores will be a doddle to clean after being left over night with that product in them . 

Back