Dubai Tournament

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunc, I have never mentioned you or your son on any posts on here! I don't critisise young men (or girls) who put their backs into their shooting.

I am glad that he learned from the shoot in Dubai and that  it helped him at Weston Wood to shoot a 91!  A future G.B. shooter for sure (just stay away from girls)

I hope he gets all the sponsorship he needs for the future to help the cost of all his shooting expences! this is what destroys most young mens dreams,

Dunc, I have never mentioned you or your son on any posts on here! I don't critisise young men (or girls) who put their backs into their shooting.

I am glad that he learned from the shoot in Dubai and that  it helped him at Weston Wood to shoot a 91!  A future G.B. shooter for sure (just stay away from girls)

I hope he gets all the sponsorship he needs for the future to help the cost of all his shooting expences! this is what destroys most young mens dreams,
You can't argue with that! Cost is the killer.

......... what about the wannabe fitasc shooters from this site? If the targets are to a 170 ex 200 standard there

will be wannabees shooting 85 ex 200 and mass suicides from the 34 th floor of the hotels. :crazy:

Hi Cyril - i wasn't suggesting that you were getting personal :)   But, in your previous post, quoted above, you refer to the wannabes - and that could cover a lot of people. Unfairly I believe to many.  

I was then simply giving an example of a 'wannabe' that shot his first FITASC on the very morning that he was flying to Dubai, put his heart and soul into the spirit of the Dubai competition (and actually shot on the Sheikh's own ground at some stage) but didn't as you seemed to suggest take it badly as a wannabe when he 'only' scored around 108, but learned a lot from it and shot a personal best on a sporting layout the next day after he came home!  My reaction was to your use of the word 'wannabe'.

He's also looking at every website to find as many FITASC shoots as possible and get them into his diary - following the tremendous experience that he had in Dubai. :)   Not put off at all by the 'incredible' targets, but challenged by them and determined to use this experience to shoot bettter.

Our own SoR, (Steve), and his company ProShock were one of the first companies to sponsor him, also Gamebore, Musto and Macwets, and he's now been approached by a few more. 

Thanks to Steve and his colleague Peter Russell from ProShock! They actually got him ear plugs that fitted him after other people couldn't and were also very generous to him!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Dunc,  You explained things very well and thank you for doing so. Your lad shot 108 in Dubai?  I would say that was a brilliant score for a novice

fitasc shooter on the most crucifying fitasc targets he is probably ever going to see!   Some more experienced Fitasc shooters would have been intimidated

the targets and given up!   Keep him interested and I am certain in a few years everyone will know his name.

A disregard for FITASC rules of target setting is disgusting even if it was a great party! It is as bad as Konnepestie and Northbrook where we had a high platform 120 feet up,  at 60 M with a going away target! Laporte bios are notorious for not breaking! Ad distance and on edge targets with short windows, you get poo. I will go nest year not for the targets but for the party!

Henry

I know Henry, targets you can't shoot with a skeet choke- disgusting! Wait till I get home and construct an angry letter to Anne Robinson at points of view..! ;-)

This is exactly how Nazi Germany started.

Fortunately for all FITASC will not be involved next year.

I know Henry, targets you can't shoot with a skeet choke- disgusting! Wait till I get home and construct an angry letter to Anne Robinson at points of view..! ;-)
This is exactly how Nazi Germany started.
Fortunately for all FITASC will not be involved next year.
You forgot to add " Its elf and safety gorn mad, I tell ya "

"Thats when the fight started"

A few points...

1. 'Wannabees" is pretty insulting to the people who make up the majority of shooters, in this or any other competition. In Dubai, there were probably about 30 men and 7 or 8 women challenging for the win. Are the rest to be dismissed? Would "shootingguru" prefer they weren't there??? There were plenty of scores that appear pretty crappy in isolation but were from people who can genuinely shoot.

2. Targets that would have allowed Gebben Miles or George Digweed to add, say, 15 to their scores would likely have been worth an extra 30 to the middle rank. At that level, with a winning score around 180, it would still have been a tough shoot but would have allowed more of the field to leave the ground with a smile of satisfaction rather than relief!

3. While it's an exaggeration to say there was no topography, it was certainly very limited and the background colour was monotonous in the extreme. More greenery (potentially being added for next year) may make some of the targets more shootable, though the edge-on 80 yard birds still need an element of luck.

4. The shoot organisation was a triumph, as was the hospitality. Given the UAE's general attitude towards civilian, and particularly non-Emirati, gun ownership, the armoury worked well and airport hassles were less onerous than might have been expected.

5. There was a significant amount of physical exercise involved just walking through soft sand from stand to stand, which could have been aleviated with matting. Also, too few chairs at the eallying points on each layout! One elderly American lady collapsed through heat exhaustion while putting her gun away, and pulled out with only one layout remaining. I hope this aspect is dealt with for next year.

6. Overall, I give the event a qualified thumbs up. I would remove the qualification if the matting and seating issue was resolved, and if each layout had one stand (rather than 2 or 3) of extreme targets and a more balanced mix on the remaining stands.

I have no problem being called a 'wannabeee'....because i always want to win.....sadly though it is sometimes not the case :wink:

People are starting to a bit precious in shooting and on forums. Sticks and stones and all that.....

What do people on the up want to be referred to anyway...by the people at the top (for now - because everyone has a shelf life)?

And more importantly what are they called on the way down?

Many people talk of shooters 'bottling it' (which personally i hate) when they do not get the scores that others suspected they would.

So PC police...take a chill pill.....!

I can remember a very famous shot calling people on his squad 'also rans'....and a very famous Aussie who overheard...then he later introduced himself when he found he was on the same squad....... as 'Hello I am one of the also rans'. :wink:

This is just life peeps....get used to it. Can't stop them having joking references or handles for people (most Fitasc shooters are known by nick names) and it wont change anything in your own shooting....until you are a 'beeeee' :wink:

Signed

Always wannabee a wannabee :laugh:

The "Wannabees" that I was refering to was the ones from this site,  some were sporting shooters some had dabbled in fitasc once or twice, as soon as the prize money was announced  jumped in with both feet saying "I'm in for some of that!"  there was no other info available on the shoot at that time!

It appeared the way they were talking that it would be like taking candy from a kid?  If they could'ent win a Fitasc shoot in this country how did they imagine they were  going to win anything in Dubai? :fie:   

The "Wannabees" that I was refering to was the ones from this site,  some were sporting shooters some had dabbled in fitasc once or twice, as soon as the prize money was announced  jumped in with both feet saying "I'm in for some of that!"  there was no other info available on the shoot at that time!

It appeared the way they were talking that it would be like taking candy from a kid?  If they could'ent win a Fitasc shoot in this country how did they imagine they were  going to win anything in Dubai? :fie:   
Maybe you'd be man enough to tell us?

I think that it is best to just enjoy our shooting whether it is under the sun or in the rain....free or paid....it does not really matter so long as we all enjoy the sport.

(I prefer free if it is on offer though :wink: )

Chill pills needed all around and i think we will soon be getting some free milk ones from the bloke in the skirt. :wink:

I may go next year for the experience and a great holiday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said Chris.

P.s. Peeps for information....he is called Ahmad...!!

Ahmad Mohammad Hasher Al Maktoum. Even our newspapers get it wrong...
Yes Nic, they probably checked with Pete Wilson too like I did! until i rang up Gulf news!! ..... various deadlines means that in some mags he is Ahmed and some he is Ahmad.......

Back