DTL Bisley

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy S

Me and Hazel went down to Bisley Gun Club today to further investigate this Down the Line shooting. Any way the day diddn't start to well what with Hazel not feeling good and to further compund the issue something went Clunk on her car just before we turned into Bisley. Found the Bisley Gun Club pavilion, which is quite smart in appearance, with hot and cold food and drinks available, plenty of tables to sit at and even a pool table.

Went up to the booking in area and spoke to, it turned out to be Jane and introduced ourselves and explained that we had not been there before. Jane explained that there was a reg comp on or practice, however if you where shooting the comp you had to shoot this first. Hazel said she would just shoot the practice so we signed onto a squad of 5 with me on peg 1 and Hazel on peg 3.

Our squad was called as we were getting ready and over we went to layout, where by I explained to the ref that it was the first time of shooting DTL in a squad, who said by way of reply "you can pull the trigger can't you :smile: " On to peg 1 I went and the ref call peg 1 to call

for a target for the squad to se, which I did and then he called line ready, upon which I mounted the gun and called pull, bang first target dead. Peg 2 closed his gun and called pull and we were off for 5 targets on each peg, with the ref calling out 2 - for a seconed barrel kill or loss for a miss. After 5 targets the ref called unload and change and we moved down a peg. We had an slight interruptioin to the shooting as someones mobile rang, which is a big no-no in DTL and you can be docked points in acomp. At the end of this 25 I had a 22-60 score (22 kills a massing 60 points so a few second barrels there). Hazel shoot a 13-36, which wasn't bad considering she wasn't well and her car might have an expensive fault. After thanking the ref and brief talk with the fellow squad members it was back to the club house for tea.

We booked on for a 2nd round and whilst waiting John Skeet turned up as he was meeting a friend there, so we had a brief chat before heading out. This time a squad of 3 and I managed a 22-66 and Hazel again scored 13-36.

After shooting we had a good chat about all manor of shooting related things with, it turns out the club president, who invited us back in 2 weeks time, well he said Hazel could go but as I beat him, turns out he was in our squad and it was his phone which rang, he would reserve judgement on me. :)

I have to admit that I really enjoyed DTL and next time I will probably enter the 100 bird reg comp.

ps Turns out the front driver side spring is broken on Hazel's car so she will be on her bike to work next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good day. Dtl is not as easy as folk think it is Partictlarily when you consider that to win anything you need to shoot at least a class scores to win a b or c class and aa to win a class and a 297 + to stand a chance at aa level.

As someone that shoots DTL competition regularly I would urge you to get yourself up to a reasonable standard before entereing a competition. You really need to be shooting fairly consistent 65-70 point scores per line. Less than can be very distracting for others shooting alongside you.

Don't rush into it. Learn the technicalities of the discipline first so that you can hold your own in competiton when the time comes.

As someone that shoots DTL competition regularly I would urge you to get yourself up to a reasonable standard before entereing a competition. You really need to be shooting fairly consistent 65-70 point scores per line. Less than can be very distracting for others shooting alongside you.

Don't rush into it. Learn the technicalities of the discipline first so that you can hold your own in competiton when the time comes.
Sorry.....and i say this very politely 274368....but......bollocks is my answer to that.

Everyone pays their money and has the right to stand in a competition where they score a 0/300 or a 100/300.

You should not be concerned Andy or Hazel, if someone next to you is having a hard time because you might miss. That is their problem....and if they cannot handle it then they should go back to the drawing board. We all have to start somewhere and without any guilt for your own or anyone else's shooting.

I feel really strongly about this because that is how the 'elitist' words start going around.......and sadly this also brings back memories of people complaining about squeaking wheelchairs at the World UT in 2009 at Southern Counties...that i had to sort out.

I sorted it by first bollocking the primadonas who complained about the squeaks .....!!!!!

No no no no no......I am very adamant about this........shooting is for everybody and at all levels. You do not have to prove worth in order to enter any competition except the Olympics, or the ISSF World Cup events...... (mores the pity because they are a closed shop). Every other competition in the clay shooting World....you pays your money and you take your place whether you are an expert or a crap shooter.....it makes no odds.

Last edited:
Sorry.....and i say this very politely 274368....but......bollocks is my answer to that.

Everyone pays their money and has the right to stand in a competition where they score a 0/300 or a 100/300.

You should not be concerned Andy or Hazel, if someone next to you is having a hard time because you might miss. That is their problem....and if they cannot handle it then they should go back to the drawing board. We all have to start somewhere and without any guilt for your own or anyone else's shooting.

I feel really strongly about this because that is how the 'elitist' words start going around.......and sadly this also brings back memories of people complaining about squeaking wheelchairs at the World UT in 2009 at Southern Counties...that i had to sort out.

I sorted it by first bollocking the primadonas who complained about the squeaks .....!!!!!

No no no no no......I am very adamant about this........shooting is for everybody and at all levels. You do not have to prove worth in order to enter any competition except the Olympics, or the ISSF World Cup events...... (mores the pity because they are a closed shop). Every other competition in the clay shooting World....you pays your money and you take your place whether you are an expert or a crap shooter.....it makes no odds.
Here Here

Quite right Nic, thats the beauty of our sport, the chance to be squaded with one of the greats whatever our level :)

Surely shooters should be concentrating on their own game not what anybody else is shooting, or missing as maybe the case.

To be fare to 274 etc i do fully understand his point and he is quite correct it can be off putting but .., its just tough luck and you just have to get on with it

Couldn't agree more. The "your'e not good enough to shoot with me" attitude really winds me up and helps to put newcomers off our sport.

Can I clarify that I am not picking on 27..... and I can understand that some would think that it is off putting....but hey.....ya just got to get on with it....!

xx

Well my first few competitions will be the Saturday reg events down at Bisley, so that I can get into the swing of things, the Sat comps at Bisley are birds only anyway there is no prise money at stake, just the kudos of winning and I need to shoot 300 targets before I can get a classififcation.

So you will all be safe as I'm not entering the kreighoff as my first comp. Besides I have shoot one or two comps at different disiplines before..................

Dont worry about it you paid as much to enter as Mr dtl champion we all started somewere and remember most of us AA shooters shoot rubbish sometimes

Never mind the nerves of shooting on a squad of elite shooters, try reffing for them :huh:

Shot at Rugby yesterday with my lad (14) and when it came to our turn to score/ref the other guy literally ran for the abacus leaving me and Harry to ref and score!! Only second time we had shot there so loads of pressure to not make a cock up, especially with the missed bird buzzer. Thanks to the chap on peg three for explaining how the electronics works before we started.

Luckily no miss-fires to sort out on either round :huh: but quite a few no birds. No disputed calls either.

The pressure of shooting is nothing compared to the pressure of reffing, and I was also having to keep an eye on Harry's scoring as well(especially when there is money at stake). I guess the more often you do it the easier it becomes.

As for shooting comp read up on the etiquet so you know exactly how it works, pay your money and shoot away and sod everyone else.

DT

Hahaha DT..........I am with you there.....I have been GB team for last 8 years and I always run for the abacus :) :)

Never give me the buzzer (i press it when they shout pawuuuuuuulllllll some times....it does not go down well)......or the card (without glasses).........or in fact ......the abacus.....because I start analysing the shooters styles....thinking....'you do not want to shoot like that matey, you will not hit a barn door...'......and then I have drifted off, missed the next bird and put another on the same line.

I then spend the next 2 seconds saying #€¥$ until I put the board right.

Scoring for a perfect squad is sooooooo boring because you do not have any honks to keep you awake.

I hate scoring.....the grounds should have refs.

You pay your money, so if you poke holes in thin air, so what? Makes it easier for the elite anyway, so never worry about it, even the best will have a bad day at some point. If anyone gives you grief, tell them to //// off! ;)

The rules say that the most internationally experienced shooter of the 3 must take the buzzer every time :huh: . Concentrate as you would for your round and treat it as 150 practice targets. It could be worse - you might get a fitasc referee who knows all about Sporting.

Hahaha DT..........I am with you there.....I have been GB team for last 8 years and I always run for the abacus :) :)

Never give me the buzzer (i press it when they shout pawuuuuuuulllllll some times....it does not go down well)......or the card (without glasses).........or in fact ......the abacus.....because I start analysing the shooters styles....thinking....'you do not want to shoot like that matey, you will not hit a barn door...'......and then I have drifted off, missed the next bird and put another on the same line.

I then spend the next 2 seconds saying #€¥$ until I put the board right.

Scoring for a perfect squad is sooooooo boring because you do not have any honks to keep you awake.

I hate scoring.....the grounds should have refs.
Nic

You can analyse my technique anytime provided you pass on the thoughts. Need all the help I can get.

I found it quite difficult to maintain concentration while buttoning through out the whole round, started drifting off about 20 birds in and had to kick myself mentally to stay focussed. Bit like my shooting :)

40UP - "Most internationally experienced shooter should take the button" I guess that's why everyone runs for the abacus then?

I was bloody glad that I did not have to adjudicate on any mis-fires as the thought of grabbing someones gun and trying to prove it was a genuine mis-fire frightnened me to death. As a matter of interest what is the ruling if you have a second barrel mis-fire? This happened yesterday to another shooter on my squad and once the refferee (who should have known) agreed that it was a genuine mis-fire he said to the shooter that he could have the bird again but he must only hit it with the second barrel, which he failed to do as he hit with the first barrel and was declared a loss? Is this correct??

If so what is to stop the shooter simply discharging the first barrel as soon as he calls for the bird and then chases the clay in the normal way (effectively with the first barrel). Alternatively can you discharge the first barrel before you even call for the clay (although I guess this may activate the clay release).

Soz for the newbie questions.

DT

I always run from the button :D

I always struggle to not nod off ;)

as for the ruling ....see booklet 7

9.21.7 If the first shot is a miss and the competitor’s second shot misfires. In this case, the first shot

at the new target must miss the target and the competitor must attempt to hit the target with their second

shot only. If the target is hit with the first shot it is scored “LOST”.

You can fire this as quick as you like after calling pawwuuuuuuuuuuuuulllllll :cool:

In Helice it is one in the ground then one at the target.

Back