Disappearing content

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmokinn

ok, there was a thread i started ages ago which generated i will say varying responses it was then locked.

it ran to several pages and has now shrunk to one and many posts have been deleted some of which i can remember.

i don't seem to have the ability to completely delete posts.

surely if you post something you stand by it unless you were wrong in the first place,so are these people saying they were wrong to post?

i have seen people delete the text from there post by editing but not been able to make it mysteriously disappear?

1.how do you delete a complete post

2.why was the post be locked and then unlocked then locked again

3.how can anything be done if the post is locked,surely if it is locked it is locked for a reason and should stay that way.

do we have members of the Illuminati on here

Not sure about the illuminati - but I'll need more of a clue than 'a thread'

do we really have to go through this all over again?
​go through it all over again? what about disappearing content...why has that been done before?

you may note i tried to avoid mentioning the specific thread.

perhaps you would be happier with another choke thread.

For the love of god no more choke threads :wink:

Good that.  I see what you did there ;)

A post containing the M word disappeared last week. It asked the question can a C wear out. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A post containing the M word disappeared last week. It asked the question can a C wear out. 
​well it seems to be the usual on this forum if you ask an awkward question there is no answer,i asked a question and was immediately asked for more info.i immediately supplied more info and all goes quiet possibly it is taking time to find out although presumably some people have instant access to the information

maybe i should rephrase the question my presumption is that Matt is autonomous,but how many others have the ability to completely remove threads,delete posts and generally skew content for there own individual reasons/purposes?

or is it that certain people simply apply pressure to the OP to request there content removed (presuming that is an available option)?

we have disappearing threads and posts is that right?

i think people deserve to have a full understanding of how the system works,i know that there is more than just me that have an interest.

I've just been reading back through some of the posts and was reading a thread (page 5 of this forum, ref training at gunsite, 2nd page of thread) where people were quoting others but the original post wasn't in the thread anymore.

It's a sad day on a forum if people feel the need to delete posts or threads about a certain thing as it won't benefit them. 

Right then, lets get this cleared up.

Firstly - there is nothing 'usual' about this forum - I don't camp out here all the time waiting for questions. I have a day job, and a number of side projects that I work on, so if a question doesn't get answered - it is not because it is awkward, it is because I am busy.

Now - to missing content. There are two ways that threads or posts get removed.

1. By Moderators. There are a small team of people that have mod rights on this site,  some of them don't come around very often, others are more regular. Generally, I ask people to moderate the site with a light touch, only really removing nasty comments, duplicate posts or steering a thread back on course. Generally the mods will hide posts rather than delete them so we can resurrect something that should have lived on. Occasionally they move things - it is worth noting that some sub-forums are not visible to non-members, so it is sometimes good to have a contentious thread in there to stop the car crash rubber-neckers having a look.  We also move stuff around that is in the wrong place.  
    If you want to know who the moderators are - look at the  staff list under the 'more' drop down at the top of the page.
  2. By admins. There are two admins on this site, me and the guys that write the software. They don't care about shooting, and could care even less about you lot… so really, its me.  I have all the moderator rights, plus the ability to strike someone with lightning, inject them with ebola or approve their membership. I take my duties very seriously, and only log in to the site when my heroin is topped up, less my craving make me angry. Yes I am pretty autonomous here - but I'm also pretty decent and transparent about what I do.

Note - If a thread gets deleted - it actually goes to a special place that only daddy knows about. I do this to ensure that if someone slanders someone I have a backup of the thread to show a lawyer or the police. Yes - it has happened - I have time and massive profits to deal with solicitors and in one case a policeman.  So far, after four years, I have actually deleted 14 threads, which shows how tolerant I am.  I have deleted and hidden lots of posts with people being nasty to each other - some of you need to check yourselves before you wreck yourselves.

So - there is no conspiracy here - neither is this 'a sad day' on the forum.  I expect the missing content you are seeing is for one of three reasons.

1. A bug - the software has recently been upgraded and there have been a few bugs, but I don't think this belongs to that.
  2. A moderator - again, I don't think its that. In fact, I know it isn't because the system logs every moderator action and I can audit everything. None of the team have been running round deleting/hiding things or doing crazy moves , pins, locks or other wrestling moves.
  3. An admin - here is the most likely reason.  The one thing I can do, is remove a user - this is two stage process. Firstly I ban/close the account of the user, sometimes really quickly if they are an idiot/spammer - usually I leave a cooling off period but then close the account.  Then, if they have a lot of content, I ask the site software to remove the posts.  I hate doing this, because it takes a long time (imagine having to read 200k posts) and secondly it creates weird 'orphans' where someone who started a thread is removed, and the thread starts with the second post, or someone has quoted person X, but when X leaves - the quote remains but the original post doesn't - the whole thing looks a bit twilight zone and I try and avoid it. However, if someone chooses to leave the forum and they ask nicely, then I will do it… if you are a knob, then I won't. We have had two very prolific members leave for their own reasons, as part of that I have been asked to remove a lot of content.

Hope that helps a bit - by rights, I make very few comments on moderation or admin related questions for very good reason that I cannot be arsed, and don't have the time…  but there is no conspiracy, other than the smooth and efficient running of the forum platform.

Feel free to PM me, or leave a comment here if you think I am a twat.

A very well worded and succinct explanation sir.

I can confirm, from my perspective,  that you definitely are not a tw*t.

Now, what the bloody hell is happening with the Shootclay Cup?  ??

I can't see a problem with the word "twit"

"Firstly - there is nothing 'usual' about this forum - I don't camp out here all the time waiting for questions. I have a day job, and a number of side projects that I work on, so if a question doesn't get answered - it is not because it is awkward, it is because I am busy."

i never presumed you did but on the basis you almost immediately asked me which thread i thought you were there then,also i have never suggested that you were in any way anything but fair and honest.

i generally start off with an unbiased opinion of anyone and there actions depend on which direction that goes,so my opinion of you is pretty high for what you do with this sight.

in no way do i think you are a tw*t,but that doesn't apply to everyone.

so i guess you are saying a whole 5 pages of a thread was found unacceptable by someone on the list and the tread that disappeared the other day was found the same,obviously i do not know who and i am not asking.

as i said in the first place i presumed you were completely autonamous and i still do.

thanks for the insight,though much is as presumed.

Lightning is fine but please keep the Ebola.

Latest posts

Back