Dip in confidence and form?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I treated Sunday mornings shoot at our place like I was alone at west Kent practicing. I went through the routine, and didn't take any notice of the fluffy rabbits. I scored 41 ex 50 so I'm happy with that. It was not a difficult layout, but nice to have a confidence booster.

I'm with Ed on this one (again). :D Your all over thinking guys and you need a break for a couple of weeks. Get and do something else and forget shooting for a couple of weeks at least. Then see a good coach first time back. Then get out and kick ass. ;)
i quite agree i work offshore 2 weeks on 3 weeks off and always seem to shoot well the first time out after i have had my 2 weeks of detox offshore ;)

Don't YOU let those "Doubt Demons" win the battle between your ears". They are always ready so don't give them an opening. Instead try focusing on past successes, be assertive and work on controling them when they come a knocking...it takes time however time well spent.

Hey all,
I admit I don't normally read this section as I am into shooting purely for the fun of it. I've mentioned before that my dad and I run a small strawbaler for 20 odd blokes twice a month on our family farm. Recently however my shooting has gone to pot and its really getting me down. The last couple of months have felt like nothing but a waste of time and money. My average score for our 50 birder was usually around 40-44. That has dipped to the low twenties. At more professional shoots I have hit a 73 at West Kent, and a 68 at Southdown, so I am of that kind of standard.

Last year when I had a couple of lessons to help me kick on to the next level, and they sure did help. My scores improved consistently, and then WHAMMO, can't hit a bulls arse with a shovel. I just don't know where It's gone wrong. My shooting buddy says he can't see any difference in my shooting. I'm running through the same pre-shoot process etc.

I had my walk away moment this Sunday. 1st stand was a (usually) easy right to left crosser. i missed the first 9 birds and hit the last one by accident with my gun not properly mounted. i went and did clay loading and trapping for the rest of the morning.

I am going to west kent this week, just my buddy and I to try and get back on them with no pressure. Shoot what i want, start easy, go a little harder if its working out alright. Apart from that I dont know what to do. Lessons are really expensive. I would book one if i thought it would cure this blip. If it really fails at west kent then I'm going to do whats been suggested earlier in the thread and leave it for a bit.

I try not to over analyse things, but its tough when this happens.

Also, i can have access to a dryfire simulator if I wanted. What are peoples thoughts on this. Would firing at a small dot on the wall a couple of thousand times help?

Cheers

Ben
I've used a Dryfire in the past, they are interesting and a bit of fun but beyond correcting some basic POI or Master eye problems, they are just can't compete with real clay shooting situations.

Hey all,

I admit I don't normally read this section as I am into shooting purely for the fun of it. I've mentioned before that my dad and I run a small strawbaler for 20 odd blokes twice a month on our family farm. Recently however my shooting has gone to pot and its really getting me down. The last couple of months have felt like nothing but a waste of time and money. My average score for our 50 birder was usually around 40-44. That has dipped to the low twenties. At more professional shoots I have hit a 73 at West Kent, and a 68 at Southdown, so I am of that kind of standard.

Last year when I had a couple of lessons to help me kick on to the next level, and they sure did help. My scores improved consistently, and then WHAMMO, can't hit a bulls arse with a shovel. I just don't know where It's gone wrong. My shooting buddy says he can't see any difference in my shooting. I'm running through the same pre-shoot process etc.

I had my walk away moment this Sunday. 1st stand was a (usually) easy right to left crosser. i missed the first 9 birds and hit the last one by accident with my gun not properly mounted. i went and did clay loading and trapping for the rest of the morning.

I am going to west kent this week, just my buddy and I to try and get back on them with no pressure. Shoot what i want, start easy, go a little harder if its working out alright. Apart from that I dont know what to do. Lessons are really expensive. I would book one if i thought it would cure this blip. If it really fails at west kent then I'm going to do whats been suggested earlier in the thread and leave it for a bit.

I try not to over analyse things, but its tough when this happens.

Also, i can have access to a dryfire simulator if I wanted. What are peoples thoughts on this. Would firing at a small dot on the wall a couple of thousand times help?

Cheers

Ben
Having been involved with the DryFire system a reasonable amount and using it at our ground, it does have a benefit but it is not the same as shooting the real thing, however for the price it certainly helps in the winter months and aids both mental and technical skills. Used the correct way then very worthwhile.

Latest posts

Back