decent fibre wad?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seem to be a response to Eley having repackaged the Firsts but with an added bit of speed 1400 to 1410 which I can't see making that much difference? 

Clever Mirage do as good a fibre wad  cartridge as anyone, if not better. Good patterns, low recoil, hard hitting, clean burning and sensible price...

I guess it's another one of those "too many variables to be able to give a definitive answer" type questions. 

Eg, Will Hewland has pointedly damned Hull Superfasts, whereas I and others really rate them. Oddly, I tried his beloved Velocities and was not too keen. They are a good shell ie they do work, but I found them to be both punchy and very dirty. (Not trying to pick a fight with you Will, just making a point mate)

The confetti issue can of course be down to the relative humidity in which the carts are stored. Certainly I have noticed far less of this now the temperatures have climbed. And "punchy" is a very subjective issue. Patterning and suitability to your specific gun/chokes/needs ie cleanliness and costs are why I tested out a range of options. 

So, my take on this is you might be better off trying (at least) a few slabs of various carts through your own gun, and try to determine for yourself which best suits you. This is what I have done over the last couple of years. And based on my own personal preference (and experience - I've not tried them all) Hull Superfasts came out on top overall for me. (Caesar G Challenger, tend to shoot mostly open chokes, rarely go beyond half) 

Others I rather liked included the Gamebore Evos and Fiocchi F Black. I discounted the F Black based on the extra cost and relative availability, and the Evo's because I find the Superfasts are a tad cleaner and a few quid cheaper whilst being at least as effective on their principle purpose in life. 

A pal of mine was totally married to his Eley VIP's, swore blind he'd never use anything else, used them for years and years. A few months ago he ran out and had a slab of Superfasts from me. He now uses them all the time, saves around £60-70 a thousand and his scores have not altered........ if anything he's shooting slightly better. (Browning GTI Ultra  with extended Briley chokes)  

Thank Gawd for choice, as folk do have different perceptions and findings with their own guns. There is no substitute for trying a few different shells out for yourself. Its great when you feel you have it nailed and can just get on and shoot.

Nirvana!... It's so tempting to make a tasteless inappropriate joke! But seriously individual trial and error is probably the best way

Latest posts

Back