Come along and help a struggling ground...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Powell

Staff member
Lifted from the Lincolnshire CPSA Facebook page -

We've just been informed of a fund raising event at Normanton SG. Please come along lend your support to Mick and Jason as they struggle to keep the ground going...

A local club Normanton Shooting Ground at Earl Shilton are holding an important fund raising event on Saturday 20th February 2016.  The club has been established for years, it is a very friendly club with a great layout.  Unfortunately, the club is now at risk of closure due to a few local noise complaints. This fund raising event is to raise the necessary money for the club to obtain an independant noise level report to help fight the risk of closure. The club has already exhausted funds on legal fees and this independant report is necessary for the club to continue the fight for survival.

The fund raising event will be a choice of 50 bird sporting or 50 bird DTL for £20.00. If you re-enter for another 50 birds, it will be just  £15.00, so in total £35.00 for 100 birds.  The usual 100 bird registered DTL shoot will be also be on, so you have the choice of entering either.  Solware will be putting up three great prizes and each entry will be entered into a draw.  This will not be for the highest score, the winners will be drawn at random to give everyone a chance of winning.  The three prizes are 1) a new semi automaic shotgun. 2) 1000 12g cartridges and 3) a selection of shooting accessories, to the value of approximately £75.00.

There will also be raffle tickets on sale for various other shooting related prizes.  Everyone, please come along and support this great, friendly & long established club. Enjoy a days shooting at a fantastic ground, with the added bonus of not only the prizes on offer for the lucky winners, but offering the club some well deserved support.

Lifted from the Lincolnshire CPSA Facebook page -

We've just been informed of a fund raising event at Normanton SG. Please come along lend your support to Mick and Jason as they struggle to keep the ground going...

A local club Normanton Shooting Ground at Earl Shilton are holding an important fund raising event on Saturday 20th February 2016.  The club has been established for years, it is a very friendly club with a great layout.  Unfortunately, the club is now at risk of closure due to a few local noise complaints. This fund raising event is to raise the necessary money for the club to obtain an independant noise level report to help fight the risk of closure. The club has already exhausted funds on legal fees and this independant report is necessary for the club to continue the fight for survival.

The fund raising event will be a choice of 50 bird sporting or 50 bird DTL for £20.00. If you re-enter for another 50 birds, it will be just  £15.00, so in total £35.00 for 100 birds.  The usual 100 bird registered DTL shoot will be also be on, so you have the choice of entering either.  Solware will be putting up three great prizes and each entry will be entered into a draw.  This will not be for the highest score, the winners will be drawn at random to give everyone a chance of winning.  The three prizes are 1) a new semi automaic shotgun. 2) 1000 12g cartridges and 3) a selection of shooting accessories, to the value of approximately £75.00.

There will also be raffle tickets on sale for various other shooting related prizes.  Everyone, please come along and support this great, friendly & long established club. Enjoy a days shooting at a fantastic ground, with the added bonus of not only the prizes on offer for the lucky winners, but offering the club some well deserved support.
I have only ever been there once and spent the day with the hubby and daughter just shooting everything on offer.  Came away with a very good impression of the ground - such nice people and we were given half a dozen fresh eggs as well!  I don't think I can make it but I would like to contribute so how would I go about doing that?

Most of us on here are CPSA members.

Yesterday at the West Midland AGM we asked Nick Fellows if he would consider engaging the necessary experts to assist ALL grounds into fighting unreasonable complaints about noise pollution causing grounds to have to close.

Could I ask ALL competitors to ask their Regional Committees to assist Normanton / Thurlaston to set up a fighting fund and let us defend our grounds against further restrictions.

No Grounds = No Shooting.

Believe it or not it was revealed that the CPSA noise consultants of many years had proven to be less than efficient!

What we need is guide lines of actually how many decibels in what circumstances constitutes a nuisance.

If we build a ground adjacent to a motorway or busy railtrack , noise is less of an issue than if we have a ground in an idyllic country village.

Yesterday at the West Midland AGM we asked Nick Fellows if he would consider engaging the necessary experts to assist ALL grounds into fighting unreasonable complaints about noise pollution causing grounds to have to close.
What was his response? 

Matt , 

That is a leading question ! YOU KNOW the answer.

But things are looking good for the Rio Olympics we have three or four CPSA members representing us , so maybe they will need some moral support  :D :D

Matt , 

That is a leading question ! YOU KNOW the answer.

But things are looking good for the Rio Olympics we have three or four CPSA members representing us , so maybe they will need some moral support  :D :D
Sorry - I just though that maybe things had evolved to straight answers....

Good news for Rio then - is the shooting near Copacabana beach? 

Yes Pete, most of us are CPSA members, but I may not renew this year. One of my reasons is the fact that the CPSA do not appear to be hugely active in defending shooters or shooting grounds. As you so rightly say, no shooting grounds = no clay shooting. It seems as though they (CPSA) think they are there merely to make rules ,administer them and enforce them, but without any grounds the CPSA would in fact become non existent. 

playing devils advocate there are many benefits of cpsa membership apart from the correlation of scores and classification etc the insurance cover for example is excellent covers you for all forms of shooting and even beating.

just saying as we don't want to put people off joining otherwise no members=no cpsa=no grounds.

playing devils advocate there are many benefits of cpsa membership apart from the correlation of scores and classification etc the insurance cover for example is excellent covers you for all forms of shooting and even beating.

just saying as we don't want to put people off joining otherwise no members=no cpsa=no grounds.
Umm..yer little devil!!

I'll now have a go..

Surely it's no grounds=No Members= No CPSA.  Insurance although a benefit is not exclusive to the CPSA. 

Yes Matt. Good news about Rio but isn't that the responsibility of British Shooting and the Selection shoots run by the BICTSF.

At present you need to be a member of the CPSA or home governing body to shoot internationally,  that though could be changed with a bit of TipEx and another body written in. Say BICTSF, BASC  or even Shootclay if for some reason the CPSA closed down. 

There's loads of popular grounds that have good facilities  not registered with the CPSA..in face I have done all almost all my shooting at these grounds in the last 12 months and with the exception of a couple of 100 reg all the others have been selection shoots run by the BICTSF.

I woild still have shot the places I did with or without being registered as I went for the comp on the day and ghe enjoyment of doing so.  

I think thogh to be realistic the cost of defending grounds could  potentially put undue pressure on the finances but there should be some ringfenced financial support. 

There need to be more focus on the grass roots shooters outside of that league thing for sporting. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm..yer little devil!!

I'll now have a go..

Surely it's no grounds=No Members= No CPSA.  Insurance although a benefit is not exclusive to the CPSA. 

Yes Matt. Good news about Rio but isn't that the responsibility of British Shooting and the Selection shoots run by the BICTSF.

At present you need to be a member of the CPSA or home governing body to shoot internationally,  that though could be changed with a bit of TipEx and another body written in. Say BICTSF, BASC  or even Shootclay if for some reason the CPSA closed down. 

There's loads of popular grounds that have good facilities  not registered with the CPSA..in face I have done all almost all my shooting at these grounds in the last 12 months and with the exception of a couple of 100 reg all the others have been selection shoots run by the BICTSF.

I woild still have shot the places I did with or without being registered as I went for the comp on the day and ghe enjoyment of doing so.  

I think thogh to be realistic the cost of defending grounds could  potentially put undue pressure on the finances but there should be some ringfenced financial support. 

There need to be more focus on the grass roots shooters outside of that league thing for sporting. 
OK Paul I agree! There are grounds out there who do not do registered shoots, my first shots were fired at just such a ground and as far as I know it's still there! Yes indeed, the cost of defending grounds could prove to be very costly, however I do feel that the CPSA should have some responsibility for helping to protect our grounds and hence the whole of the sport.  As we stand right now, it is ground owners who are ultimately responsible for this. Yes I know that most of the grounds are run on a commercial basis and are privately owned businesses, or maybe member owned clubs, but I do feel that the CPSA should give more help to these grounds and clubs. 

As far as the grass roots element is concerned, well there are a lot of clay shooters out there who do not shoot registered comps, many are not in the CPSA and not interested in comps. A guy I know well has been a shooter all his life, both game and clays, he's never been in the CPSA. His reasons for not joining are that he can get insurance and magazines from many places and is not interested in having his scores recorded, therefore I can only say that he does have some valid points. There must be thousands of guys out there like him, they bash away at clays purely for fun, in fact I do the same these days! So what does the CPSA offer to such grass roots guys? Basically pretty much nothing, it's the ground owners who give us the facilities at which to shoot, and without them, a phrase concerning creeks and paddles springs to mind! 

Over the years I've shot with some truly exceptional shooters, yes many are/were CPSA members and many are/were well known competitors, however there are others who are not known at all, they are/were just fun shooters. I would guess that many of these fun shooters are, even now, not CPSA members. Apart from young shots days, I can't see that the CPSA does very much to promote the sport or itself to non members or non shooters, it's hardly grown much in the past fifteen years as far I know. 

Sorry, I will get off my soap box now and await the flack! 

Let us not get carried away with CPSA administration ( move a few replies to another thread if necessary Matt?).

Let us all put our shoulder to the push to save Normanton.

If a wealthy person moves into an area where a clayshooting ground is and they are offended by the noise, it only takes one complaint to the local coucil to put the ground under threat of closure.

I would like to ask what would the complainants reaction be if we could say " I am in receipt of your complaint and have handed your letter to my representative , The CPSA, whose Barrister has been fully briefed and you will be receiving a visit from our Environmental Engineer in due course.

I don't know how this works in the way of fees... so if i say make a complaiin about a noisy activitycand want it stopped. Do I pay or is it just the person/ organisation defending the complaint.? 

I am a new shooter, I needed insurance so looked at cpsa and basc, didn't see the cpsa do anything to promote shooting/countryside but saw the basc do this so went with them.

all in my opinion of course.

BASC has been responsible for assisting local Wildfowling Clubs to purchase their own marshes or access to them. This has prevented a lot of land from falling into the hands of Organisations such as the R.S.P.B. thus ending the Wildfowling. Surely it is NOT beyond the capabilities of the C.P.S.A. to assist Shooting Grounds who face a battle to remain open without spending a fortune on ill advised soundproofing or legal battles. I know that my local club faced a similar problem of noise a few years ago, but they took on the local Council,  and WON. This was not without cost, including the removal of earth banks because of 'No Planning Permission', which the Council had advised them to put there in the first place. I am not suggesting that the C.P.S.A. fund these battles, but they could find suitable technical and legal representation whose expertise could be called upon, when required.

What I can't understand is how a ground which has restricted opening hours anyway to prevent noise complaints can be subject to this kind of drivel?

If I remember correctly the planning permission allows for Mon-Fri with minimal restrictions, two Saturdays and one Sunday per month...how can this upset anyone?

What also needs to be addressed in these circumstances is the estate agents and solicitors not picking up on such things as a shooting ground being in the local area when they advertise or do their searches...

What the CPSA should be doing is backing up these grounds with full planning permission and getting some planning rules changed...i.e. If a ground has full planning permission there should be bugger all that can be done by someone who moves into an area and complains about the noise.

But you are dealing with people who often have a hidden agenda, the sort who buy a house with a bus stop outside and then campaign until the bus stop is moved ! Oh, by the way according to those who are opposing a solar farm in West Lancs we have large numbers of PROTECTED......................er Pinkfeet Geese ! Those that I have shot over the years must have had the minimum of protection, because it let them down !

OK lets be bloody minded! How many grounds have been saved by the CPSA?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back