Sportasc

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimbusgb

Well no one else seems to have said anything so .....

Papa, Rosso and I hammered up the A40 to Westfield SG to try out the 'Fitasc Lite' Sportasc event devices by a certain Mr Lovatt. ( Thanks Paul, don't think I could have made it home without you driving! )

4 layouts of 4 stands, scored as 8 lots of 20. 160 Clays in a day. A long day it has to be said. We were off at 11:00 and only left, straight from the last stand at about 17:50. Add a 3 1/2 hour drive at each end! 26(?) squads meant there was about an hour between finishing a layout and the start of the next one so enough time to grab a cuppa and some of the excellent grub.

A nice big prize pot for the top guys will have been shared out this evening no doubt. The entry fee of £130 will ensure a good chunk of that. Lots of discussion about the cost in the clubhouse. Two sides to every story I suppose. GD's 150 just edged out by a 151 yesterday evening by mr Lovick and matched by Mark Winser today. Excellent shooting!

Fee covered refreshments, drinks, even carry out stuff to keep you hydrated whilst out in the glorious sunshine that was laid on for the Saturday. Nice Spread of breakfast, lite lunch and afternoon tea and cakes and a great if a little sloppy, strawberry pavlova. ( tough luck it you missed it! :) )

Targets were up to Steve's usual standard, ranging from 'simple' little full face clays, barely 5m away and hanging in front of you ( the obvious temptation to miss ) to a screaming high tower left to right crosser that appeared to be in Cheshire, but was obviously hittable as Papa proved by tagging both it and it's simo partner as he closed out his day! To be fair it raised a cheer from our squad as very few people we'd seen during the day had got anywhere near even scaring that bird let alone killing it.

Targets off a platform, targets requiring footing changes and a 90 degree or more rotation on a pair so a good introduction to 'full fat' fitasc.

looks to be a good format, hopefully able to try it again next time around.

( 160 clays each, squad of 6 and I think we saw 2 no birds all day! Lots of brand spanking new traps around the ground! )

Yes, that tiny black dot in the middle of this pic is the clay,

20150711_121742.jpg

And this is the tower it's coming off, and by the way, it's curling slowly away! :)

20150711_121935.jpg

20150711_125445.jpg

Shooting in the English countryside, grim isn't it ! :)  

Last edited by a moderator:
enjoyed your report and pictures  thanks ,   I could not afford it unfortunately ,   but bet it was a great experience  , maybe next time ?    :rolleyes:  

Very good write up Ian,I have to say it was probably one of the best shoots ive shot this year,Yes a little bit pricey but the ground and targets were A*, Me and my bro had the pleasure to shoot with Chris Childerhouse,what a top bloke to shoot with and to watch,he made a 145/160 look quite easy,hats off to him :hi:

Ditto all the above replies. Left home at 6:30, straight up the A34 only to find the M4 to Swindon closed so had to go long way via Oxford - about 2hrs 10 mins all told. Started at 11:00 and did both the hill stands before lunch - nearly died when I saw 1 peg consisted of 4 rabbit stands. I have trouble with 3 or 4 in normal sporting but 10 of the damned things - came off with a 9 so well chuffed. Shot the simo pair with one shot as a bonus, but missed one single both barrels as if bounced twice, each time at the same time I pulled the trigger!!!!!!!!

It was much easier walking for the last 2 layouts, but targets certainly no easier. That said, there was something for every one in the mix so didn't leave feeling demoralised, in fact I must say it was probably one of the best shoots I've shot. Fantastic variety, spot on organisation and a great spread of food and drinks all day so a big thank you must go out to Steve and Alyson Lovatt, as well as all the referees and staff. Also shot with a great squad including Tiptop from this sight, so a big thank you to them also for the company and good humour during the day.

Finished on 107 in "C" class so was pretty pleased with that considering the layouts, especially when I think of the simple targets that got away and proved expensive in the end.

Checked scores tonight and really surprised to see I ended up equal 9th so ended up in the prize money too, which rounded off a great day out.

Lets hope we don't have to wait another year though before another one.

Steve Lovatts shoots are very challenging, very good, very well thought out. £130 for a shoot of this quality all the food, drink, no break downs, no stupid orange clays in the sky.

My aim was to get more than a 100 (as I have never shot Mr Lovatts shoots very well) this I managed.

People moaning about the price!! Shooting 5 - 10 - £15000 guns, come on £130 for a shoot of that quality - cheap. The work / equipment that went into that was vast.

Top dollar shoot and great company to shoot with.

I'd agree with that review - shot this yesterday, where we experienced four seasons in one day, sunshine, wind, rain - I half expected to see sea fog, a small tornado and hail during the changes of the day.  I arrived in shorts, and soon changed into jeans and a baselayer!

Small but perfectly formed squad - we were a four, which meant some waiting around as we often caught the seven man squad in front of us up... but as has been said, the targets were excellent, great variety with some real challenges for a no-lead duffer like me and very few no birds all day. 

151 is excellent going round there - very impressive indeed. 

Just a few pic when I remembered to get my camera out:

2015-07-12 16.32.36 HDR-2.jpg

2015-07-12 16.32.27.jpg

2015-07-12 10.09.15.jpg

2015-07-12 10.09.11.jpg

Matt,

Just as the overdose of painkillers were kicking in for the right knee, I was on the stand in your second picture and a near whole clay landed on my left foot!!!!  Big bruise today.

Excellent shoot, excellent targets, love that coleslaw and the Eton Mess, great squad - sorry I wasn't very cheerful but I did hurt a lot.

Excellent targets. I liked the format,lots of tricky sim pairs.  It was a very long day, starting at ten and finishing about half five. A good squad, had plenty of laughs. Still hanging on to a few targets which kept me out of the prize money for my class but beat my goal of 100 for the day which was very pleasing and somewhat surprising as the previous day at a fitasc shoot I couldn't hit a bulls arse with a banjo!

Yep - noted the clays landing and stood well back 
I was in the stand, I had just taken my shot, just brought my gun down hadn't even had time to open it when it landed on me.  First thing I thought was get the bloody gun open and the live shell out so that I could start hopping around.

I wonder if there is an argument for Steve Lovatt to perhaps hold one or two more Sportasc events before next year, but perhaps 100 targets, making a shorter day and a smaller outlay? I wonder if those that shot the event feel that would work.

I wonder if there is an argument for Steve Lovatt to perhaps hold one or two more Sportasc events before next year, but perhaps 100 targets, making a shorter day and a smaller outlay? I wonder if those that shot the event feel that would work.
I think 100 would feel too little simply because from my perspective it shot really quickly.   It really did not drag out at all and there was just enough time between layouts for a drink, nibble and a wee and then you were off again.  It was a long day but it did not feel as though it was a long day.  

Me and my bro had the pleasure to shoot with Chris Childerhouse, what a top bloke to shoot with and to watch..........
So pleased we travelled from East Sussex for this, it was a cracking day. I loved the Classic but I actually preferred Steve's Sportasc. He said that it wouldn't be for everyone but for me there was nothing not to like about the day.

"Will"..........I believe that 160 was spot on. 16 layouts, 64 traps. 40 targets then about an hour's break before the next four layouts that ran like clockwork. It wasn't tiring and you remained fresh. Brunch, lunch & tea in a spotless clubhouse for £130 with a £14,000 prize fund!

One shooter said £95 without the grub and you would've filled the spaces.........who knows.

Sorry to hear that the Krieghoff is cancelled............more Sportasc in the future please :clover:

P1000424.JPG

Don't be silly he wants to sell more clays not less.They sound like great events but there are a lot of shooters who have limited budgets ,sounds like sour grapes I know but its a fact and I wish all the best to those in a position to attend all these big money shoots. 

Don't be silly he wants to sell more clays not less.They sound like great events but there are a lot of shooters who have limited budgets ,sounds like sour grapes I know but its a fact and I wish all the best to those in a position to attend all these big money shoots. 
That was my point really. I meant keep the grand 160 annual event, but perhaps ALSO try a £45 100 bird version, with normal Sunday prize pot. Buy your own bacon rolls.

That is a good idea Will, I see what you mean now.  Do more small Sportasc shoots and a fair point Paul b.

Check facebook there is a chance of a Sportasc  the weekend that the Kreighoff was running they are awaiting feedback! 

I missed this one and wished I had the time so this second one would be great! 

Check facebook there is a chance of a Sportasc  the weekend that the Kreighoff was running they are awaiting feedback! 

I missed this one and wished I had the time so this second one would be great! 
Announced on FB. Aug 13-15th. 120 bird Sportasc, £60

??????

Back