Cleaning rod/kit suggestions?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not always true about a rod just being a rod.  Over nearly 60 years I have accumulated  several types of cleaning rod, most of the wooden/brass jointed rods waggle around like nothing on earth, the brass being loose on the shrunken wood and the 3 piece variety are even worse. I have 4 aluminium rods of American distribution, 1 x one piece, 2 x two piece and 1 x three piece. These are my full time cleaning rods and they remain assembled permanently.  Two of the rods have the 'Bisley'  solid bronze type brushes (sometimes called chamber brushes). 1 in 12 bore, the other being in 20 bore. The other 2 rods are fitted with 2 split plastic jags of 12 bore gauge. One or two sweeps with the bronze brush and then the same with the Napier 'super clean ' patch material, in the split jag. ONLY if there is any fouling (usually around the forcing cone/chamber area) will I use Phillips spray cleaner and some balls of kitchen towel. Strips of kitchen towel wrapped around the plastic jag also works well.  I carry a Bore-Snake in each gun case, but only use them if I am shooting away from home.  Buy a small can of spray 3 in 1 oil and the same in WD40. Carry them in your shooting bag. If it is raining at the start of the day, whip off the forend and spray the barrels with 3 in 1 oil. Wipe off surplus with kitchen towel. If the gun gets wet, spray the barrels inside and out with WD40 before putting back in gunslip for the journey home.  I like the Lucas red gun oil  and the Lucas red grease, both off fleabay, cheap enough, good stuff and last for ever. Worth a look, I always use the red oil on my chokes and have NEVER had one stuck.
I lucked out on ebay and bought 4 tetra one piece rods new for a bargain price proper handles and you can really go to town without them wobbling or deciding to detach at the brass,you can also find similar army surplus 2 piece cleaning rods with a t handle that are also great used with a payne galway/bisley chamber brush.

I also bought one of the very cheap aluminium cased multi bore cleaning kits as the rods are great for drills and randomly the other sizes have come in handy for cleaning many other things including windscreen wiper bushes!

I realised it was a westley cock up and was aimed at me but just couldn't be arsed to say anything 😄

Anyway i will still load for you my friend 👍

I realised it was a westley cock up and was aimed at me but just couldn't be arsed to say anything 😄

Anyway i will still load for you my friend 👍
Westley has not had his cock up in 20 years  :angel:

Just re-read this... shouldn't have said kit; it was just a rod. Gotta get some grease this week so that stuff will NOT be coming from Decathlon!
Go on the bay and look at Lucas 'red tacky grease' either in tub or grease gun format, you will never need to buy any more grease as long as you shoot  !  (About £7 a BIG tub). Try their red gun oil too !

My tip -  Whatever cleaner or spray you use, give the barrels a squirt then roll them around to allow the cleaner to be well distributed. Rest the barrels horizontally then go get a cup of tea. Leave the cleaner to soak in for 5 to 10 minutes. You will find it then does it's job and breaks down fouling far more effectively. I use a payne gallway on a chamber rod (just a short rod) to clean the forcing cones, then another one on an long aluminium rod I acquired from somewhere or other to do the tubes. I then clean the residual mess from the barrels using a sqwished up piece of kitchen roll (normally about half a sheet does it) forced down the barrels, squeaking as it goes.

Finally and most importantly don't over oil. The tiniest little drop is all that's needed. 

Go on the bay and look at Lucas 'red tacky grease' either in tub or grease gun format, you will never need to buy any more grease as long as you shoot  !  (About £7 a BIG tub). Try their red gun oil too !
Thanks, I looked at that but wasn't sure if it was the correct stuff cos it said tacky, but in the end I went for a tube of Schmierfix as I figured if it's good enough for Kreighoff..., and also that it was on offer delivered on Amazon right now for about £3. Will take it under advisement when I next get stuff that that IS the right stuff I read about though. 👍

I use a payne gallway on a chamber rod (just a short rod) to clean the forcing cones, then another one on an long aluminium rod I acquired from somewhere or other to do the tubes.
Yeah, thanks, I want to get a one peice rod if I see a deal or summat, but I figured the bonus of a two/three piece is that I can make it smaller for more pressure on certain areas exactly such as that. When I picked the gun up from the gunsmith, I got the chance to be shown a couple of different guns that needed cleaning, and I could see the increased fouling around the forcing cone area so I'm all over cleaning the barrels as you suggest. 😊

Thanks, I looked at that but wasn't sure if it was the correct stuff cos it said tacky, but in the end I went for a tube of Schmierfix as I figured if it's good enough for Kreighoff..., and also that it was on offer delivered on Amazon right now for about £3. Will take it under advisement when I next get stuff that that IS the right stuff I read about though. 👍
Yep, that is the right stuff. It was designed for use by US Army on their weapons. I have used it for over 20 years without any problems and have NEVER had a stuck choke. I use the oil on my chokes and my semi auto bolt rails etc. The grease I use on my opening guns, some on the hinge pin, the knuckle and the forend catch, also my fishing reels.

Even the Teague Choke Grease is just repackaged high pressure blue grease .  Mr Teague himself showed me the grease gun cartridge in his workshop  ! The Schmierfix price on Amazon is very good   I might have to treat myself  . You won’t have any problems with that it’s a  a moly grease .  My favourite is Tetra Gun Grease  . Used it for years on everything  that goes bang ! Just a few tips for what it’s worth : Halfords Carb cleaner  ( used outdoors or well ventilated area  )  is  great for blasting old grease/crud  off bearing surfaces  and choke threads, and a piece of green plastic  “ pan scrub “ cut to the right size and used in a cleaning jag on your rod can be a decent tool for scrubbing heavy/ stubborn  fouling after you have soaked the barrel in your cleaner of choice .  

Latest posts

Back