Finally found some time

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK421

After getting my SGC through last year, it's sat there gathering dust as I've just been too busy to even think about shooting. Ironically The whole reason for taking up the sport was to make time to detach from work life and spend more time on me. I did however always find time late on in the evening to have a scan of the forum for a read.

so I got my act together and headed over to Faux and also booked some time with Brian Clegg. A real nice , Top bloke, guy most certainly knows his stuff, had some good fluffy rabbits as well which helped relax things, highly recommended. He Covered the basics, saftey, handling, mechanics and a good few pointers to get me going. Worth every penny for me to get a good overview and understanding of the sport and a firm foundation on where to start and how to be safe going forward. Thanks Brian ;)  

Now I have finally got my act together I and am going to try to keep up the momentum, starting with a new gun purchase.

the beretta family so far seems to fit my shape, shot a Miroku (mk 6000 or 600 not sure which one it was) but struggled to get into the gun, felt awkward. The lanber felt ok, and shot ok with it, but a 690 I shouldered just felt that bit better in every way. I'm not saying I want a 690, just that it felt a better fit, also shouldered a 692, loved it and the gun.

Question is, and sorry to ask as I know this gets asked a lot, but how is the current quality of beretta, I'm in the North west so was thinking of heading to Premier guns? Any recommendations ?

Also with the beretta family feeling like a better fit is there any other guns I should consider? 

Non of this part part is set in stone, I am open to suggestion and guidance on this.

Please excuse if I have asked any daft questions, I know choice is personal and subjective,  but better to ask the question here in order to gain a better perspective and opinions of others etc.

thanks again

Welcome to the forum and the start of your journey to find a gun to fit you and enjoy the learning curve.  I can't comment on Beretta as I am a lanky 6 2 and prefer the fit of Browning or Miroku for an o/u. 

There are many very knowledgeable and helpful members on this forum who have helped me a lot.  Good luck and enjoy your shooting.

Welcome to the forum and the start of your journey to find a gun to fit you and enjoy the learning curve.  I can't comment on Beretta as I am a lanky 6 2 and prefer the fit of Browning or Miroku for an o/u. 

There are many very knowledgeable and helpful members on this forum who have helped me a lot.  Good luck and enjoy your shooting.
Thanks for the warm welcome. Cheers. 

Im just under 6ft, (I gave up trying) but somebody already mentioned that you fit one of the other regarding beretta and browning. My cousin shoots, along with many others, a browning 725 prestige he's a tall lad, over 6ft also.

thanks again

Why not look at an older models.  Some people consider the 682 Gold E the finest clay gun ever made.  Before being seduced by germanic engineering, I absolutely loved my DT10 and many people still prefer them to the newer DT11.  You could probably pick up a DT10 for a price not far different from a new 690 / 692.

We're abouts in the north west are you? Malmo guns have a great selection of shotguns many of which are browning and Beretta's. 

another for Malmo Guns near Lancaster, good stock and very helpfull, bought my 725 from them

+2 for Malmo Guns, AND you can try used guns too !

PS

They are still the best cartridge prices around at present.

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome

Beretta quality not as good as it was in the 90s (Imo) but still very good.

no real comparison handling wise with anything else.

bebo is kind of correct but it was the original 682 gold which remains Imo the best competition gun ever made by anyone ever (all things considered)

I would look for a 682 or a 686 in any of there variant. You wont go wrong with any of those.

LA2 9DB is malmo's postcode thay also have a website for you to brows all the guns . Like Westley said you can try second hand guns out on site so its worth a trip down there if its not too far from you.

Why not look at an older models.  Some people consider the 682 Gold E the finest clay gun ever made.  Before being seduced by germanic engineering, I absolutely loved my DT10 and many people still prefer them to the newer DT11.  You could probably pick up a DT10 for a price not far different from a new 690 / 692.
Hi Bebo, I have been looking at that exact comparison DT10 and 692. For what it's worth the sporting side of clays appeals to me although at this stage proving very challenging. I did have a go at some skeet, still challenging, as I am still learning but very enjoyable  also. With this in mind am thinking a gun more suited to sporting? Do these still fit the bill?

have seen malmo mentioned a few times, what's the deal with trying them out? Do they have grounds there? Also is the price you see the price you pay? Will they try to sell me any gun, or one that suits me best? I've never reacted well to pushy sales, not suggesting  for one minute that they will, just pointing it out. I don't mind spending my hard earned, but expect a portion of that cost to go towards good sales advice when buying, if that makes sense. 

Thanks again for all your replies,  very helpful bunch indeed ;)

Malmo is a highly reputable family owned and run business. I can assure you that they will not push a sale or sell you anything unsuitable.

you wont pay to try a gun.

another for Malmo Guns near Lancaster, good stock and very helpfull, bought my 725 from them
Will definitely have a look at this 

+2 for Malmo Guns, AND you can try used guns too !

PS

They are still the best cartridge prices around at present.
Good to know, as they aren't cheap. 

welcome

Beretta quality not as good as it was in the 90s (Imo) but still very good.

no real comparison handling wise with anything else.

bebo is kind of correct but it was the original 682 gold which remains Imo the best competition gun ever made by anyone ever (all things considered)

I would look for a 682 or a 686 in any of there variant. You wont go wrong with any of those.
Hi IPS, I've read a lot about the 682's and I must admit it is/was on my radar, I guess I was just looking to buy something newer, which doesn't mean to say the 682 isn't a good buy, and I still may even grab a nice one if I find one. Brian did actually mention the 682 gold non e model as being a great gun. Thanks for your input, your opinion is valued mate?

LA2 9DB is malmo's postcode thay also have a website for you to brows all the guns . Like Westley said you can try second hand guns out on site so its worth a trip down there if its not too far from you.
Think I'll b heading north up the M6, I'm actually very near the windmill junction knutsford so under an hour I guess. 

If you find a gun that you want to buy its always worth throwing in a cheeky offer, the worst someone can say is no. i got £150 knocked off my gun that's nearly the price of 1000 cartridges so its worth a try - mention that this is your first gun. Trust me it helps. 

your welcome mate.

newer not always better , if a twenty year old + gun has been well cared for it will serve you well and you will lose next to nothing if you ever chop it in ?

If you find a gun that you want to buy its always worth throwing in a cheeky offer, the worst someone can say is no. i got £150 knocked off my gun that's nearly the price of 1000 cartridges so its worth a try - mention that this is your first gun. Trust me it helps. 
Always makes me feel a little better when spending a good chunk of money, if I get a bit chipped off ?

your welcome mate.

newer not always better , if a twenty year old + gun has been well cared for it will serve you well and you will lose next to nothing if you ever chop it in ?
Agreed, it's the 'been cared for' bit that is hard to find. It's a great position to be in, and I am looking forward to this next phase, trying to not overthink it to be honest, but knowing what I am like, I do want to give it my best effort to try and get something that will fit me well, and be with me for a while whilst I learn the ropes so to speak. Not loosing much if and when I sell it would be a great advantage and something I have to consider. But from the onset, most quality guns seem to hold there value reasonably well, which is good news. 

I have seen seen a few adverts with 'only shot a few hundred cartridges through' and 'has sat in the safe unused for the last 5 years', if true I'm thinking these would be a consideration, and taken with a pinch of salt I'm sure. ??

Hi Bebo, I have been looking at that exact comparison DT10 and 692. For what it's worth the sporting side of clays appeals to me although at this stage proving very challenging. I did have a go at some skeet, still challenging, as I am still learning but very enjoyable  also. With this in mind am thinking a gun more suited to sporting? Do these still fit the bill?

have seen malmo mentioned a few times, what's the deal with trying them out? Do they have grounds there? Also is the price you see the price you pay? Will they try to sell me any gun, or one that suits me best? I've never reacted well to pushy sales, not suggesting  for one minute that they will, just pointing it out. I don't mind spending my hard earned, but expect a portion of that cost to go towards good sales advice when buying, if that makes sense. 

Thanks again for all your replies,  very helpful bunch indeed ;)
My understanding is that the main difference between a sporting gun and a game or trap one is auto safety and weight for game guns and for trap it's rib and stock differences.  I'd advise against a game gun for sporting - you'll end up feeling a bit beaten up because the light weight means more recoil.  Doesn't matter so much when game shooting as you don't take anywhere near as many shots. Lots of people shoot sporting with trap, depends on what you like.  For skeet, it was traditionally shorter barrels, but if you've got a multi-choke sporter it'll be fine for skeet as well.

All the various models will be available in either trap or sporting configuration, so just look to see what it is before you try.

The DT10 and 11 are the top of the range clay guns that Beretta produced.  They're designed to take a pounding from lots of heavy competition shooting.  If you can get a good condition DT10 I'd definitely go for that.  Being second hand you'll also probably have no problem getting a gun shop to let you try them.

My understanding is that the main difference between a sporting gun and a game or trap one is auto safety and weight for game guns and for trap it's rib and stock differences.  I'd advise against a game gun for sporting - you'll end up feeling a bit beaten up because the light weight means more recoil.  Doesn't matter so much when game shooting as you don't take anywhere near as many shots. Lots of people shoot sporting with trap, depends on what you like.  For skeet, it was traditionally shorter barrels, but if you've got a multi-choke sporter it'll be fine for skeet as well.

All the various models will be available in either trap or sporting configuration, so just look to see what it is before you try.

The DT10 and 11 are the top of the range clay guns that Beretta produced.  They're designed to take a pounding from lots of heavy competition shooting.  If you can get a good condition DT10 I'd definitely go for that.  Being second hand you'll also probably have no problem getting a gun shop to let you try them.
Sounds great, and the DT10 I would imagine will have a pretty good resell value if I don't get on with it also? 

May head up to malmo tomorrow, just going to have a peak online now at what they have ??

DT10's have the Beretta name on the action.  They changes the style of it at one point, the older guns are lower case the new ones in capitals.  Good luck.

30" or 32" ?  Also what year did the change happen in terms of lower case to upper? 

Was there any differnces between th older and newer models? 

Initial look, they are pretty thin on the ground ?

Back