Choosing a fibre cartridge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I aslo only shoot fibre as most of the grounds I go to only allow fibre. I find TT1 throw out quite a lot of confetti and are a very dirty cartridge compared with Lyalvale Express or Ely. Through choice I shoot Lyalvale Express. 

I have just been given some Gambore which will be an interesting experiment to see how they compare. 

I've shot the Kent branded Gamebore at my last two shoots, nothing to complain about. £180 a thou so I'll be getting some more. I'm sure they will be the same load as Velocity.

It’s that time of year again when I buy my Hull Sovereign fibres to compete at the Beretta World.  I don’t have extensive knowledge or first hand experience of a variety of fibre cartridges so admit that I chose this one a few years ago as it was expensive.  My thought process was at the time it will shoot more like a plastic cartridge and I would have less confetti.  I like them and they do have next to no confetti so I buy them when I need fibre which isn’t very often and thank goodness for that as they are pricey.

My question is what would you choose for me and why.  I would want 28g and either 7.5 or 8 I suppose.
Hull Pro Fibre are very nice. Smooth.  I also think Gamebore Velocity will bash anything for less money. 

Last edited by a moderator:
l use Eley Olympic Blues, cleanest fibres l have ever used, no confetti, good patterns 7.5 does the job.

Shot some more fBlack Sportings over the weekend and I must say, I like them a lot. Recoil is acceptable and they kill well.

Also shot some fibre Evos in 21g, which were (predictably) soft and again killed well - so imagine the 24/28g versions will also be worth a look.

Rio Sporting Loads are also pretty difficult to beat for the money (in 24g or 28g). They will kill pretty much anything at any range and for less than £200 per 1000.

As others have probably said, given acceptable perceived recoil for a given shooter, there aren't really, in my (admittedly limited) experience many bad options. It's largely in the head.

Recently tried a slab of Sporting 100 which Hull have just started to offer in fibre....smooth & hard hitting & medium price.

Only use fibre and find Fiocchi , Hull & Cheddite to be least affected confetti wise.Gamebore are at wedding level in comparison but still effective nontheless !..
Just noticed that Hull have downgraded Sporting 100 from 5% to 2% antimony shot on their website.....theyre always messing with loads ,these manufacturers!!!!

All this talk about Fibres ! Why don't you find one that you like and stick with it?

I have used Lyalvale Express Supreme for many years and never had a problem with them through various Guns , chokes and shot size from 8s to 5s .

I have also used many other brands that have had wads that gave lots of confetti , but the lead pellets went where I wanted them to go .

The confetti was possibly an aid to biodegradability?

Thats a great definitive answer.................
Well, I only pattern for my personal product assessment, I’m not writing a book. 😀

I’ve never found a significant difference between my DT11, Blaser and Perazzi in terms of pattern type or size with similar choke. In fact none..

Years ago I used to pattern at lots of ranges, but never found anything surprising, so I’m confident that if it’s good at 15 yards it’s good at 40 etc.. Yes, I know this isn’t laboratory-like but I find out what I need to know and cartridges go on to perform as expected on clays. Usually I’m looking for 2 things; even pattern density, plus overall “diameter” of the spread.

Hull Sporting 100 28g plas 8 were dense in centre with a pretty random outer area. So, good kills if you centre stuff, but a risk otherwise. A shame as they are nice and smooth to shoot. I suspect they would be fine in a bigger shot size, whereas 8s tend to need a good wad and propellant or the pattern does its own thing, I have found.

I can tell by the breaks i get that they pattern well through my Perazzi...horses for courses and all that...
Like I say, good breaks in the middle. Poor use of pellets overall. Same characteristics will Fiocchi F black. People go “oooh” that was good, but it’s the less great kills or chips that might be good kills using something else. But it’s all personal choice and confidence.

I shot Roundwood last Thursday with them and they were devastating. Mind you - I was using a K80 Super Sport so obviously it was the gun.

Like I say, good breaks in the middle. Poor use of pellets overall. Same characteristics will Fiocchi F black. People go “oooh” that was good, but it’s the less great kills or chips that might be good kills using something else. But it’s all personal choice and confidence.
Thinking back i did pattern them with my old Perazzi only .0002 looser and i found an even pattern at 30 yards that was about 3 years ago,i patterned a lot of different cartridges that day!

Back