CG Maxum cartridge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you're grumbling about the price of cartridges because you shoot a lot? Errrrrm?
Must say I've never grasped the logic behind shooting expensive shells for the hell of it, certainly not simply because you happen to have an expensive gun. Shells are consumables, guns don't get thrown away and they retain a fair percentage of their value even years after they were first bought. 

So you're grumbling about the price of cartridges because you shoot a lot? Errrrrm?
Errrrmmm no. 

I'm really enjoying this thread but would just like to find out why a given cartridge would work particularly well through a 32" CG ?  :angel:  Surely a good shell is a good shell. 

Personally think the £240 quid a thou merchants are having a laugh at our expense. There is nothing a shell retailing a LOT less won't do so long as it suits YOU. 
I cant comment on how they shoot through other guns. And of course the OP didn't ask that ? 

Agree 100% with the rest of the post. 

Never patterned anything before.........

But Hull Pro-One 8s through Muller U2 will break pretty much everything on the UK sporting scene. 

Gun is a 30 inch Summit Ascent. 

The rational for stating 32 CG barrels as I'm sure if we all lined up in front of pattern plates with different guns yet same chokes and cartridges I'm sure we would see different pictures painted with every gun and that's if they were all 32's.

As the pattern plate is our only real way of getting any data with an element of control that's why I asked.

As a newbie and my first post I would like to say thanks for all the replies, great site.

Don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but if you shot 100 shots through the same barrel, the same choke and with the same cartridge, ALL of the patterns would be different.

There seems to be some sort of magic powers associated with certain barrel/choke/cartidge combinations with the expectation of superbly even patterns every time.

Shotguns do not possess the same level of consistency as say, a rifle, where shots can be put through the same hole time and time again. They are crude "Scatter Guns". Nothing more than a glorified drainpipe, extremely crude in comparison.

How often do we miss a target when we know we were on it? Ever thought it might have flown through the pattern untouched, even though it was within the limits of the spread? The normal assumption is that we put the shot in the wrong place, but this is not always true.

Stop trying to achieve 100% perfection. It may happen one day, but until then it will be as random as the shot placement in your patterns. Just enjoy your shooting!  :smile:

Just p/x my CG for a rim fire!

No but Ian your right, if we achieved 100% perfection and our cards were full every week we would probably be hitting white balls around a trimmed green or sitting by a lakes edge waiting for a bite because shooting is just to easy!

happy shooting brothers!! Enjoy

Will, decent is easy. Most of them are decent. We need to avoid the nasty, thumpy cheap rubbish that the makers put out to meet a requirement in the market for such a product. The price difference between cheap and reasonable would hardly buy you lunch on a Sunday.

Lunch on Sunday? Bacon sarnie and a mug of tea.  100 carts at 16p. as compared to 100 at 22p. Six quid? Its like buying supermarket fuel for your £30K car. 
And supermarket fuel comes from the majors. Which one depends on who is delivering to the local depot that week. All branded fuel tankers fill up at the same depot, which may have been filled by Total, Exxon, or Shell depending on which week it is.

Supermarkets sell it cheap as a loss leader. No problem putting it in your 30k motor, you just save a few quid. Which you could spend on your Sunday lunch ?

And supermarket fuel comes from the majors. Which one depends on who is delivering to the local depot that week. All branded fuel tankers fill up at the same depot, which may have been filled by Total, Exxon, or Shell depending on which week it is.

Supermarkets sell it cheap as a loss leader. No problem putting it in your 30k motor, you just save a few quid. Which you could spend on your Sunday lunch ?
I love this urban myth about supermarket fuel being diluted ostrich piss  :lol: :lol: , can you imagine the lawsuits car manufacturers would bring against supermarkets if their customers started taking damaged cars back under warranty ?  :blink:  Incidentally down my way the cheapest fuel is invariably Esso, supermarkets are often at least as expensive anyway. 

I love this urban myth about supermarket fuel being diluted ostrich piss  :lol: :lol: , can you imagine the lawsuits car manufacturers would bring against supermarkets if their customers started taking damaged cars back under warranty ?  :blink:  Incidentally down my way the cheapest fuel is invariably Esso, supermarkets are often at least as expensive anyway. 
dont tell everyone. Someone has to buy the dear stuff.

Do your research O Wise One. You are out of touch with reality. Of course it all comes from the same source - its what happens to it afterwards that makes the difference. Personally, I wouldn't use it in my lawn mower, never mind my cars.

the reason supermarket fuel is cheaper is simply there massive buying power...most forecourts esso/bp/shell are franchises so they just do not buy the same amount and even though they get some support for flying the companies flag it is impossible to compete with the supermarkets and make a profit.

years ago i used to order for a garage i worked in they gave no credit beyond your previous delivery and you were lucky to make a couple of pence

as far as the quality goes its all the same! premium fuels just have a higher ron and some additive sh*te

This whole "supermarket fuel is rubbish" issue arose back in 2007. Tesco sold a batch of "faulty" fuel, and of course this hit the headlines and caused a good deal of uncertainty. My understanding is there's no definitive proof either way, but people tend to want to believe the worst, but with the lack of any actual proof in the end it's up to you.   

To be honest, I do sometime fill up at the supermarket but I would not use their petrol it in my lawn mower, but that's mostly because it's electric and that would be a bit silly.

When you can get 6p a litre off at Tescos with a loyalty card you can afford to run Super 98 instead of Regular 95. A 5.5 litre V8 gets through a bit of 'motion lotion' and somewhat surprisingly it easily gets about 8% better mileage on Super as opposed to regular. Ergo supermarket for me! 70 000 miles on supermarket fuel hasn't hurt the car at all.

Back to cartridges. I've put over 20000 Hull superfast 27 * 7 1/2 through my CG Summit 32" and I am really happy with them. Mostly plastics but about 3000 have been felt wad. A little dirtier and perhaps a wider pattern.

Recently bought 500 Gamebore Black Golds in 28 * 8 and all I can say is they kick like a mule! The extra £60 per 1000 made no difference to my scores!

Latest posts

Back