Barrels...........30 / 31 / 32''

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philpot

I have said for a little while that I miss my 32'' barrels on my old DT10 switching to 30'' on my CG which has been fine, perhaps making me shoot a bit quicker but the steadyness of the 32'' is noticeable. Now we are looking at Perazzi with 30 3/4'' and Beretta offering 31'' for both the DT11 and 694 so perhaps 31'' is that nice balance between the shorter 30'' and the 32'' barrels.  Have any of you guys switched to 31'' and if so what are your feeling and how they compare to your other barrels.

Phil

Just a general comment; barrel weight and barrel length are two separate elements. Weight affects feel, length affects picture. It’s not the case that a 30” will always be more nimble than a 32” if you’re talking different brands of gun. Take every gun as an individual I would suggest. 

Just a general comment; barrel weight and barrel length are two separate elements. Weight affects feel, length affects picture. It’s not the case that a 30” will always be more nimble than a 32” if you’re talking different brands of gun. Take every gun as an individual I would suggest. 
Thank Will, a very valid point which I was not taking into account. I should also think about balance as I prefer my gun to be slightly stock heavy,, it seems to suit me more.

Shot a 30.75inch 682 Gold, 30 inch 686E and now a 31 inch 694. Each can (as near as I can tell) be 'adjusted' to shoot like the others by the choice of chokes - flush, extended, metal type etc. The 682 are the heaviest out of the box but with titanium internals they are just about the same as the 686 with steel externals. You can always balance the extra inch out with weight in the stock. Moderns barrels tend to be lighter per inch.

In short, my experience, is that an inch is irrelevant - when it comes to barrels !!

Will is right in that I would tend to find the balance point of your current gun and the use that as a marker as opposed to worrying about the barrel length as such - That's assuming I have understood Will's point correctly. Also if you are looking for a rough idea weigh the barrel & forend (1) and the receiver and stock (2) and that will give you a rough idea of the proportions by which other guns can be compared.

Balance on the pin / between the hands can always be achieved, but IMO the main handling feel (during moving to/ away from a target) comes from barrel weight, especially at the muzzle. Two twenty stone blokes sat on a see-saw balance the same as two small children do, but it’s a very different movement characteristic in each case. 

I have only had one gun with 32'' barrels and that was my DT10 so I cannot give chapter and verse when my experience is restricted. One thing I can say is that almost straight away, I loved the swing I seemed to have compared to other 30'' guns I had owned but perhaps this was in the mind although using the gun on skeet, trap and sporting, it felt very comfortable to use and never too long or heavy.  I had an offer for the gun that was too good so I sold it (the pension only goes so far) and bought the 30'' CG which I really do like BUT at times it just feels too quick whereas the steady handling of the DT10  was better for me. 

Phil

On a Perazzi factory order you can specify the weight of the barrels (and they are stamped )- so my 33" MX12 and 32" High Tech S have barrels that weigh the same (KG 1610) and are thus very similar to swing.

20230103_185214.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back