Cartridges ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi James................I,m there Sat at 1am having a lesson with Hamish........ill hang around until you come

PM incoming mate !

Not read all the comments but my opinion is as you would guess Fiocchi. I use Golden Trap for any of the trap disciplines (fast or slow). Official Trap is also a consistent trap cartridge..

I have Nicola on ignore, I do not read what she's posted, but I'm guessing she's banging a big Fiocchi drum, again!!! I think every now and then Fiocchi sweep up the rejected shot off the floor, use up some cheap 'thumpy' powder, load it up, ship it to the UK and sell it as their budget range...

Eley Olympics at £150/1000 would be worth buying a box or two to 'blind test'...

Italy have two of the best cartridge manufacturers in the world...and Fiocchi...

Darkside talks sh*te most of the time since I un friended him from Facebook and is obviously still crying as he misses seeing all the action....luckily I am in ninja mode so the surly bad tempered milkmaid cannot see me.....otherwise he would have more wind up his kilt....affecting his Ann Summers tweed winter warmers......he always strikes me as a girl who does not go commando...!!

:laugh:

Anyway back to the topic Russell.......you will find the odd few know it alls who are anti something because they are anti the people who give the info.....but trust me....if you want to win....do not compete on cheap cartridges.

If you just want to play...then use anything that floats your boat. If you just want to throw lead in the air....then ask the advice of Darky...

:laugh:

Off now to do some work.

(Laughing as I leave the forum .....and just wishing that a few others would hit the 'ignore Nicola button' and then I would not have to listen to their sh*te)

Ah hahahahahahahahahaha

Yes Les you are defo correct there is no point to shooting something just because it is cheap, but if you find something is working well and is a bit cheaper in my book anyway it is worth while using it. And never forget I am Scottish, the save a penny gene kicks in "many a mickle makes a muckle". I love the Browning and to be honest I have a bit of dosh burning a hole in my pocket and was thinking about something new but I know that a new gun is only an adornment and I will shoot no better with it. I also hate the "all the gear no idea type of attitude" so I am minded to stay with what I have. But then again its nice to have nice things isn't it ?
Well John, if you really have that itch to scratch and you feel like moving to something new, well just go for it mate. To move upward from what you now have is a bit scary though! What I mean by that is that you are entering a place where you will be looking at MX8's, DT10/DT11, K80's, B25's, Gamba Daytona, Kemen. So unless you are looking at a used gun, the money to change is going to be a fair whack mate! If you do go down the used route it is crucial to make sure that the gun in question has not been shot to death, because many of the guns I mentioned could have seen a lot of work in their time, as thet are rately bought by those who only shoot a few times a year and may possibly be in need of a major overhaul. I guess you could move slightly up and sideways and go to a Mirolu MK38 grade 5, OK not a lot different to your current gun as made in the same factory, but they are still very nice and also cheap when compared to the other guns I mentioned. At the end of the day it's your itch and only you can scratch it mate!

Re-les comment on performance.

Last weekend we put a few cartridges through a chrono i am not saying which on open forum but two types from a leading mfr of high ish quality but both just sub 200 mark were very consistent at 1250 fps observed velocity at about 3 metres and another leading mfrs budget end but a very popular cartridge about 155 mark were all over the place between 1240 and 1350 so consistency may well be an issue with budget end and yes they were from same box.

We were shocked at how variable the observed velocity was. Makes you think that you do get what you pay for after all.
I was talking to a couple of people recently who cut open some of the shells I was using until earlier this year, shells that I had been using for about 13 years in fact. I happened to say that I didn't think the shells were giving the sort of breaks that they used to, anyway these guys found that in a trap load there were quite a few size 9 shot and also a lot of less than round shot too. This was in shells that are designed to be used for Olympic diciplines and they are not exactly cheapo shells either! I had also noticed that some of them seems to recoil very lightly and some were thumpy, but they were all from the same box!!!

Seems quality and consistency is difficult to find.

We have a bloke up north who is our leading cartridge guru with all the kit too analyse them including antimony what he doesn't know about cartridges is not worth knowing we all give him stuff to disect and trust his conclusion. He recently dissected f blue and f black for me and said that all components were as good as it gets.

Good enough for me.

Seems quality and consistency is difficult to find.

We have a bloke up north who is our leading cartridge guru with all the kit too analyse them including antimony what he doesn't know about cartridges is not worth knowing we all give him stuff to disect and trust his conclusion. He recently dissected f blue and f black for me and said that all components were as good as it gets.

Good enough for me.
So up your skirt Darky......... ah hahahahahahahaha

Gosh i hope i am still deleted.....reading Darkies posts is like listening to bagpipes..... :laugh:

Nicola !!!!!......The End .....

Last edited:
Supercharged, if it's any use to you there is a review of Trap Cartridges in this months Clay Shooting magazine (October edition). Lots of pattern plate results. Makes interesting reading.  :nyam:

Nicola !!!!!......The End .....
Well I will try to answer what The End is for you Russell. In my honest opinion and quite simply put ...the end you requested is.....

after you have tried all the many great cartridges out there.....try Fiocchi Official Trap or better still Golden Trap....and for any trap discipline....you wont look back.

However as i said this offering is only my honest opinion.

Good luck with what ever you choose. xx :aikido:  

If you are going to buy the Fiocchi buy the Top One 28g 7.5 plastic wad if the target does not break its because you missed nothing to do with the cartridge!

If you are going to buy the Fiocchi buy the Top One 28g 7.5 plastic wad if the target does not break its because you missed nothing to do with the cartridge!
That's what I use jwpx (really what is that user name all about) you could be my new favourite giving out advice like that....

Back