Miroku MK60

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew01

Some advice please.

It’s time to move on from my first gun and upgrade to something a bit nicer.

I have seen online and then visited Premier Guns to see it in the flesh , a Miroku Mk60 that has been fitted with Briley chokes .

It mounted and fitted really well, and I was very very tempted to purchase it there and then,

It’s on sale for £1195 , obviously it’s a used gun although from what I could tell it hasn’t been used very much at all.

My question is this, as I only shoot clays would I be better off buying an MK38 Sporter as they are recognised as a clay cruncher or is the Mk60 just as good for clay busting .

Cheers 👍

I'm no expert by any means, but I think the MK60 and MK38 are very similar, if not the same internally. I think it's just the stock dimensions that are different. It fits and you like it, then I think it would be a good choice for a clay gun. Maybe ask if you can take it for a test fire next time you visit premier guns.

I'm not sure where you are located but Bamfords Guns in Lancashire have a brand new MK60 for £1195. Granted it's fixed choke so you might have to get the top barrel opened up if/when the lead shot restrictions come in.

There's a lot of people on the forum with more experience and knowledge than myself who will be able to better advise you.

There not a lot (if anything) between them in terms of mechanics and reliability - they are after all the same gun. The MK60 would have been a fixed choke gun (the MK70 is the multi choke version) which has had Brileys added at a later date. That's not a bad thing but it does mean that gun is going to be a little custom in terms of the barrel weight and thus overall balance - it might be closer to an MK38 but without weighting the bits etc . . . . .

If you are happy the gun is sound then the MK60 would be a reasonable purchase assuming it works for you - given its second hand and at Premier (as per LH8611 above) don't rely on a mount or two in the shop (and them saying it fits like they do), take it out and and shoot some easy going away and crossers - a round of 25 on the skeet is a good test. It might cost you the cleaning fee if you don't like it but you will have a better idea as to how it will work long term.

Someone might correct me here but in my view many (standard 525 based) Brownings and Miroku's of the same barrel length vary in balance & feel because of the wood density & weight and that can be just as much between guns of the same model & type than slightly different models.

What are you moving from ?. Just an idea - find out the balance point of your current gun and then what you are looking at. If the balance point is similar then good but if its different then there will be a learning curve moving to the new gun and you need to accept & work through that.

MK60 was made as a ‘ universal sporter ‘ and came with fixed choke barrels . Always a very popular gun for clays and game , the same reason as a 38 trap gun , that is some prefered the feel of the fixed choke barrels over the factory multichokes ( MK70 snd MK38 sporter ) which flare out at the end of the barrels and have quite a thick wall on the choke tube . Teague and Briley thin wall conversions keep that feel . You need to shoot the 60 next to a 38 sporter and decide which feels best . Note some 38 Sporters are designated 38 Teague , all that means is they were originally supplied with a few Teague made Invector plus chokes , not a Teague thinwall conversion .

Early in my journey seeking the perfect gun I had a 30" MK 60 for a few years. As said it started life as fixed choke (1/4 & 3/4 in my case) version of the MK70 which itself was identical to the Browning 425. Back then both guns were available as either sporter or game versions. Later MK60s were made in a single "Universal" model.

My honest opinion is that the MK60, even after Teague thinwalls, was poorly balanced in that it was very light up front. The MK70 was the exact opposite and just like the 425, was very front heavy.

Personally I prefer a slight forward weight bias so traded the MK60 for a 686E Beretta, but a mate at the straw baler I used to attend bought an MK60 with 32" barrels and in that configuration it had lovely balance and feel. Miroku never advertised either the MK60 or 70 as available with 32" barrels so it was always a mystery gun.

I think the MK 60 and MK70 were always intended to be a 'game' gun, suitable for clays. Whereas the MK 38's were intended as a 'Clay' gun, suitable for game. The current Miroku 'High Bird' guns are based around the MK 60, usually with a 6mm 'game' rib. If you feel happy with the gun, then buy it. You will NOT find a better choke than the Briley thin wall chokes.

Originally the both the 60 and 70 were produced in 2 versions, sporter and game and allegedly only available with 28 or 30" barrels. More recently the 60 became "universal". AFAIK they all had the same fixed choke barrels, most being quarter/half choking. I had an original for 4 years, multi-choked by Teague, and while it was deadly on fast, short window targets it tended to be somewhat unstable on long targets.

A few years a friend bought one with 32" barrels; apparently they'd quietly made a few and I had a chance to try his which I loved. The handling was transformed into a really well balanced sporter but by then I'd migrated to Italian iron - but couldn't resist a few "if onlys". :cool:

If you were really impressed with how the MK60 mounted and fitted, and it's in good condition despite being used, it might be worth considering. But if you're set on getting the best possible clay-busting shotgun and don't mind spending a bit more, the MK38 Sporter is a great option.

Latest posts

Back