So I Had A Bit Of L

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonko the Sane

Ok, maybe not luck but a buying opportunity.  An EvoComp showed up on one of the unmentionable shotgun forums I visit.  I say unmentionable cos they're not for the most part people that I would actually willingly associate with in real life.  At any rate the EvoComp was not unreasonably priced and had a factory recoil reducer thingie that I can prolly sell to reduce the cost some more.  Plan to put it on the fixed choke Mirage.  It's due to arrive tomorrow and that'll give me some time to fit the grip thing if it needs it and then take it out Tues for an extended test drive.The EvoComp I got off this board was a way easy fit to my wife's MX8 so I'm hoping this one will be too.

good thing it showed up as the hunter/gatherer gene was just having a screaming fit as I've committed myself to not buying any more guns, bikes, guitars, or amplifiers.  Not sure how long the fix will last   :phew:

Mildly envious again of the opportunities stateside, but congrats. I am still contemplating (coveting, pherhaps) an Evocomp but haven't had any luck on the second hand market. One offer seemed ' priced to go' but the seller wouldn't take paypal nor any other secured form of payment and wasn't very forthcoming in correspondence, so I had to let that go. Happy shooting to you and enjoy testing it out, let us know how you get on. 

So the thing arrived OK tho it had suffered somewhat at the hands of the previous owner - which had not been mentioned in the advert unfortunately.  But I decided that fighting over the small sh*te was not worth the effort.  I fitted the grip to the Mirage and the rest of it to me, guessing at the comb height sorta. 

The fires in NorCal have been producing some really unpleasant air quality but yesterday it was not so bad in the AM and I took the thing out to the club where I waste my time and $.  I only shot one box thru it (DTL targets) and I was way happy with the breaks, mostly smoke.  I did miss two not paying attention but considering that is the first time I've pulled the trigger on a target in over 6mo I just blew that off.  I only shot one box as the groove for the thumb in the grip was not accommodating my semi-arthritic  and slightly too large thumb.  I attended to that last nite and will be out Thur (air permitting) for an extensive test drive.

As it is I can whine a little about the condition but it works just fine.   It is unfortunately sorta pale like the TSK were.  There is some grain in there but pretty light.  If winter ever rolls around I'll strip the grip/comb and give it some color.  As these things go the overall shape is OK cept that the Evocomp exhibits the std German club-like aesthetic.  There is definitely a more graceful shape in there somewhere and reducing the over-exuberant contours to some extent will hopefully reveal it to a greater degree.  I mean, the Kraut soul is art free and I think that they must hire the French to design their car bodies.  Or maybe ask some Italian immigrant what looks cool.

Plenty of time to do a job on it Charlie! Re German design and engineering... they have a habit of over egging everything they make but I have the Egrosign and I think it whispers things like Panther, Tiger, King Tiger  and 88mm to those lesser TSK's  and Shoot off stocks I see over here :lol:  

BTW how much for the shock absorber  and does it work? I have the balance system ... but my gun was already butt heavy so I have not fitted it.

So you got yerself a pogo-stick then 🥴

Thought you were a traditionalist 🤔

So you got yerself a pogo-stick then 🥴

Thought you were a traditionalist 🤔
I think he has a few of those pogo sticks Ian. BTW how are things with you I miss your input as well as that of all the other old boys that used to frequent this site. I know you stopped shooting trap and had moved over to the hunting scene... to be honest I used to enjoy my days out trying to bag a pheasant or two on the syndicate I was a member of back home. I would not go near a French hunt... I am only 65 and want to live a lot longer  :lol:   all the best Ian!

I think he has a few of those pogo sticks Ian. BTW how are things with you I miss your input as well as that of all the other old boys that used to frequent this site. I know you stopped shooting trap and had moved over to the hunting scene... to be honest I used to enjoy my days out trying to bag a pheasant or two on the syndicate I was a member of back home. I would not go near a French hunt... I am only 65 and want to live a lot longer  :lol:   all the best Ian!
All good here thanks John.

I look in regular but as i dont do clays these days i dont feel that i have much to offer other than the odd topic when i stick my oar in 😁

I most certainly am a traditionalist!!  No automatics for me like some people!  I already have two other TSKs and an Evocomp.  Got the first TSK several years ago and posted it here then.

I don't use those recoil thingies on any gun I own.  I suspect that the thing that came with the stock works OK since it looks like new but I've no use for it.  The ErgoSign site says the factory price is 500E.  John, if you're interested find out what they really cost and if you'll have any fees coming from the US and I'm sure we can work something out.  

I recall reading an oooold book a few decades ago that mentioned the French hunters decimate the bird populations, all of them, and pretty much shoot anything that moves.  So does that include fellow hunters?   :lolu:

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall reading an oooold book a few decades ago that mentioned the French hunters decimate the bird populations, all of them, and pretty much shoot anything that moves.  So does that include fellow hunters?  
"One game warden, seven hunters and a pure bred Guernsey cow"  springs to mind... (Tom Lehrer indeed)

Glad to hear your stock arrived ok and that you're mostly happy with it. Did you take a file to the contour / thumb grip? Best of luck with the fire situation, nasty air doesn't sound like a fun day at the range. 

I did relieve the inside of the thumb groove to a comfy level.  The thumb had already been carved on a few years ago to little effect   :hmm:

the fires are a real problem in many many ways, but they also seem to have become a new norm for the 21stCentury.  We'd really be in some big foooking trouble if all that climate change yapping wasn't just a hoax, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back